If you had to buy a HBB for a 5 yr. old today WWYD?

AnnieW625

I don't need to but for some lame reason I am itching to buy DD1 a high back booster, but we don't need another seat, she in a Frontier, and a Safegaurd Go. Part of it is that she keeps asking me for one, and the other part of it is the stupid "oh she is starting kindergarten, and all of her friends are in high back boosters now" thing. She will use a Graco LB turbo booster most days of the week this year because her DCP will be picking her up from school (and occaisionally taking her to school; DCP drives safe cars, a mid 2000s BMW 5 or a 2010 Mini Cooper), which is no more than a 10-15 minute drive and includes no freeways.

So what would you buy? She wants a floral Turbo Booster. If I had to buy I am thinking something with headwings as she still likes to sleep in the car, or maybe just the Abby Maestro which in a year I'd hand over to DD2 because her Evenflo seat will be expiring (she'll be 2/1/2 then unless I find a Britax Roundabout 55 on clearance somewhere for less than $100).

ADS

mommycat

Me? I would get a booster and use it for any occasional carpools/friend's car/whatever (tell her it is not going to be a full time seat but a "practice and special outings" seat), and eventually when she has a bit more weight/age/experience riding I would use it in place of the Go (just because I think that seat looks so complicated and odd, but I've never seen one in person). In a year's time I would hand down one of the harnessed seats you already have, like the FR, and booster full time, rather than buying yet another seat.

I like other boosters better (cow PW and I've always wanted a Monterey but it was too wide so I've got unrequieted love...) but the TB fits very well, and if she loves a specific pattern, then hey, go for it. DS1 is happy in his TBs and sleeps exceedingly well in them. :twocents:

But that's what *I* would do, so feel free to disagree. :D

Mommy0608

I agree with the others... however, I do have one question. You say she uses a backless with the DCP? Does the DCP vehicle have head support at least to the top of her ears? Also, how does she ride - does she stay properly seated or wiggle around, play with the belt, etc.? If there is no head support in the DCP vehicle, I'd be inclined to pick up the cute Target high back Turbo and use that in the DCP vehicle. Just my :twocents:

I totally know what you mean about the bug to buy a new seat. I have it, and I have absolutely NO need for another seat! That $35 Turbo is so tempting though. :p

bnsnyde

I bought one but not to use. Does that make any sense? :)

I figured it would be a good idea to have one on hand. I bought a Vivo by Recaro.
My oldest is 5 and starting kindergarten. While we don't use boosters yet, I figured it would be nice to have in case of some emergency or urgent situation, since it's lightweight, easily portable, and I don't have to worry about trusting someone to install a convertible or harnessed seat.

So it's here. In case! (Actually, he is getting closer than I thought to 50 lbs. So his Maestro days are numbered, and that's the spare in Nana's car for him.)

AnnieW625

I agree with the others... however, I do have one question. You say she uses a backless with the DCP? Does the DCP vehicle have head support at least to the top of her ears? Also, how does she ride - does she stay properly seated or wiggle around, play with the belt, etc.? If there is no head support in the DCP vehicle, I'd be inclined to pick up the cute Target high back Turbo and use that in the DCP vehicle. Just my :twocents:

I totally know what you mean about the bug to buy a new seat. I have it, and I have absolutely NO need for another seat! That $35 Turbo is so tempting though. :p

I will have to look at the Mini Cooper more closely, which is what she rides in most of the time. DD1 is a good kid in the car and she gets that I am ANAL about proper behavior in the car. We talk about car seat safety (other than making sure her harness is tight) in the car at least once a week. I don't believe that she wiggles as the DCP has never had to tell me that DD1 has not been a good girl in the car.

JoolsPlus2 posted a link to this Safety1st Air Protect Booster as I posted this same ? on the Baby Bargains board. Any thoughts on that one? It's $30 more, but really price isn't an issue here (except I won't be forking over $279 for a Clek; might consider more than $150 for a Kiddy seat, but those aren't out yet!)

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The Safety 1st Air Protect Booster does a good job of positioning the belt. It's main "con" is that it requires vehicle head support, just like a backless booster would.

AnnieW625

The Safety 1st Air Protect Booster does a good job of positioning the belt. It's main "con" is that it requires vehicle head support, just like a backless booster would.

We have that in both of our cars, an 01 Corolla, and a 06 Pilot, however when it gets put in the higher positions does that interfere with the headrests? I know we have taken them out for our other carseats (Marathon, and Frontier) in the Pilot.

Caroline162

My 6 year old is still in a 5-point harness even though ALL of her friends have been in backless boosters for two years... I do not care LOL!

What we did was get a Turbobooster when we went to visit my mom across the country over Easter, because it was easier than lugging seats around. I used that as a test, and my then 5 year old was NOT ready to go into a booster - I was CONSTANTLY reminding her to sit up properly and having to watch her (which is not safe either!) So we talked about it and decided that we would try again after her birthday this summer. She has been riding in a spare Turbobooster that we keep for friends/relatives/etc. in her dad's truck every now and then and has been really good. I just ordered her a Sunshine Monterey and will be moving her to it in our full-time vehicle soon. If she doesn't sit properly, though, I will put her back in the Regent till she's 85 lbs, even if that means middle school LOL!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Caroline, I bet you really knew this but just in case and for any lurkers, the Regent's weight limit is 80 lbs. not 85, and it can also be outgrown by height before the weight limit is reached when the child's shoulders are above the top shoulder harness slots or the top of the ears are even with the top of the shell, whichever comes first. My now 9.5 year old maxed out a Regent height-wise about 2-3 years ago when she weighed considerably less than 80 lbs. I totally relate to wanting to reharness a child back into the Regent or another harnessed FF carseat if he/she won't consistently sit properly in a belt positioning booster, and used to wish I could have done so with wiggly DD1 for a while after she maxed out the Regent by height. :)

Caroline162

Hi Caroline, I bet you really knew this but just in case and for any lurkers, the Regent's weight limit is 80 lbs. not 85, and it can also be outgrown by height before the weight limit is reached when the child's shoulders are above the top shoulder harness slots or the top of the ears are even with the top of the shell, whichever comes first. My now 9.5 year old maxed out a Regent height-wise about 2-3 years ago when she weighed considerably less than 80 lbs. I totally relate to wanting to reharness a child back into the Regent or another harnessed FF carseat if he/she won't consistently sit properly in a belt positioning booster, and used to wish I could have done so with wiggly DD1 for a while after she maxed out the Regent by height. :)

Thank you! I was joking about the 85lbs because she is tiny and really would be in middle school by then - she is not even in the top slot for the harness right now - but appreciate the clarification. I am NOT joking that right now (at age 6) I will put her back in the Regent if she does not sit properly in the booster. If we go on really long car rides where I think she'll be sleeping, I will probably stick her back in it too. Other than taking up half the back seat, I really love that seat and think it's too bad that they stopped making it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC