Question Infant Car Seat help?

nursingnellie

Hi all!

I don't want to sound like a broken record, as I'm sure there are posts like this all the time, but I'm having a really hard time deciding on an infant seat. There are just so many threads discussing the topic, I'm having trouble keeping the info straight! If you all can just point me towards a good thread, that would work, too. :)

Here's the background:
I'm due at the end of September, with my third (a girl..yay! I have two boys now.) I has been planning on getting the SR32 (as a travel system) in Aubergine, until they discontinued it. Now I want to find another SR32 to get, but there are so few patterns and I don't like any of the available ones. So I'm trying to look into all the options:

-Doesn't need to be a travel system, but I would like one that I can snap into a stroller.
-I like the idea of the KF, but am not really into the patterns. I think I would prefer the SR.
-My 2 boys each outgrew their 20-lb Evenflo (which we loved) at five - six months...the first for height, the second for weight.
-The one I like best now is the SR in Carmen, but it's a 22, not a 32. I would get it just for the pattern, though...that's how much I like it. :love:
-Don't really have the $200+ for a Britax or Peg seat...
-Two cars are: 2000 Voyager (bucket seats, not bench) and a 2000 Jetta.

Sooo...help! Just looking for some advice. BTW, does the 2009 SR have the lockoffs in the base? Or is this still just in the SR32 and SS1?

Thanks so much!

ADS

love-pink

No the sr does not have lock offs. I have a maxi cosi mico in happy flower that's super cute and I've installed it in my car a few times now (I'm not due until october). I like it a lot! And I got a quinny zapp and it snaps right on there like a travel system :) I paid $119 for the seat and $119 for the quinny on albee's website. I thought it was a awsome price. Yeah the carseat dosent go to 32lbs but I'm I only use the infant for the first 5 months or so. Then I plan on using my ma. I say get the carmen if that's what you like, just make sure it has a front adjuster ;) then get a snug glider then a stroller you love when the baby outgrows the sr. Look on albee though they have great prices on seats!!!

firemomof3

For an infant seat, it really depends on your budget. I really like the SR and I've seen them for about $80 new. Or, better yet and what I would do personally, is get a convertible seat that will fit a newborn and last through toddler. The new Graco MyRide, Radian, True Fit and EFTA all fit a newborn well :)

firemomof3

I forgot to add look for a snug rider on cl I see them on there all the time for $25-$30!! You can't beat that!

I hope that cl doesn't mean craigslist :eek: You never want to put your child in a used seat unless you trust this person 100% with the safety of your child (ie, relative or very close friend;))

ame0312

I hope that cl doesn't mean craigslist :eek: You never want to put your child in a used seat unless you trust this person 100% with the safety of your child (ie, relative or very close friend;))

im pretty sure a snug rider is a snap n go strller type thing

L

LuciaBella

How about the SR32 in Rittenhouse!? That's super cute and I have it in the Safeseat for a girl!

rexforever0

I really wanted a 32 lb infant seat when I was PG, but I received the 22 as a gift (I didn't want to return it since it matched my BOB stroller). DS is about to outgrow the SR at 7 months and 19ish lbs. He is so heavy and awkward in that thing, I am about ready to chuck it. I can hardly lift it into his stroller.

IMO, if you're going to extended RF and want the convenience of an infant seat, it doesn't really matter when they outgrow the infant seat. You're going to end up buying a convertible anyways at some point - whether it is at 7 months or 18 months.

Get the regular SR!

vonfirmath

I really wanted a 32 lb infant seat when I was PG, but I received the 22 as a gift (I didn't want to return it since it matched my BOB stroller). DS is about to outgrow the SR at 7 months and 19ish lbs. He is so heavy and awkward in that thing, I am about ready to chuck it. I can hardly lift it into his stroller.

IMO, if you're going to extended RF and want the convenience of an infant seat, it doesn't really matter when they outgrow the infant seat. You're going to end up buying a convertible anyways at some point - whether it is at 7 months or 18 months.

Get the regular SR!

Yes, you will end up buying a convertible anyways, but I found it VERY helpful to have an infant seat to cover the time until he could sit up on his own. My Safeseat lasted until Theodore was 13 months old (And would have lasted longer. He didn't outgrow it, I decided to switch him) We had a Graco Snugrider stroller and it was really nice to be able to pull him out of the car, click into the stroller, taking advantage of the WONDERFUL hood on the Safeseat during the summer until we got inside. Then we parked the stroller and got the baby outside. We didn't have to worry about the car seat getting hot in the sun, nor about having 2 car seats for childcare when one dropped off and the other picked off. (And the one time the childcare unexpectedly needed to run to the store, they could just install the car seat into the car, no worry about having no car seat for the baby). Also, it was really nice to plunk the car seat into the cart when he could not sit up on his own. (I was very surprised to discover, though it makes sense now, that you can't put a baby in the front seat of a cart from day 1. They really need to be able to sit up on their own fairly well for that!)

I very much missed the convenience when we moved to the convertible, even though we love our convertible as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC