Is she buckled in right?

adbourgoin

I took the car seat apart to play with the straps to get them even and I washed the cover (Spot washed because it wasn't that dirty) I used the manual to make sure it was all back together right. I also moved the straps up one slot because I noticed (Just learned this yesterday from this site) that her shoulders were above the straps. I always thought that the shoulders should be at or below the slots but thats only for rear facing right?

My point in posting is I took some pictures of my daughter in the comfort sport car seat (Not in the car yet) and would like for you car seat smart people to check it out and tell me if I have it right or if I need to change something. (I'm so glad I came across this site ...you all are great!)

Thanks!

Savannah092-2.jpg

Savannah088-2.jpg

Savannah096-2.jpg

Savannah093-1.jpg

Savannah090-2.jpg

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
You are correct that the straps should be at-or-above her shoulders front facing. However, she has LOTS of room in that seat. If she's under 30 lb, you could move the straps back down and turn her rear facing. ;) Rear facing is significantly safer, so most of us keep our toddlers & preschoolers rear facing until they reach their seats' limits.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
She is adorable!

For FF, the straps are correct. It looks like the straps are nice and tight, the chest clip is positioned properly, and the harness height is correct for FF. :thumbsup: :)

She looks like she could still be RF, though. Is she under 30 pounds? Rear-facing is significantly safer, so we recommend RF to the limits of the seat.

Also, the strap covers on the harness look like after-market covers. After-market covers are not good because they can compromise the efficacy of the harness.

ETA: Sorry, I just saw that Ulrike answered while I was typing. :eek:

canadianmom2three

Patriot and Ulrike seem to have it all covered, so just wanted to add - welcome! And that you're DD is such a cutie, her little feet crossed in the first pic is so precious.

adbourgoin

Thanks girls!

She is only 21 pounds right now. We just switched her around a few weeks ago because she was not having the RF any more and I would have to stop and fix her straps and clip every mile because she would pull it down trying to get out but I will continue to try and turn her back around every now and then to see if she will take to it.

They shoulder strap covers were bought separate. They only comfort sport that we have (Stays in grandma's car) Came with the strap pads but this one did not. With out the pads it will leave a nasty red line on both sides of her neck. Is there a way to get a set from Graco that will be OK with this car seat?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks girls!

She is only 21 pounds right now. We just switched her around a few weeks ago because she was not having the RF any more and I would have to stop and fix her straps and clip every mile because she would pull it down trying to get out but I will continue to try and turn her back around every now and then to see if she will take to it.

They shoulder strap covers were bought separate. They only comfort sport that we have (Stays in grandma's car) Came with the strap pads but this one did not. With out the pads it will leave a nasty red line on both sides of her neck. Is there a way to get a set from Graco that will be OK with this car seat?

How old is your dd if you don't mind me asking? (I'm not the best at judging age by a picture. ;)) If she's not 1yr old yet, then she really has to be rf'ing still.

Maybe we could help trouble shoot some of the problems you encountered with having her rf'ing... at her weight and age she is just so exponentially safer rf'ing that if we could give you some ideas it would really make a huge difference in her protection.

I know the first thing I usually mention to a parent is recline angle because a lot of times as kids get older they start to fuss about being reclined. Older babies and toddlers/preschoolers can be as upright as 30* from verticle, and this makes many fussy babies quite happy in the car.

Sometimes there are other comfort issues as well that cause the fussing, so if you can give us an idea of what the problem was maybe we could help you figure something out. :thumbsup:

As for the strap covers, I'd definitely call Graco and ask them. Since other comfort sports come with them, it should be as simple as getting a pair sent out. The aftermarket ones aren't approved for use with your seat, but Graco should be able to provide you with some that are approved for use with your seat. :)

She really is such a cutie pie. :D

MomToEliEm

How old is your dd if you don't mind me asking?

From her previous thread (http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=51281), she stated her DD was 17 months 21 pounds and 31 inches.

At that age and weight, I would prefer to see her rearfacing (most of my reasons are found in this you-tube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8), but it is a parental decision to make. Hopefully you can continue trying to rearface her to see if she will be happier after some time. Try installing the seat more upright, as that is often more comfortable to older kids. If you get another seat soon (you mentioned the true-fit in your other post), she may prefer to rearface in that seat.

featherhead

Your dd is so cute! I agree with rear-facing, if you can make it work for you. One thing I noticed, it looks like the chest clip is maybe a bit too high, above the arm pits instead of even with them. It could just be the pictures though.

clintamykami

About the after market strap covers... When my DD outgrew her snugride I bought the roundabout. The straps would dig into her neck and leave horrible red marks. I researched strap covers and the only thing I found was if they are too long it can keep the chest clip from being properly set at armpit level. That was the only thing I found so I bought short covers. Does anyone know the reason why after market are not approved? :confused:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Does anyone know the reason why after market are not approved? :confused:

Aftermarket covers are usually quite padded. In an accident, they could compress, which would introduce slack into the harness.

Covers that are tested with the seat have been tested to make sure they don't compress too much.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Your DD is very cute. As far as the aftermarket comfort pads go they are not reccomened for use since they were not tested with the seat.

If you are worried about redmarks on her neck you can cut the toe out of baby/toddler socks and slip them on the straps. This is much thinner than the ones you are using.

adbourgoin

I will stop using the pads. I really like the baby sock idea. I will try that until I get the new car seat.

I would LOVE to have her RF but I really think its the car seat that makes her hate it because she continues to ride in my grandmothers car RF but she has a bigger car seat!

I'm thinking of maybe getting a Britax Marathon...do you think that will last her a while?

BW1426

The Britax Marathon would be a fantastic choice! Since she is older, it's okay to have the seat much more upright when RF (it can be up to a 30 degree angle as opposed to the 45 degree angle they recommend for newborns). You may be surprised, she may change her mind about it when it's more upright. The Marathon will also sit up higher so she will most likely be able to see out the window.

adbourgoin

The Britax Marathon would be a fantastic choice! Since she is older, it's okay to have the seat much more upright when RF (it can be up to a 30 degree angle as opposed to the 45 degree angle they recommend for newborns). You may be surprised, she may change her mind about it when it's more upright. The Marathon will also sit up higher so she will most likely be able to see out the window.

What about a Evenflo Triumph Advance Deluxe?

I only ask because its about $100 less then the Britax but want to make sure that I'm not getting another seat I don't like! Is it easy to install rear facing?

Sorry for so many questions but you all are helping so much.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC