Installed MA-its moving 2-3"

raychie33

I just switched my 1 year old from FF to RF!!!
I installed my MA rear facing in my car and it is moving at least 2-3" in either direction. I tightened the latch things as tight as possible but I did not tether the top because I dont know how to.
Another question,I have an '06 honda accord. the latch peices I am using in the center are really the two inner connectors from the outside seats.Is that okay or should I use the seatbelt if I want the carseat in the center.
Thanks for your help

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I installed my MA rear facing in my car and it is moving at least 2-3" in either direction. I tightened the latch things as tight as possible but I did not tether the top because I dont know how to.
Another question,I have an '06 honda accord. the latch peices I am using in the center are really the two inner connectors from the outside seats.Is that okay or should I use the seatbelt if I want the carseat in the center.
Thanks for your help

Honda doesn't allow the use of LATCH in the middle seating position since there aren't dedicated anchors for it. You'll need to install it with the seat belt and lock-offs.

It's fine to put a knee into the seat to help when tightening the seatbelt. If you decide to use the rf tether, you still need the seat to be installed tight with less than 1" of wiggle room before tethering.

My guess is that with the seatbelt and putting some pressure in the seat you should be able to get it tightened down no problem. Just make sure you're using either the built in lock-offs or switching the seatbelt to the lock mode. (To do this pull the seat belt all the way out, and if you feed some back into the retractor, you should hear a soft clicking noise. If you pull on it after allowing some to go back into the retractor, then the belt should still be locked and you won't be able to pull any more out.

Good for you for turning your ds rf'ing again. It's so much safer and at his age you just may notice him sleeping more during car trips again...lol.

claudsmonet

I have an 02 Civic. The instruction manual indicates that you can not use the lower anchors for a child restraint in the center seat.

You should check your owners manuel. I believe you may need to secure the seat with the seat belt.

momof2kiddos

Thanks for your help

If you read your carseat Manual it will tell you how to teether the marathon rear-facing ;)

keri1292

Did you get it installed? You can take pics and post if you want some advice. You don't need the built in locking clips since your belt will lock. If it locks at the latchplate, buckle the seat in, kneel/squat/lay over the sides (whatever does the job) and pull shoulderbelt up thru plate to tighten. If the belt locks at the shoulder, fully extend the belt, buckle, kneel/squat/lay etc., feed the belt back through the shoulder belt holder. It ratchets in and locks a bit at a time. Let us know how you're doing!:D

flipper68

Senior Community Member
What they said. . .

AND

Make sure you're checking the movement at the belt path, not the sides of the seat. Grab the lower sides of the seat, where the seat belt goes through and move side to side - you want the < 1" there. [The farther away you are from the seat belt, the more movement you will have in a RF seat - especially compared to a tethered FF seat as it would be installed up against the seat back.

My "favorite" way to snug up a RF seat is to use my thighs/hips to push the seat down and back against the vehicle seat. This is easiest in a bigger car, but can be done in smaller cars if you move the front seats forward and upright/tilt forward as far as possible.

raychie33

I read my manual but installed it with the latch. I have to look at the seatbelt instructions.
Do I put it at the part where is says to put the seatbelt or do I put it under the seat fabric like I saw mentioned somewhere.
Also, all this is new for me so I dont really understand technical terms like lockoffs and some other words that were used.
Thanks for all your help
I will hopefully post pics in the next few days once I correct the install.

crunchierthanthou

Latch lower anchors must be 11 inches apart. It's pretty rare for the middle seat to be able to use the outboard anchors. Read your owner's manual no matter what, but you'll probably have to use a seat belt.

The seat belt usually goes under the cover, but it doesn't have to. There should be a diagram in your manual to show you where it goes (pg 12, if it's the same as mine). It's really easy to pull the cover back to see what you're doing and get it back in place when you're done. I think it's easier to get a good seat belt install if the cover is pulled back so I can feed the seat belt through while I'm tightening it.

Lock-offs are the built-in clips on the side of the Marathon. They are for seat belts that don't lock on their own (either at the buckle or at the shoulder strap retractor). You shouldn't have to use lock-offs in an '06 since it should have its own locking mechanism on the seat belt.

I also want to echo what flipper68 said about checking at the belt path. Untethered RF seats may move a few inches when tested at the back or top of the shell. There should be less than 1" of movement where it is connectedto the car.

raychie33

I think i got a pretty good fit today when I reinstalled it with the belt. Now I just have to figure out how to do the rear facing tether

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC