Question How to avoid "the squeeze" in the Nautilus?

kittykate

How to avoid "the squeeze" in the Nautilus? **Updated**

Updated post 13

We got a Nautlilus for DS1 about two weeks ago. All was well with the seat until this Tuesday when he started complaining that his boy part hurt every time he has been put in the seat. We have tried using the crotch pad and taking it off as well as unbuckling, having him "rearrange" and rebuckling. Nothing has worked.

Please tell me there is an easy solution to this problem! I'm ready to throw in the towel and get a Frontier, but DH is beyond irritated that I am about to replace a two week old seat.

Last edited:
ADS

mommaon112903

We ran into this problem with Josef :( But he was older and heavier when he started complaining about the "squeeze". We tried everything and nothing helped, he was also starting to feel the squeeze thru the shoulder area, my kiddo although skinny is shaped so differently :p

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Are you using the recline feature?
Are you tightening the harness to snug (can't pinch excess) but not TOO tight?
Is your ds sitting with his tailbone all the way back against the back of the seat, i.e. not slouching?

I really don't know what else to suggest. :( My ds is 4, 37lbs (less than I thought, just weighed at the ped) and we don't have any crotch issues.

zactayaus

Yeah, I'm not sure what you can do. But my very well indowed 6yo has never complained about his boy parts hurting in his GN. We use it every day and it has the crotch cover on it.:shrug-shoulders:

kittykate

Are you using the recline feature?
Are you tightening the harness to snug (can't pinch excess) but not TOO tight?
Is your ds sitting with his tailbone all the way back against the back of the seat, i.e. not slouching?

I really don't know what else to suggest. :( My ds is 4, 37lbs (less than I thought, just weighed at the ped) and we don't have any crotch issues.

We are using the recline feature, I have tried loosening the harness a smidgen which seems to help a little (ie he wasn't crying about it anymore, but still asking me to fix it because his "boy part" was in wrong.)

He doesn't seem to be slouching, but I will double check next time he is in the seat. :)

ETA: I really wish this seat had the typically shaped crotch pad. The way the pad wraps around the strap makes it really bulky and uncomfortable for my son because the strap is already coming out from under him. He actually complains less when the pad is off :( I'm pretty sure a Britax/True Fit/SKJP type pad that just goes behind the bucke would solve 90% of his problems.

DahliaRW

Ironically, my ds1 complained about this in every seat except the nautilus. Go figure! I think some kids are just more sensitive about sensory issues like how a car seat or clothes feel. What bothers one child won't bother another of identical size/build.

Niea

because the strap is already coming out from under him.

According to the Nautilus manual, the crotch strap cannot be coming out from under the child. If it is, the seat is outgrown. :( A lot of people have had this issue and I believe Graco was refunding people's money because of it.

jess71903

Ambassador
According to the Nautilus manual, the crotch strap cannot be coming out from under the child. If it is, the seat is outgrown. :( A lot of people have had this issue and I believe Graco was refunding people's money because of it.

They've clarified and said that coming out from under the child is fine if it's in the last slot and the child fits otherwise.

kittykate

Well, I finally talked to Graco and apparently they are aware of the problem and their engineers are "working on it." In the mean time they are willing to have me return the seat and give us a refund or they can replace the seat with the Cargo.

So now I have no idea what to do. We could replace the Nauti with a Frontier, but that seat has its own set of issues. I think for now I'm going to try reinstalling the seat and see if that affects the issue (he started complaining about the crotch strap after I had to take out the seat, wash the cover and reinstall the seat due to a potty accident.)

The rep I spoke with also said that they have a new seat coming out soon that is similar to the Nautilus (a "Nautilus knockoff" in the reps words) does anyone have any info on this? She said that there is no info about the new seat on the website, so it can't be the Nautilus Elite (and I think that one is available already anyways.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC