Instead of a Radian/Diono...

teekadog

I don't like my RadianXTSL. I've had it almost 3 years, rfing and ffing. I bought it and kept it that long because it had the longest rearfacing time and it is worth all of the daily frustrations because it got my ds to over 5yrs rfing. (Yes, I feel that strongly about erf.) But youngest dc is outgrowing the Coccoro and I find myself dragging my heels to move him into the Radian because I dislike it that much. (He still fits in the cco but it's to the point that I put him in trim diapers/clothes and check his height each time I buckle him in.) So figured I would ask: Is there anything out there that rearfaces as long as or longer than a Radian?

I want to say, there's nothing wrong with the Radian. I just dislike the tricky installs. That the SL comes loose so I can't use it. The wings slip down despite everything I've tried. The crotch buckle is short but I refuse to pay for a longer one. And holy cripes the ratcheting harness. The death knell was that I've never gotten what I consider good customer service. etc etc etc At least the flora cover is pretty.

ADS

YinzerMama

I am still undecided about how long a nextfit will last in terms of an older child's happiness - it is super deep so hard to get in and out of - but it IS as tall as if not taller than the radian and can be used rf with the headrest fully extended. It only has a 40 pound rf limit but that will last most kids a good long while. It is cushy and roomy in the shoulders.

teekadog

I was under the impression a Foonf wouldn't last longer because it has a standing height limit? My ds outgrew the Radian rfing because of his height, but was still under 40lbs. Freaked me out that I still had to use the SafeStop for him! (Though I'm so glad it was there to use.)

I would love to get a rfing 5yo's opinion on the nextfit. Has carseatblog interviewed any 5yos opinions on that seat? lol

YinzerMama

I have 2 5yo girls who have been pretty agreeable to my constant car seat sampling... and a nextfit. I can shove one in for you. One of them is just under 40 pounds and I think about 43 inches. I feel like it is going to get kind of squooshed in the leg area for a bigger kid because of the depth, i think the radian and foonf are really tops for leg comfort and bigger kids.

eta - i had a foonf only briefly, i returned it, but my test subjects did not like it. They said it was hard, and asked me not to make them sit in it again.

teekadog

I looked at the stats and the standing height limit of the Foonf means he would have outgrown it faster than the Radian.

I would love to know your 5yo's opinion of the Nextfit! My ds is just under 40lbs but nearly 45" now. Of course the majority of my kids got their dad's tall gene over my short one :rolleyes:

Keeyamah

We have a Clek CPST on this board somewhere, lol (she comes and goes) and she has stated that it is clek's opinion that a child that is 43.9999" is still 43", so you technically still have until 44" like the Radian.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Graco Size4Me/MySize/Headwise is tallest on the market (again to 40.) If you have a really skinny kid the TrueFits are taller than a radian but only RF to 35.

teekadog

He hit 35lbs JUST before getting too tall for the Radian. And younger ds seems to be a bit chunkier so I wouldn't want to keep weighing him as he reached the limit- easier to eyeball their seated height than keep a scale in the garage!- otherwise I'd be all over the TF. I almost got one over the Radian and second-guessed myself right up until he hit 35lbs. Now that Graco is dealing with their sticky buckles I think I will take another look at their products. My MIL has trouble with buckles so I had pretty much written off Graco products for the past few years. They are a great price but they just aren't as pretty as the more expensive seats :eek:

Brigala

CPST Instructor
So, to summarize (no new information here, just laying it out in one spot):

The Foonf has a taller seated capacity than the Radian in terms of physical height. Long-torsoed children will get more use out of it RF. The standing height limit is only a hair (literally) shorter than the Radian's, since the Radian is 44" and Clek's definition of 43" is "anything less than 44"."

But if you have a lightweight child who won't need a weight capacity over 40 lbs, then the Graco MySize / Size4Me / Headwise is the longest lasting rear facing seat in the US. Taller, even, than the TrueFit.

YinzerMama

I think a number of people have found the size4me to be lacking in room in the crotch department, either depth of slots or shortness of strap or both, though, which might also be limiting in how long an older child can use it. It did seem to me that it could get close when I tried it but I am not sure if I was using the inner or outer slot (used to be you could only use the inner for rf, but then they changed it) You'll have to see for yourself.

Haven't got my girl in the nextfit yet to see how a kid that size fits rf - just got the seat installed in my car again this evening. Will try to get how out tomorrow.

lpperry

You could get the Size4Me or Nextfit, but keep the Radian too. If your child outgrows the Size4me or Nextfit before you are comfortable, you could use the Radian for a short time. It would be better than using a seat you hate for years!

I don't have experience with the Size4me or Nextfit, other than I bought the Size4me because I wanted to try something different than the Radian, thought it was really cool, but returned it because I couldn't love it as much as our Radians. It is interesting how one seat can be someone's absolute favorite and another can dislike it so much. The Radian seems to be one of those seats!

teekadog

I would definitely be keeping the Radian. I really respect the things is it good at because what it is good at it is very, very good at. For instance when I bought it 3 years ago it was THE seat for erf. But I am so happy there are more options now! Thank you all for helping me.

YinzerMama, I would still love to see your 5yo in a RFing nextfit if you can make it happen. Of all the suggestions here the nextfit is the one that has my heart going thumpity-thump for no reason other than car seat desire :)

YinzerMama

She wasn't being super agreeable here. This is in my husband's prius and it was kind of a tight fit to get her into the seat, with regard to the roof of the car and all, I think the lower profile of the radian is def. better for older kids in that regard. She seemed comfortable enough though.

She's almost 5y9m, 42-43 inches and 38-39 pounds.

If I had had the radian rf I would have done one of here in that for comparison. I had to turn it ff the other day to pick up my daughter unexpectedly from school. Don't feel like fighting with it now, I think I will leave it ff for the big kids and the nextfit rf for the little guy.

Attachments

• IMG_5902.jpg
    IMG_5902.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC