Is there such a thing as a truly portable carseat?

almostone

We are planning a 4 month trip to Europe with our 18 month old. We will be spending long stretches in one place although there will be a fair amount of weekend travel. When we are in the cities we will just take public transportation, but I'm fairly sure there will be times when we need to take a car. At this point we don't have a plan to rent a car, although thinking about it now, that might be the easiest thing. Then we can either bring or buy a carseat while we're there and no worry about lugging it around.

But if we don't I'm just wondering if there are any truly portable carseats that would be adequate to use on the occasional taxi ride. The folding radian is way too big and he doesn't fit in a infant seat anymore (which is still too big to lug around for the occasional taxi ride.) I've seen the old threads on the eddie bauer portable seat but I don't think that product is available anymore. Is there anything else like it on the market? Any suggestions for how best to deal with this dilemma? How do you travel around without lugging the massive convertible seat everywhere?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
We are planning a 4 month trip to Europe with our 18 month old. We will be spending long stretches in one place although there will be a fair amount of weekend travel. When we are in the cities we will just take public transportation, but I'm fairly sure there will be times when we need to take a car. At this point we don't have a plan to rent a car, although thinking about it now, that might be the easiest thing. Then we can either bring or buy a carseat while we're there and no worry about lugging it around.

But if we don't I'm just wondering if there are any truly portable carseats that would be adequate to use on the occasional taxi ride. The folding radian is way too big and he doesn't fit in a infant seat anymore (which is still too big to lug around for the occasional taxi ride.) I've seen the old threads on the eddie bauer portable seat but I don't think that product is available anymore. Is there anything else like it on the market? Any suggestions for how best to deal with this dilemma? How do you travel around without lugging the massive convertible seat everywhere?

The Eddie Bauer seat has two MAJOR problems:

1) It sucks as a seat. :eek: It is very, very difficult to use and thus doesn't usually get used properly.

2) Your 18-month-old ideally needs to be rear-facing and that "seat" is forward-facing only.

Then there's the whole availablity thing... :p

I don't think you have any safe way of getting around needing a convertible while you are in Europe. Sorry.

robbertbobbert

Any chance your baby will fit in a Coccoro? I really, really love mine.

I know there's the Flash stroller frame that it fits in and it seems like it would be a really, really awesome travel seat with that.

It's pretty small though .

Emi's Mommy

A Scenera is pretty easy to travel with. It comes with a carry bag and it's a very light weight seat. My 18 month old uses one rear facing in our daycare provider's car.

Eclipsepearl

I've lived in Europe for over 20 years and my three kids are born in France.

Honestly, I hate driving here. The road conditions are not ideal. Gas is super expensive ($8 a gallon here in France). The train system is good and public transport in most cities is very comprehensive. I didn't get a car until I had a second baby, and partly because they're close in age. I just couldn't manage a baby and a 2 year old on buses...

Also, I do things like grocery shopping, which you wont do.

Car seats here are expensive and the selection isn't great. You may not be able to find a rfing seat for an 18 monther. If you bring a car seat, please don't check it as luggage. Ideally, use it on board the aircraft but to do that with an American car seat, you would do better flying a U.S. company. That's a whole other subject but just giving you the heads-up.

cmcki737

I give another vote for the combi coccoro my 27 month old still fits rearfacing and it is the "most" portable convertible I've ever delt with.

sent from my SPH-M580 using Car-Seat.Org

xursusmaritimusx

the coccoro is a good suggestion but the flash stroller for it might be hard to find........

how long are you staying at each location in europe??? you say you'll be traveling for 4 months....

i would either get the coccoro or a cosco scenera and strap it to a rolling suit case if you're bringing one.....

do you plan on bringing a stroller? a lot of places in europe arent stroller friendly so when you're doing your touristy exploring, do you plan on wearing your son???? just trying to get a better idea on your traveling plans to help you better....

Eclipsepearl

Wouldn't an 18 monther be at the high end of the limits of a Corocco? Especially if it's for a 4 month trip? That would put him/her at 22 months...

Are you planning on visiting the U.K. on this trip? I'm thinking that the selection might be a bit better than elsewhere in Europe, if you're looking to buy.

cmcki737

Eclipsepearl said:
Wouldn't an 18 monther be at the high end of the limits of a Corocco? Especially if it's for a 4 month trip? That would put him/her at 22 months...

Are you planning on visiting the U.K. on this trip? I'm thinking that the selection might be a bit better than elsewhere in Europe, if you're looking to buy.

My 27 month old fits with loads of room to spare so it all depends on the child's current size and growth pattern.

Eclipsepearl

You're right. Mine are big and my youngest outgrew the Scenera at 3 1/2. Bummer though that this child is too big for an infant seat and too young for the RSTV, both of which are more travel-friendly.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
You're right. Mine are big and my youngest outgrew the Scenera at 3 1/2. Bummer though that this child is too big for an infant seat and too young for the RSTV, both of which are more travel-friendly.

Totally off-topic, but Eclipse, I just misread your signature and was rather confused. :p

I read your DS's year of birth as 99 and your DD's year of birth as 10 (instead of 01), so when I saw "both passed 5 step test," I was REALLY concerned. :doh: Thankfully I reread it.

Eclipsepearl

Lol! What's funny is that they're actually quite big but they have normal sized torsos. They're all legs and arms with hardly anything holding them together in the middle. Everyone was surprised how long they did have to be in seats and boosters. I'd point out-they're spiders!

To the OP, if you see a Sit-n-Stroll, this board will not recommend it. I had it and I have to reluctantly agree. Before the Corocco was available, it was a solution for traveling families. The car seat techs don't like the installation. Like a jack-of-all-trades, it doesn't make either a good stroller, nor a good car seat. The shoulder harness is also very low so it's quickly outgrown. I had that and the Scenera at the same time and my dd got a good 6 months' more use out of the Scenera.

http://www.lillygold.com/

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What are you bringing on the plane for him to sit in? If he doesn't have a ticket, he should get one.

I have a Coccoro for travel and I love it. My 30 month old fits rear facing still, but it would surprise me greatly if she does by her third birthday. But hey, stranger things have happened. But she's a tiny kid. Most kids outgrow it rear facing by 2-2.5. However, it would be a great option for you. Yes, with the Flash stroller for moving it around cities. I leave ours in our hotel closet when we travel, if it doesn't stay in a car. It also has a lockoff, so if your rental car doesn't have locking belts, you're still ok.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC