I did it! I did it! Or at least I think I did....

lilliput

So after getting wholly disheartened yesterday trying to install DS#1's older RN65 (DOM 10/07) FFing in my Sienna, I thought I'd give it one more honest shot RFing. For whatever reason, I was having no luck with the thing yesterday all over the van. I think it or I was in the wrong mood... ;)The RN is still my top choice for a seat for DS#2 and I didn't want to throw in the towel completely. So I dug out the base from the basement and got to work, following some tips on other threads, and I *think* I got it. It is solid, not budging at all in any direction at the belt path, but I am not sure of the angle. Could someone please check that for me? I took pics in our garage, but I was pressed against the wall and am not sure if you can get enough perspective, and then outside, which is not quite flat, but close. If it slopes, it is sloping to the rear of the vehicle.

Also, one other question. The base pushes right up against the latch connector. Is that OK?

I've got a good 2 inches between the top of the seat and the driver's seat in my driving position.

And you'll note the SafeStop is still in place. I honestly wasn't expecting to have any luck with it and planned on putting it straight back into DH's car for DS#1 when he gets home tonight, so I didn't bother adjusting the harness to fit DS#2 yet or remove the SafeStop, let alone consider the top tether. If this install looks good, I'm going to put DS#2 in it to see what kind of extra recline happens (at 35 pounds, about 37") I am sooooo hoping it works because I would looooove to order this seat today and have it here by the end of the week.... Keeping everything crossed!! TIA!!!!!

9aqt8h.jpg

wbq4hi.jpg

j635ue.jpg

2itoozc.jpg

121y780.jpg

v4seaf.jpg

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The new ones have a different base which will make the pushing on the LATCH connectors go away.

You want to buy a higher weight Radian for an older child? I'm not certain how old DS#2 is. But for an older child that looks great!

Wendy

lilliput

:D You just made my day, Wendy!!! Nope, new RN for DS#2, who is 7.5 months and right on the verge of outgrowing his bucket seat - as in I am checking every time I put him in it. This RN is usually installed FFing for DS#1 in DH's car, and he rides in a Frontier in my car .... Had I found this site before hand, I probably would have gotten him another RN, but now we have the Frontier, and he likes it OK, I guess, but he loves his "brown seat", as he calls it.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Your DS#2 is 35 pounds and 37" at 7.5 months? :confused:

"I'm going to put DS#2 in it to see what kind of extra recline happens (at 35 pounds, about 37")"

Did you mean DS#1?

Wendy

lilliput

:eek: Holy typos batman!!! So sorry!!! DS#1 is 35 lbs, roundabout 37" and his 3rd birthday is 3 weeks away... DS#2 is 7.5 months, and I'm currently uncertain of his height, but at 6 months he was 27.5 inches. Said DS#2 is just figuring out how to scoot around on his butt and keeps getting into situations he can't get himself out of, making it difficult to think and type at the same time.... :eek:
and i did it again - yes ds#1 for a recline experiment/check....:eek: Others seem to have over-recline problems with this car/restraint combo when kids get bigger and I wanted to have an idea of what "might" happen in three years or so..... DS#1 won't ride in the seat as it is installed now (RFing in the Sienna) because he's too heavy, and DS#2 won't either because I haven't removed the SafeStop or adjusted the harness.
ETA: my FFing experiments yesterday were also to see what it *might* be like to install a RN FFing in this car when we've reached its limits RFing, not because I want to FF my 7.5 month old in a new RN. He'll be riding backwards to the limit of whatever seat it is we end up with, which will hopefully be a RN, but I wanted to see what kind of installation issues I'd be dealing with down the road when we turn him around.

Last edited:

lilliput

OK, so I put DS#1 in it just now (he was soooo confused...) and it definitely changes the recline. The top of the RN is two inches from the vehicle headrest without DS#1 in it, and one inch with him in it. Something to watch for down the road, I guess. DH and I just did the paper test, and it looks like we'd be OK with a heavier child in there. It's less than 45 degrees. Sound right?

Last edited:

NannyMom

That's why I prefered to install my newer Radian, with the old boot outboard in my Sienna. The LATCH helped keep it more upright :) Not as easy with the new boot (but some say not impossible).

christineka

I had no problems in an outboard seat with the new boot. You can scoot the car's seat backward so that it won't be so close to the front seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC