Is our 1998 Toyota T100 safe for our kids?

Momma2PnS

We have a 1998 Toyota T100 with what I think is called an access cab. Fold down back bench seat, no tether points, center lap belt and no head rests in the back seat. In the past we have traveled with two Marathons and it has worked. But the boys are older now and we have all new car seats due to an accident this past year.

The truck is our only boat towing vehicle and until I figure out the safest car seat situation we have been taking two cars (yuck!).

DS1: almost 7 years, 48 lbs, 45" tall
DS2: almost 5 years, 38 lbs, 41" tall

Seats we have: Britax Frontier, Britax Parkway, Graco Nautilus & Graco Turbo Booster.

I seem to remember reading that in this particular truck that boosters just aren't safe. Now I can't find where I read it. Am I wrong? I seem to remember reading that in a booster he would most definitely have a neck injury in a collision due to the short distance between the front seat and the back seat and the way a booster works.

I need to figure out if my kids are still okay in a Graco Nautilus (for 5 yr old) and a Turbobooster (7 yr old) in this specific truck. Otherwise we need to keep driving two cars or figure out if we actually need to replace the truck (not really a great option for us right now). Or do I consider getting a higher weight limit 5pt harness for 7 yr old (also not my favorite option).

Thanks in advance.

ADS

Momma2PnS

I found this thread that says our model can't be retrofitted with anchors. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=34857

So I guess I just need to know....are my kids safe in these seats in this truck or NOT? Taking 2 cars on long trips is getting expensive and is a pain in the ass. Or is the head excursion not as big of a deal as I'm making it?

Last edited:

Momma2PnS

Does anyone else have any advice for me? My husband wants to take the boat out tomorrow. I just really need someone to tell me yes it's fine or no, I wouldn't do that.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I haven't read anything on these older threads, in an attempt to give you my unbiassed opinion...

YES you could have a whole lot safer of a situation with a different vehicle..NO, it's absolutely NOT safe for your kids to be in that vehicle...or ANY vehicle. Car crashes are the #1 cause of death among kids, and thus your kids are always at risk. The only thing you can hope for is your kids to be as safe as possible, given your financial/life situation. Sure, your T100 may be safe enough...If safe enough is good enough for you, then that's great--it works for you. If you want safer, then you know that this situation is not acceptable to you.

Nobody can answer this question for you, because it's all about your own comfort level and it's completely subjective. Would I put my kids into this truck? Probably not--I'd be concerned that, in a crash, they would sustain head injuries. I'd say the same about little sports cars (RX8, Eclipse, etc), as well.

-N.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I think she wants to know if boosters are prohibited in her vehicle?

There is a maximum head excursion limit. I don't know what it is off-hand, and I'm not sure it's possible to get an exact measurement in your vehicle because it's measured from a point on the test sled. I would think that as long as your manuals don't prohibit it, and as long as the children fit comfortably (there's room for their legs and stuff), it's fine.

How deep is the fold-down bench? The TurboBooster requires 100% of the booster to be on the seat.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I guess I missed that being the root of the question. The seats aren't side-facing, so right--as long as the manual doesn't prohibit it. Based on the measurements of the kids...they both still fit into their harnessed seats--so what has changed all of a sudden, as far as going out in this vehicle tomorrow?

-N.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I would feel reasonably comfortable with the kids in harnessed seats. Can you not put the Frontier and the Nautilus in there for the two kids?

I would feel less comfortable with the kids in boosters. Maybe not so uncomfortable that I wouldn't take the trip, but uncomfortable enough that if taking a 2nd vehicle were an option I'd do that, and I'd probably be thinking seriously about trading the truck for a more family-friendly model as soon as I could.

I don't have any particular assurance that an untethered harnessed seat is necessarily safer in this situation than a booster, but I suspect the head excursion may be slightly improved in the harness.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Brigala said:
I would feel reasonably comfortable with the kids in harnessed seats. Can you not put the Frontier and the Nautilus in there for the two kids?

I would feel less comfortable with the kids in boosters. Maybe not so uncomfortable that I wouldn't take the trip, but uncomfortable enough that if taking a 2nd vehicle were an option I'd do that, and I'd probably be thinking seriously about trading the truck for a more family-friendly model as soon as I could.

I don't have any particular assurance that an untethered harnessed seat is necessarily safer in this situation than a booster, but I suspect the head excursion may be slightly improved in the harness.

Head excursion criteria are the same for boosters and untethered harnessed seats. Ideally, tethered harnesses would be used, but it sounds like that's not a doable short-term solution and possibly not a long-term one either.

libranbutterfly said:
Fyi- nautilus also required 100% on the seat :)

I missed that there is a Nautilus in the mix. The Nautilus does require 100% of the base on the seat in booster mode, but as a harness it allows 20% overhang.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
If you came to a check with this particular situation I would check the following:

Does the vehicle manual prohibit the use of a CR on the bench?

Does the CR manual prohibit use of the CR on this particular type of seat?

If not,

How much of the CR is on the vehicle seat? 80% or more? <- that is not true for every type of CR, read manuals!

Child(ren) within weight/height limit of seat for harnessed use?

It is an acceptable situation. I understand that it may not be everyone's ideal, but not every situation is ideal. I would use harnessed seats as it sounds like the depth of the bench wot work with boosters, but likely will for harnessed seats. I'd also be mindful if how close everyone is to the object in front of them. Don't push your seat all the way back if you can, but don't put yourself in the dash either because that wouldn't be safe for you. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC