Vent I want to scream!!!

hedgefun

What bothers me the most about this type of thing, is if a girl was sitting in a blue seat no one would bat an eye. But put a boy in a *gasp* pink carseat and you are somehow doing something awful to the boy. The double standard makes me angry.

Yes, this exactly! I find it concerning that there is still a super stigma attached to boys who want to do anything that is traditionally more feminine. I like that we are progressing with girls and girls are encouraged to participate in sports, etc. But the double standard needs to go! :(

I also agree with the poster who pointed out that it's concerning that people are more likely to notice a boy in a pink seat and think it's wrong, yet they won't notice when a seat is used incorrectly and a child could actually get hurt.

ADS

mommyfrog

Here's my ds in his pink car seat. He was kicking fits for a few months about it being a girl car seat because it's pink. I don't know who told him that. He doesn't go to school yet, so it had to be one of my kids or one of my nieces. He seems to be over it now anyway!!

sebinradian002.jpg

ETA: I washed it and the monkey right after this picture. It's amazing how gross they get!! I had to wash the seat again yesterday.

Kobain's Mommy

My husband is so against gender stereotyping. Our almost 4 year old son has pink shirts, heart blankies, tea sets, princess Barbies, and for Christmas he got a 3-story doll house.

Can your husband give mine a lesson on that?

What bothers me the most about this type of thing, is if a girl was sitting in a blue seat no one would bat an eye. But put a boy in a *gasp* pink carseat and you are somehow doing something awful to the boy. The double standard makes me angry.

That's what ticks me off. No one bats an eye that DD wears some of DS's hand me down clothes but it's like he'd going to die because his seat is pink. It's a color.

DH on the other hand, has some idiot friends. One time he posted a pic of DS wearing his amber teething necklace and someone commented "why the *** is he wearing that necklace are you trying to make him GAY??"

We get that all the time since DS has had his amber on since he was a couple months. At first it was on his ankle till I was comfortable with it around his neck. It's funny his sister has the SAME one on yet no one questions a 4 month old girl with a necklace but a 21 month old boy with one somehow he'll be gay.

Exactly, because he will totally catch "teh gay" that way :rolleyes: Same way DS is screwed for life with his long hair. It drives me CRAZY.

Since DD has started school, EVERYthing is "for boys" or "for girls". Up until this past year her favorite colors were black and brown, until some kid told her she has to like pink and purple because she's a girl :crying: Now she tells DS he can't like certain things because "they're for girls" Ugh.

That's one of my fears of him at school. Right now he likes playing with his baby, as well as his cars. He's got little people and has even the chickens driving the tractor, but his favorite is the little pink and purple tent that was with that Asian little person that got recalled. For his birthday I'm thinking of getting him the Little People doll house. Also for Christmas 2010 he got the Joovy doll infant seat and this past Christmas got the matching stroller. This upcoming Christmas I want to get him the matching playpen.

I'm with you, it's infuriating. DS had long hair until this past weekend because it just seemed to suit him, and he liked ponytails (his daycare class is almost all girls), and I constantly got flack for not cutting his hair from pretty much everyone. And people we'd meet would often call him 'she' even after I said 'he' multiple times. I finally caved and cut his hair this weekend (in part because I couldn't stand it in his eyes anymore).

He's in a flora radian most of the time and he loves it; I dare anyone to say something to me about it :)

We cut DS's hair a couple weeks ago. I didn't really want it done, but I agreed under the condition I was the one with him and it was only to trim up/even out areas. His hair has grown fast since and I don't plan on taking him in to getting it done again for awhile. He's got cute curly hair and I think it will look adorable long. If he hits a point where he asks for it to be cut I'll do it.

cupcakepirate11

The rigid gender stereotypes drive me crazy. My son willl be wearing typical boy clothes and he still is called a girl. So I've given up.

Pink car seat for the win!

Kobain's Mommy

DH had DD's ears peirced just after she turned 3 months because he was sick of everyone calling her a boy. All the time they call DS a girl and DD a boy even after correcting them. Hell her bundle me is pink and she still gets called a boy.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Phineasmama said:
Yeah it's funny because my younger brother is gay and I swear he was the most boyish little boy ever!!! Everything was Thomas the Train and race car...

Last time I checked, interests don't denote sexual orientation/preference. I'm fairly certain that there are train conductors and race car drivers that have same sex partners. I've told people that if DS is gay (or DD is, for that matter) giving him a military buzz cut isn't going to change that.

gigi

#1) I've never seen an IRL pic of strawberry shake and OMG that is a pretty color!!!

#2) People are ridiculous.

#3) My husband wears pink shirts with his suits all the time and they look amazing.

#4) My son wears pink polos all summer long and they look awesome on him!

hedgefun

tarynsmum said:
Last time I checked, interests don't denote sexual orientation/preference. I'm fairly certain that there are train conductors and race car drivers that have same sex partners. I've told people that if DS is gay (or DD is, for that matter) giving him a military buzz cut isn't going to change that.

Just wanted to say I LOVE this!

tiggercat

People are just too hung up on gender stereotypes. My little guy's seat is purple, he wears a pink knit pom pom hat, an amber necklace that he doesn't want to take off, and tappy girls shoes make him so happy. But he also plays transformers with his brother, makes race car sounds and is obsessed with lightning McQueen. I encourage my kids to explore their interests regardless of their genders because really, what does the bit in his diaper have to do with which colours you can wear/sit on.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

tiggercat

Oh and the hair thing drives me batty.
My boys have longish shaggy hair, and my girl just got hers cut into a short pixie. They are happy, but people are constantly commenting about their hair and how it's time for a cut, or don't you miss your long pretty hair. Nope, she loves it short!

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Phineasmama

I hope you didn't think I was insinuating that gay people are not allowed to have stereotypically "male" pastimes. I know full well that it doesn't matter, I was just saying it's stupid that people want their boys to play with only boyish toys to "keep the gay away".

Lenae

My DS had a pink shirt for quite a while, he recently outgrew it. DH thought he looked very cute in it. My dad owns a company, one of the colors in his color scheme is light purple, just because he likes it. :shrug-shoulders: It doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

livilou

Who cares if he's in a pink seat!? It's a car seat. It's not as if you're putting him in a dress with a hair bow and pink shoes.

And I must say, I LOVE that shade of pink!!

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Nothing like gender stereotypes to bring out the ignorance in people. I'm sorry you're having to deal with it.

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
That drives me beyond insane. DS doesn't have any seats that aren't "girl" colors. My MIL is the worst about this and I'm about ready to scream at her. I'm so worried her gender stereotyping is going to effect DD soon. Yesterday I took DD out shopping for some spring clothes, we came home with two Garfield shirts, a Spiderman shirt, a pink shirt with rainbows & birds and a purple panda shirt. She has no idea there are "boy" clothes and "girl" clothes or other things.

laurengt

Gender stereotyping drives me nuts! I'm glad DH is in the same boat with me, excuse I love the spring RXT and plan to make that or plum our next seat purchase. My silver car with gray interior needs some color!!

Qarin

I am reminded of these meme-photo-with-caption that went around recently:

418185_350384388312608_255323551152026_1393158_975063139_n.jpg

It really puts the point on that a fair portion of being upset that a boy is using/wearing "girl things" is actually very much anti-girl, not just pro-boyishness (or anti-gay). It's OK to put girls in boy clothes and let them play boy games, because boy things are valuable.

mkmama

My husband is so against gender stereotyping. Our almost 4 year old son has pink shirts, heart blankies, tea sets, princess Barbies, and for Christmas he got a 3-story doll house.

LOVE it!!

My DS's had baby dolls and "girl" toys before they had sisters...any time anyone gave me flack about them having dolls (which they love to play with) I always tell them "Little boys need to learn how to be good daddies when they grow up, just like little girls need to learn how to be good mommies"...it shuts most of them up.

My husband just rolls his eyes and doesn't fight me on it..cause he knows I'll win LOL.

DS2 also rode in a Petal Radian for about 6 months, and is currently riding in a Sonata MyRide...he likes his pink seats :)

Kobain's Mommy

LOVE it!!

My DS's had baby dolls and "girl" toys before they had sisters...any time anyone gave me flack about them having dolls (which they love to play with) I always tell them "Little boys need to learn how to be good daddies when they grow up, just like little girls need to learn how to be good mommies"...it shuts most of them up.

My husband just rolls his eyes and doesn't fight me on it..cause he knows I'll win LOL.

DS2 also rode in a Petal Radian for about 6 months, and is currently riding in a Sonata MyRide...he likes his pink seats :)

I tried saying that with DS's dolls but my family just lays on the crap even more.

acoro

A little off topic but can I add what is up with classic fisher price toys being released in pink versions?! Yes I was scarred for life because my toy cash register had both red and blue colours on it. If only it was available in pink back then I may be more feminine today <sighs wistfully>

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC