How long in car seat on airplane?

E

ect876

How long would you all recommend that a child be in a car seat on an airplane? I am flying alone with 7 mos old and almost 3 year old next week- I have a seat for both and will definitly be bringing the infant seat. When faced with the "just me" logistics I am wondering if it would be ok for the toddler to not use a car seat on the airplane. My mom has my cousin's non-expired but outgrown car seat for us to use when we get there if we need it.
If your thought is to bring both seats, any logistical suggestions for how to get 2 car seats thru the airport and on to a plane?
Thanks!

ADS

KaiLing

How big is the 3 year old? Under 40 lbs the FAA recommendation is to take a car seat, and I think that's a good cut off based on when my kid fit in the belt. Under 40 lbs they just kind of fall out. I think with a squirmy 3 year old I'd rather have the car seat as child wrangling device--my kid has thrown some epic fits when tired and traveling and if I had to spend all of take off or landing holding a seat belt on a screaming 3 year old I'd likely lose my mind.

I put two seats on a folding luggage cart. The FF seat goes in the bottom of the cart, the RF seat goes inverted over the top. I secure with a bungee cord and the latch straps.

DMS721

I used a light weight Maestro when I flew with my 3 yr old. There is no way he would have been able to sit still long enough at that age. Now that he is 4, I think I would probably forgo bringing a car seat provided I had one to use at our destination.

U

Unregistered

Thanks! He's on the heavy end of 35 lbs and I was leaning towards bringing the seat just to be able to "tie him down" if anything but everything seems to think I'm crazy for bringing a seat for him when my cousin's have one we can borrow at our destination.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC