I wonder if this would work....

miraclebabies

I have the Graco SS1 and of course we all now that it goes up to 30#. My 11mon. old still fits in it on the 2nd slots, with lots of room to grow. I should have used the SS1 till she met the 30# limit and then bought the Nautilus and she could have been FF and kept that it till she was at the 100# limit. Instead I love Britax and have 2 MA's and a DC. But I guess here is my question at what age did you child reach 30#. I would have saved alot of money but would it have been weird to have a 1.5 or 2yr old in a SS1 if she was under 30#?

ADS

natysr

I think this would depend on the way your child grows, but my son would have outgrown the SS1 by height long before outgrowing it by weight.

We never owned as SS1, but I've played with them in the store. My son outgrew the SS1 by height at about 32-33 months old, but he was only 25 pounds at the time. He is still RF now at 27 pounds and 3 year 5 months old.

Now, my son is must smaller than other kids his age, but I'm just trying to point out that by putting him in a convertible, I would be able to keep him safely rearfacing for much longer.

myliljunebugs

My dd outgrew the SS1 by height at just over 20lbs. Most babies will not last until 30lbs in it and even if they do they would still be able to rearface for 3-5 more pounds. :) I don't think the convertibles were a bad idea at all! :)

miraclebabies

Yea I know that is why she is in her Britax seats and is going to stay there. I love that she sits up higher and that she likes looking out the window too. I would rather keep her rear facing up to the 33# but didn't know if some 2 yr olds weigh around 30#. I put her in the Nautilus today at our local Walmart and she fit pretty well. The straps where on the bottom slots and they were just at her shoulders. My Dh thinks she is to big for her SS1 cause he thinks they are just for babies. Granted she is getting harder to carry in it but she still fits.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My dd2 fit in the SS1 till about 20 months... by height. If she follows her big sister's growth pattern, she can fit in the Marathon till at least age 4 and 33 pounds. LOTS more rearfacing time in a good tall convertible :). There are some much more bouncy babies that might only gain a month or two RF in a bigger convertible (I'm thinking those 30 pound 1 year olds who hit 33 at 15 months...), but for your more 'average' kids who hit 33 at age three, a tall convertible is definitely a benefit.

Ali

DD hit 32 lbs at 2 years 9 months, but would have outgrown the SS1 a loooong time ago. Most seats are outgrown by height before weight.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
DS2 would have fit into an SS1 until right around 22 - 23 months old. He was 27lbs at that time.

He is now 2.5 years old and weighs 28lbs. He could technically still be RFing in the MA or Radian, but it's so much easier to have him foward with all the muddy/slushy winter boots.

I'm comfortable with him FFing at this age and weight... plus our RFing weight limits are 30lbs and I am not a scale girl if I can help it. ;)

I don't think I would have been comfortable with him FFing when he outgrew the SS1, but I know people that would be.

minismom

My dd is 11 months old too. I just bought her a Britax convertible. She still has lots of room in the SS1 and I guess I'll still use it for travel but I wanted her to be more upright. Plus, I knew she'd outgrow the SS1 by height way before 30lbs, and plus, I hope to keep her RF to 33 or 35lbs, so I'd get a convertible anyway. About the Nautilus, I think another downside of getting it too early is that it will expire before your child is ready to wear a seatbelt onyl. You did well in getting a convertible, IMO! :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC