How often are there amazing infant seat deals to be had?

Holly

I've seen a few random scores of infant seats on here in the past for like $50 and below. Random Target finds or on NBD or other places.
Is that a really rare find or is it possible to bump into a deal like that fairly regularly?

Last baby is not on the way yet but is planned, would have a spring 2014 due date if the plans work out as hoped. Would be brought home from the hospital in a radian unless I can get a great deal on an infant seat somewhere, sometime. I don't want to buy one RIGHT NOW but I want to know if there is a trick to finding those kinds of deals and where is the best place to look?

I would not be picky as to which seat as long as it's a nice one. Front adjust, easy to install and use, etc. A regular Snugride (front adjust though) would do fine, I don't use infant seats forever but they are great to have in the newbie stage.
A keyfit would be awesome but may be asking too much to hope for a great deal on one.

Oh, and it would not have to be super new either, just need to have enough usable life to get 1 baby from newborn up to possibly 9 or 10 months, maybe 12 tops. My other kids were out of their infant seats by 7 months though.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Honestly I'd say it depends. If you're defining a good deal as $50 on a decently tall front-adjust seat, brand new, maybe kind of rare, but you've still probably got a shot.

If you're willing to go with used from a trusted member on Swap, and up to say $100+, I'm sure you can get a great seat gently used for that or probably find one new (heck, I regularly find OnBoard Airs for barely over $100.)

A SR22 front adjust under $90 is by no means unheard of.

T4K

NBD has Graco SnugRide 30 or 35 travel systems quite often for 110-120 if I'm not mistaken. You could sell the brand new stroller on eBay or CL.

jeminijad

The trick is to stalk.

They pop up somewhat regularly, but they don't hang around. If you are busy all day and can only get online for a little while in the evening, your chances aren't great. You know about NBD and the Wayfair clearance - check babysurplus too on eBay.

Of course the big box stores clearance cycles are good to check, too.

Holly

I've heard of people finding travel systems in Target clearance for like $40-$50 and such but I have yet to ever see something like that in my stores.
I'd want to find something like $50 or less or I'd just stick with a radian.

I have an expired seat I could use at a BRU trade in event but I doubt they would ever have clearance on something that would be low enough for me.

Since we have a convertible that would work well with a newborn, an infant seat is not a need, so we'd only justify getting one if it was a steep discount. I'm pretty sure I want one, I find them really handy when babies are so new and you don't want to wake them up just to take them out of the car.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Target Graco systems that go that low are almost always rear-adjust. Now, I did see an OnBoard for $45 there last year. (Three, actually.)

The Comfy Carry Elite is as low as $60 regular price, I believe. (That one doesn't have adjustable base, but is front-adjust.)

That said, I transfer right to the sling and rarely have a babe wake and not go right back to sleep. Also I don't allow sleeping in a sitting position like in a seat or swing at all out of the car because of the desat risk. Not until they're older, anyway.

jgomez411

I bought a Graco Stylus travel system on clearance at Target last August for $50, regular price $230. It came with the SnugRide 35. I saw them in a couple of different stores for that price.

Holly

jgomez411 said:
I bought a Graco Stylus travel system on clearance at Target last August for $50, regular price $230. It came with the SnugRide 35. I saw them in a couple of different stores for that price.

That's awesome! I'd love to find something like that! I have well over a year to look, so maybe I could.
Was it random or was it when they had other baby stuff on clearance?

jgomez411

Holly said:
That's awesome! I'd love to find something like that! I have well over a year to look, so maybe I could.
Was it random or was it when they had other baby stuff on clearance?

It was random. I go to Target quite a bit and I happened to see them one day when I went and they were marked 75% off but when I had been there a few days earlier, they didn't have those out at all. I think there was a Snugride 30 for $30 and a Graco highchair for $27 but that's all they had on clearance besides the two travel systems.

Rosey

I've scored three SR30's in my preferred print from NBD for $77 plus $6 shipping. And once I even had a 10% off code. So good deals are out there. they often have KF30's in that price range, but I prefer the Graco seat. They have SR35's too but I opted for the 30 due to the size and weight of the seat. I value portability and dont mind switching to a convertible a little earlier.

So I think you could easily find something. It's about stalking when you are ready.

Mags462

Yep to everything already mentioned!

There was a KF30 travel system marked to like 75% off at our Target last year and of course i couldn't think of a reason so buy it, so i didn't. :eek:

I would stalk NBD, Wayfair, and Target.... :D

If i run in to anything at my Target I will let you know - its really busy in terms of foot traffic (its the only super Target on this half of the state!) so they get lots of online return items that have never been opened. Particularly baby stuff. My friend works there and she said people will buy online, ship it to the person, and its not the right color or whatever off the registry so people bring it back. They are required to open the top of the box to make sure that the item matches the box but otherwise most of the seats are untouched. They had two FR85's last year that sat fooorrrreeevvvverrrr and got marked down to the sub-100's.... again I don't like that seat so i didn't buy it and i didn't feel like "turning a profit on them" either, so i resisted.

Good luck on your hunt! :)

tesslouise

I got a KeyFit30 for $100 shipped from NBD. I know that's twice what you want to spend but it was that or a convertible for me--and I haven't found a convertible for that cheap--so this gives me a year or so of wiggle room before I *need* a convertible. :)

Holly

If anyone sees any kind of amazing deal in the next year or so, let me know! If it's at Target, it would be awesome to have a UPC too because I could call around to several Targets and have better luck finding one. I also have a Buy Buy Baby about 40 minutes away that I can go to if they ever have amazing deals.

Spam

I think it's possible, especially if you aren't picky. I got my kf30 from target for $40. Also you can enter giveaways. Combi does them regularly on fb, I've won a travel system from them. There is also a mico giveaway going on now on some blog, google car seat giveaway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC