Just talked to chevy

dd9736

Well, I just got off the phone with my local chevy dealership, and they only put anchors in for free when the car is less than 10 years old.

it'll be $180+ to get two put in my 96 cavalier, which is the newest car I can afford.

soo, I guess we'll be going to canadian tire, and doing them ourselves, and I need to know where to put them. Help?

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
How convenient for them, considering most cars less than ~10 years old don't need tether anchors as they already have them--so they wouldn't be retrofitting them in newer vehicles anyways. Call another dealer. You'll get different stories from different dealers.

-Nicole.

snowbird25ca

yeah, I agree to call another dealer. They get reimbursed from head office for it anyways. You could always just go straight to chevy and call the 800 number in your vehicle manual. :whistle:

eta: If you're doing them yourself, contact your dealer and request the info for retrofitting. Seems to me that the LATCH manual doesn't have specific info for a lot of the chevy vehicles because part #'s change. The dealership should be able to tell you where the locations are and provide an instruction leaflet if you order the part through them. But probably worth starting a new thread over in technical and installation questions asking for a LATCH manual look-up anyways to see if there's info for your specific vehicle. You might get lucky. (Check your vehicle manual too, sometimes they will tell you the location of pre-drilled holes if you happen to have them.)

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The dealer in my parents' home town gave them a similar story (told them if they had waited a few weeks more they would no longer have qualified for free installation.)

The pathetic part of their story is that there was no anchor to "install" in their vehicle - it was the type of anchor that just buckles into a third row female buckle. :rolleyes:

U

Unregistered

are the tether anchors you refer as the top one that are in the car? When did they become standard?

I totally doubt this - but can you retrofit a vehicle for latch?

snowbird25ca

are the tether anchors you refer as the top one that are in the car? When did they become standard?

I totally doubt this - but can you retrofit a vehicle for latch?

No, lower anchors cannot be retrofitted. And in vehicles that come with top tethers pre-installed, more can't be added.

U

Unregistered

GM has only ever installed one anchor for free. Second and so on are chargable. Although GM is okay with adding generic bolts, they prefer it if you use their parts. IIRC, the kit is under $20.00. I do not recall them ever having a cut-off for the free install program, but things can change. I don't see what the big deal is really. A car with pre-drilled holes only takes minutes to have a trim guy install the anchor kit.

The Cavalier will have 2-3 pre-drilled holes along the rear dash. If you look at it from underneath, they are very easy to spot. I say 2-3 because depending on the date the car was made, the middle hole may or may not be present. The kit comes with instructions and I don't recall any special tools being required - ie a torque wrench. But double check just in case.

beeman

Well there is always the "I will never own another GM product again, because their service is pathetic." Using the "F" word or the "D" word works wonders (Ford or Dodge) :whistle: .

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC