How much does the GN weigh?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The LATCH Manual says to go with the weights provided-though there is one major and several ”minor” seat producers that didn't provide it.

Next year seats will be produced with the child weight limit based on combined weight on the labels, but (assuming the rule isn't changed) we'll still have 6-10 years of seats without them in vehicles that require it...

ADS

nataliem257

Isn't part of the compliance that the seat have a sticker saying discontinue latch at x pounds, with x being the difference between 65 lbs and the seat weight? Although that will suck in this case as I think their weight is wrong, no way a nautilus weighs more than a frontier.

ETA: yeah, cross posted with 3 other people saying the same thing.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Isn't part of the compliance that the seat have a sticker saying discontinue latch at x pounds, with x being the difference between 65 lbs and the seat weight? Although that will suck in this case as I think their weight is wrong, no way a nautilus weighs more than a frontier.

Yes, but that only works if you have a new seat. If your car has gone to a 65-lb combined limit, and your seat is three years old, you have to do research to figure out the answer.

Mae

In short: This is stupid, and it's really irritating me.

I have no idea what to do.

New car seat with built in lock off?

Fork out $200 to fix the seatbelt and risk the GN breaking it again?

Wait 2 more lbs for kid? She weighs 42, GN might be 20.5lbs. 42+20 = 62lbs.

She weighs 42lbs, GN might be 26lbs. 42 + 26 = 68lbs. Already putting her at risk then, in that case.

Install with locking clip and have it be really difficult? It may not even work? IIRC, the latchplate sits right outside the beltpath which is what made it break to begin with. I imagine I won't be able to get a locking clip within 1".

:thumbsdown:

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
In short: This is stupid, and it's really irritating me.

I have no idea what to do.

New car seat with built in lock off?

Fork out $200 to fix the seatbelt and risk the GN breaking it again?

Wait 2 more lbs for kid? She weighs 42, GN might be 20.5lbs. 42+20 = 62lbs.

She weighs 42lbs, GN might be 26lbs. 42 + 26 = 68lbs. Already putting her at risk then, in that case.

Install with locking clip and have it be really difficult? It may not even work? IIRC, the latchplate sits right outside the beltpath which is what made it break to begin with. I imagine I won't be able to get a locking clip within 1".

:thumbsdown:

Can you twist the buckle stalk at all?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Just use the locking clip. It's probably not as bad as you think. Can you get the clip to lie flat in the belt path with the latchplate right outside?

I agree it's dumb.

Mae

Can you twist the buckle stalk at all?

It's already twisted. :(

Just use the locking clip. It's probably not as bad as you think. Can you get the clip to lie flat in the belt path with the latchplate right outside?

I agree it's dumb.

I'm not sure. I'll have to try later. I have a lot of homework that I'm supposed to be doing right now (if I could find my NOTEBOOK!! :mad: ) but I know I don't have her in my car for a while, so it doesn't need to be done right this second.

There's also a semi-dust storm going on right now. It's yucky.

Mae

I'm procrastinating with Crappy Pictures and Bearded Iris, too. :p. And chips. See my ETA on the last post, too.

I'll go put in my contacts and go play. :p

linneabw

Not sure if this is helpful but... When I used a locking clip with a nauti I buckled it, then unbuckled, slid the plate back & put the clicking clip on then put my weight on and rebuckled. Rock solid.

Mae

Pictures:

This is how the seatbelt would look withOUT a twist:

photo-41_zps95a6fa97.jpg

This is two full 360* twists:

photo-4_zps3d878c7a.jpg

This is an attempt at the LC:

photo-4-s1_zps1ddcbab0.jpg

I think because the belt isn't flat there in the beltpath, it wouldn't work. It's a bit curved, whereas the LC won't allow it to curve. I absolutely could not get it buckled. There was a good 2-3" between the buckle and the stalk. It. Would. Not. Move. Honestly, I don't know why. At first I thought I had put the LC on in the wrong spot; like it moved or something. Then it tried 3 more times, still no go.

Help?

Last edited:

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I know I'm being picky.

You can do three twists.

You also have some room that you can use with the lc. It has to be within an inch. I'd take that full inch and try to get it in the belt path.

Also, remember you can have up to an inch of movement in an acceptable install. It doesn't have to be rock solid. That may help in this painful install.

Mae

I know I'm being picky.

You can do three twists.

You also have some room that you can use with the lc. It has to be within an inch. I'd take that full inch and try to get it in the belt path.

I gave up after two. It started to cramp my hands, lol. So, silly question. With the 1" rule, explain it to me since I've forgotten.

Is it a 1" space between metal to metal? Like here, in the arrow?

9e0b56c3-57e8-4d52-8eae-10d2c6fc8875_zps26a5fd5a.jpg

Last edited:

Mae

So maybe do like one half twist, just so the metal isn't hitting the beltpath, and then use 1 full inch in the LC?

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I gave up after two. It started to cramp my hands, lol. So, silly question. With the 1" rule, explain it to me since I've forgotten.

Is it a 1" space between metal to metal? Like here, in the arrow?

Yes, it is the space where you have the arrow. Metal to metal.

So maybe do like one half twist, just so the metal isn't hitting the beltpath, and then use 1 full inch in the LC?

It's worth a shot.

Mae

It's not working!!!!!

I can't get it to rebuckle. I'm getting mad.

0325E498-4676-4496-A945-1AD5D3462886-2384-000000F494FF3F58_zps613ab8a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:

Mae

I quit. It doesn't work. Period.

I'm mad, tired, hot, and my fingers hurt.

The LC just won't let the seltbelt bend like it wants so, which makes the latchplate not move, which means I can't buckle it.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Hugs!! I know.

Step away. Breathe. Then loosen the install some. Give yourself some slack in the lap belt.

I was teaching lc in the car last week and I was doing this each and every time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC