Is a Maclaren worth it?

steph

***not sure if this goes here or another forum

I purchased a Cortina for Ryan almost 2 years ago. It's been great but he is 42 pounds and it only goes to 40 and it's getting hard to push.

I have a BOB revolution but it isn't exactly compact to take places. I'm wondering if I should be looking into a Mac Volo?

Would it be worth it? Ry will be 4 in March and is 42 inches and 42 pounds.

Or should I just suck it up and keep taking the BOB places?

ADS

Dillipop

Totally worth it, IMO. My 6.5 year old can still catch a ride on it if he gets tired. We don't use ours often, since the kids are 3.5 and 6.5, but it comes in handy when we go to the city and want something small (easily carried by the strap) or when we go somewhere all day. We use it to carry stuff until one of the kids needs/wants it. It takes up little space and is easy to fold/unfold when you need it.

mom2juliarose

I bought a Maclaren Triumph right before DD turned 5. It was a steal at Target and at that point it was getting difficult to push her around in the stroller we had (Baby Trend EuroTrend Sport, which had a 40 pound limit). We go to Disneyland often, and occasionally she'll conk out while we're driving to the grocery store, so it's nice to have it for things like that. I know some people don't use strollers with their older children, but we do when necessary. And DD likes having it as an option when she gets sick of walking (it was a lifesaver in Vegas this past weekend!). I love how it pushes, even with 43 pounds of her in it, and the tall seat back makes it better than any basic umbrella stroller...

That being said, I think for everyone it's different and all depends on how much you'd use it, how much you want to spend, etc. For us I have to admit I didn't mind the "splurge" because we'll be having another child, so I know it will get used then as well.

steph

It would mostly be for Disneyland and trips that are similar (zoo, mall, etc). The BOB is okay at d-land but its a pain for the tram and takes up half of the back of my Pilot.

He still gets tired and at 42 pounds it is hard to carry him!! I don't mind spending the money. Even if it's just for him. I figure it more as I spen $120 on the Cortina and it lasted 2 years - $60 a year for a good stroller isn't bad.

I could sell the Cortina but I think I'll give it to a friend of mine.

Michi

I think so - especially if you have older/heavier kids who still need a break sometimes. My 7 yr old (who has neuro issues and wears leg braces) is able to still sit in ours when she needs a rest.

erinmi

We have a Maclaren Triumph we bought when our daughter was 3 1/2, she is now 5 and we still use it when needed. It is lightweight, easy to push even with her 44 lbs of weight and compact to carry.

I would say it is worth the money!

Lemonade

I have had a few strollers and finally got a Mac Quest last summer. It is SOOOO nice. So easy to steer with one hand (while holding DS's hand as we cross streets, etc with my other hand) and just overall nice. I bought on EBAY and it was $100 less than BRU retail. It's last year's colors but I could care less. So, totally worth it.

ginny4

i love my volo!! bought it when we went on a trip to boston when DS was about 2.5yo (now 3.5yo). it is our "on the go" stroller. the one that lives in the car, takes up lil room & easy to transport (with the carry handle) whenever its needed. my 40lber loves it & my DD who is 5.5 & 48lbs still likes to catch a ride if her brother will let her. LOL DS prefers not to share his stroller.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I bought a Mac Volo specifically for DisneyWorld for B's first trip right after he turned 3. Best thing I ever bought. Paid $70 shipped on ebay, it was new in the box. LOVE it.

Here's a pic of him then:

2008-10-13BrensFirstDisneyTrip424.jpg

Since then we've used it for all of the fire parades (Daddy marches in many of them) and for the Memorial Day Parade. It's so lightweight and with the carry handle it's convenient. I take it and a chair for me and we're good to go. If he's tired, I don't have to worry I just push him and carry my chair. If he's walking with me, I put my chair bag in the seat. Works great. I got an inexpensive stroller bag (mesh) that holds alot and also a cupholder bag that SK makes. Those were helpful for Disney.

HEVY

I bought a used one when DD was almost 5 because she was all over the place in the store. Got good use out of it. I think it's worth it. I'm about to list mine on CL.

ZephyrBlue

Personally, I'd buy a Mac even if I got 1 month's use out of it. Seriously. They are worth their weight in gold. Check ebay or albeebaby for the best prices. I like a little bit of recline even for my older kids, so I'd go for the Quest (you can get one for $130 shipped on ebay), but the Volo rocks it for a plain Jane umbrella :thumbsup: and they are $100 shipped on ebay. I loved my BOB Revo. but still chose the Mac to run into stores, or where the fit was going to be super tight.

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
Yes. We have a Quest and LOVE it! Got it when our son was 18 mos. It has been all over the world. My son is 5 now and still fits in it well. We take it with us places where there will be lots of walking. Sometimes he walks and sometimes he gets tired. It also makes a great place to put packages and coats while out. I hate having to be a pack mule. I rue the day that we have to get rid of the stroller. How long is it socially acceptable to use one anyway???

emandbri

I've bought three macs and love them! I've also taken one to Disney World twice they are perfect for the trams!

I feel the need to explain why I've bought three! lol My first one got messed up by letting Jacob still using way past the weigh limit, so I bought a second one, then bought the third just for Benjamin to use at Disney World since my other two only went to 40 lbs.

Last edited:

hsjwmom

Personally, I'd buy a Mac even if I got 1 month's use out of it. Seriously. They are worth their weight in gold. Check ebay or albeebaby for the best prices. I like a little bit of recline even for my older kids, so I'd go for the Quest (you can get one for $130 shipped on ebay), but the Volo rocks it for a plain Jane umbrella :thumbsup: and they are $100 shipped on ebay. I loved my BOB Revo. but still chose the Mac to run into stores, or where the fit was going to be super tight.

Exactly this! As much as I love my Revolution, it is just too big for some stores. It's also a bit of hassle getting it out. The Quest is so light and easy to deal with.

ginny4

even tho i love my volo (posted a few posts above) i think its best for indoor or limited outdoor use. i had to get an air tired stroller for the walks up our street cause the street was tearing up the wheels on the volo. our street is very ROUGH.

poohbear

If you're not in a rush, i've seen them on clearance at brus a few times in the past few months during their "red dot clearance" (take an additional 30% off). Combined with a 15-20% off coupon, if I remember correctly, volos ranged from about $55-$70, triumphs from $70-90, quests from $110 (depending on color/store, etc)...
Not sure how often they do the red dots - one was right before thanksgiving, the other right after xmas...
They're also on ebay all the time...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC