Is it a bad idea to booster train my small 6 year old?

lizsky

My daughter is 6 years old but small (42 inches and 36 pounds) and probably won't hit 40 lbs until she's 8. She was RF until only a few months ago, and rides FF harnassed in a Radian in our primary vehicle. I need to get her a new seat for our secondary vehicle, and was thinking about booster training because she is calm and mature. But as I've been browsing, I've noticed that many recommendations against boostering until a child hits 40lbs. Is it unwise to booster train now?

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I would feel comfortable booster training a calm and mature 6 year old who is a few lbs under 40 lbs. Knowing how to sit in a booster is a good skill for her to start learning in case of an emergency. For now I would keep her harnessed in the main vehicle and for any trips where you think she might fall asleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aept

I think it's fine because of her age and maturity level, just make sure you get a booster approved for use under 40 lbs. Oost some pics of her belt fit here for our collective assessment if that would be reassuring for you!
I found age 6-7 is when things started to pick up socially for my kids with play dates involving carpooling and boosters are just way easier for all that, so it is good to have one that fits her and that she rides in well. (Or that you can grab out of the other car as a spare for her friend when it's your turn to drive!)

Cnidaria

The reasoning behind the 40 lb recommendation is that it's felt that kids who weigh less than that are more likely to "submarine" under the lap belt of a booster in a crash. In Canada, kids have to be 40 lbs to move to a booster. Keep in mind that for carseat purposes, weights are with clothes and shoes - whatever the child will be wearing in the car. There does seem to be a general consensus on this board that it's reasonable (in the US) to switch kids who are getting to be older (7, 8 ) and still not 40 lbs. And I feel like there's obviously a difference in risk between boostering a child who's 38 or 39 lbs, vs. 31.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm fine with an almost-40-lb 6-year-old in a booster, providing the child meets the minimum requirements, the belt fits correctly, and the child sits properly.

My own 6-year-old (almost 7 now) hovers around 40 lbs and is in a booster seat most of the time.

lizsky

Thank you for the ideas. With clothes/shoes she is 38 lbs, so a bit closer. But I may delay the training as we have 3 across in a 2010 Ford Fusion and she can't reach to buckle and unbuckle herself because the carseats are all so close together. I guess we could keep a booster permanently buckled, but she had a hard time wiggling to get underneath. I've scoured this forum's archives about 3 across and have tried multiple configurations with the seats we have access to, but even with 2 Radians and a narrow booster (tried graco turbobooster and graco affix), there wasn't enough room for hands to reach in to buckle the booster. Its fine to hold off for awhile, but I don't know if we will ever be able to use a booster in this car without wiggling under?

lgenne

The turbobooster and affix aren't narrow at the buckle. The Radian isn't particularly narrow at the buckle, either. Do you want suggestions for alternatives that might work better?

lizsky

Sure, it would be great to have some ideas for seats that might puzzle better. I anticipate needing to buy 2 new seats in a few months when baby outgrows his infant seat.

I have a:
4 month old boy (14 pounds, 25") RF in Graco Classic Connect 22
6 year old girl (38 pounds, 42") FF in Diono Radian RXT or Britax Frontier 90
4 year old girl RF (32 pounds, 39") RF in Diono Radian RXT or Evenflo Sureride

I was thinking I'd juggle things to keep my 4 year old RF in both cars (she is close to height limit on Sureride but has lots of room in her Radian), but I'm not strongly opposed to her FF in just the secondary vehicle. Prefer to spend under $300 per seat, but I'm not in a rush and can watch for sales. Thanks for your help and ideas.

Last edited:

lgenne

The Sureride is one I was going to suggest. And it puzzles well with a Radian. You could do RF Radian for the 4yo, RF Sureride for the baby, booster for 6 year old. Or FF either seat for the 4 yo, just keep the Sureride in the middle.

For boosters, lots of things are easier than a TB/Affix. Britax Parkway SG(L) (except it has a 40 lb minimum weight), Harmony Dreamtime, Chicco Kidfit, Kiddy Cruiserfix, Maxi Cosi Rodifix.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC