ISO Perfect Lightweight Stroller

SeattleRain

I just sold my City Mini Single because it's really not exactly what I wanted. I already have an UppaBaby Vista that I use for long walks, etc. but I wanted a lightweight stroller for the car because the Vista literally takes up the entire trunk in my car. If I'm with another mom with a stroller, forget it. The City Mini was nice, but it wasn't THAT light, and it didn't fold up small enough (I'd prefer an umbrella style fold). So I'm turning to you smart ladies to help me find the perfect lightweight stroller.

I'd like to spend less than $250 and I need to buy a rain cover to go with it. I have been looking hard at the UppaBaby G-Luxe. I want something that does NOT have a mesh seat (it's cold here) and preferably has a good amount of support to the seat. I'd like something that has a nice upright seat because my son is a toddler and likes to look around and doesn't like to lay back too much. I want something that is good for a mom 5'2" and a dad who is 5'9" without discomfort or hitting the back of the stroller. I'd prefer it not be an obnoxious color :)

Does anyone have a recommendation?

ADS

livsmum

I think your best bet would be a Maclaren Quest.

They're available on ebay for $157.25 and up.

They fold us great, weigh only 13 pounds and are so easy to steer. The seat does recline, there's a small basket and I think it's great for throwing in the car for when you're running errands.

I sold mine, and then bought the City Mini. Like you, I find it big but will probably keep it - love the canopy. I used my Mountain Buggy when out today, can't go wrong with that thing but it's NOT small.

I just sold my City Mini Single because it's really not exactly what I wanted. I already have an UppaBaby Vista that I use for long walks, etc. but I wanted a lightweight stroller for the car because the Vista literally takes up the entire trunk in my car. If I'm with another mom with a stroller, forget it. The City Mini was nice, but it wasn't THAT light, and it didn't fold up small enough (I'd prefer an umbrella style fold). So I'm turning to you smart ladies to help me find the perfect lightweight stroller.

I'd like to spend less than $250 and I need to buy a rain cover to go with it. I have been looking hard at the UppaBaby G-Luxe. I want something that does NOT have a mesh seat (it's cold here) and preferably has a good amount of support to the seat. I'd like something that has a nice upright seat because my son is a toddler and likes to look around and doesn't like to lay back too much. I want something that is good for a mom 5'2" and a dad who is 5'9" without discomfort or hitting the back of the stroller. I'd prefer it not be an obnoxious color :)

Does anyone have a recommendation?

leblanlm

Senior Community Member
I just sold my Mac XLR and am looking for another light weight stroller as well. I'm really drawn to the Cybex strollers. The Onyx has a very tall and upright seat that is not mesh. It has a firm back, reclines, and the canopy is huge. It steers wonderfully and folds very easily. It is 17lbs though, so maybe not all that lightweight. It retails for $229.

http://www.albeebaby.com/cybex-onyx-black-stroller-lipstick.html

I really like the G-Lux too. And at 11lbs with a nice sun canopy, recline, adjustable footrest, etc for only $189 it looks wonderful!

leblanlm

Senior Community Member
Ok so the Cybex is the same weight as the City Mini, so that might not work for you. I swear it didn't feel like it weighed that much though.

lanwenyi

I have a Mac Quest, which sounds about perfect for what you're saying you want. You could check out the Mac Triumph too.

However, if you're okay with the weight of the BJCM and just want the umbrella fold, I'd also rec a cybex. I REALLY want a Callisto. I find that umbrella fold strollers don't seem as heavy as flat-fold strollers even when the weight on paper is the same.

creideamh

I've had a Quest and currently own a Zapp, Callisto, and G-Lite.

The Uppababy Gs are SO much superior to Macs, IMO (hence why I sold my Quest.) It's MADE for tall people, the seat is amazingly soft and cushy, it comes with a cupholder (really, how hard is that, Mac?!), it has an incredible sunshade, and I don't break my toenail when I go to fold it. It's lighter than the Volo but the frame feels much sturdier, steers equally as well (if not better), and the basket is a nice size and easily accessible.

The Zapp is great for airport traveling, but the fold is a PITA so I use the G-Lite more regularly now.

The Callisto is HEAVY. Yeah, it says only 18lbs or whatever, but compared to the G-Lite 8.8... yikes. So, now that one is mainly our walk-around-the-neighborhood, leave-in-the-garage-already-open stroller. It does have a great sunshade as well, and it reclines with an adjustable footrest, but I find DD doesn't really care about those anymore (she prefers sitting up as well.) There are 4 positions for cupholders, but those cost extra.

HTH!

SeattleRain

Okay, so I went to look at the G-Luxe and I really liked it BUT it didn't seem to sit upright enough. I also couldn't figure out how to fold it, but I probably could get it if I wasn't wrangling a toddler and a stroller at the same time. It also seemed that the harness wasn't substantial. I have a very high energy kid, when I want him restrained I REALLY want him restrained. I find the Vista's harness to not be as substantial as the City Mini was, but it seems to really hold him in well. Is the same true of the G-Luxe?

I'll look at the Quest, I think they have that at my local BRU and I have a coupon that starts next week.

I've never heard of the SI. I have a friend with the P3 who REALLY doesn't like it. I've heard PP makes nice strollers though so who knows. Are they easily found in stores or do I have to go online?

Aren't there a few models of Cybex strollers? I know the Callisto is their larger version, but what about the others?

leblanlm

Senior Community Member
I linked to the Cybex Onyx for you in my first post.

It is heavier but I think it would work well for you. It sits really upright and the coolest part is that the harness is like a car seats. You just push a button between their legs and pull at the shoulders to loosen it and you just pull the strap between their legs to snug the whole thing up.

Their smaller stroller is the Ruby, but it has a sling type seat and has mesh on the sides. And then there is their full sized/featured Callisto.

I'm not a fan of the Si. It is smaller like a Combi and feels flimsy to me.

Last edited:

livsmum

I've also heard that they're better than the Macs - which I find hard to believe as I loved my Quest. I might look into it though.

I'm going back and forth if I want to get another lightweight stroller. I took my big Mountain Buggy Urban out today and while it's heavy to take out and put in, it's a breeze to push and the basket it big.

I've had a Quest and currently own a Zapp, Callisto, and G-Lite.

The Uppababy Gs are SO much superior to Macs, IMO (hence why I sold my Quest.) It's MADE for tall people, the seat is amazingly soft and cushy, it comes with a cupholder (really, how hard is that, Mac?!), it has an incredible sunshade, and I don't break my toenail when I go to fold it. It's lighter than the Volo but the frame feels much sturdier, steers equally as well (if not better), and the basket is a nice size and easily accessible.

The Zapp is great for airport traveling, but the fold is a PITA so I use the G-Lite more regularly now.

The Callisto is HEAVY. Yeah, it says only 18lbs or whatever, but compared to the G-Lite 8.8... yikes. So, now that one is mainly our walk-around-the-neighborhood, leave-in-the-garage-already-open stroller. It does have a great sunshade as well, and it reclines with an adjustable footrest, but I find DD doesn't really care about those anymore (she prefers sitting up as well.) There are 4 positions for cupholders, but those cost extra.

HTH!

creideamh

I've also heard that they're better than the Macs - which I find hard to believe as I loved my Quest. I might look into it though.

I really liked my Quest, too, until I tried the Gs :) As for the fold, all you do is lift up on the levers on the handles, and it just folds up. Sort of like the P3 fold, except it folds like a normal umbrella stroller (not backwards and awkwardly like the P3 (which I also owned.)) It also has the kickstand so it just stands alone easily. Love love love.

SeattleRain

This stroller doesn't get a ton of recognition around here but I truly love it...

the Chicco Liteway!!!

You know, I actually liked them better than the Macs at BRU because the canopy looked nice but I don't think it has a rain cover. Unfortunately, in Seattle, a rain cover is essential.

marjen

I really like my Peg Perego Si. It's what we use when we travel (we check it in the box when we fly). I like that it stands upright when it's folded...has a great canopy...decent storage...and is comfortable for my DD. It's not the most rock solid frame I've encountered, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons for me. I bought the Baby Planet PVC free rain cover, and it fits great. I used it at the Point Defiance Zoo in a torrential downpour, and my DD was nice and dry :)

Jillian

SeattleRain said:
You know, I actually liked them better than the Macs at BRU because the canopy looked nice but I don't think it has a rain cover. Unfortunately, in Seattle, a rain cover is essential.

Oh, ok. Maybe a universal rain cover?
I think the wheels are more substantial than the macs plus you can't beat the price. It does have a thin foot muff that comes up to about the knees? and a decent canopy, especially when you're not in recline mode. Go on youtube and watch the vid.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC