How angry would you be?

scoutingbear

Its happened here too but with my parents. They have their own set of seats for the kids. (Hbb for A and C). A couple years ago I asked my mom to pick up A at karate. She got there and realized that the booster wasn't in her car. She belted him in anyway, but did make him use hte lap/shoulder belt instead of the lap only belt that he tried to use.

Fast forward to this year. Mom was going straight from work to pick up A from daycare as I was at an appt with the other 2 kids. She, again, didn't have the booster in the car. He rode home without it. Right after that I took him out to her car and made him sit in all the positions to find out which one he would fit best in if the seat was forgotten again. He is really, really close to 5 stepping in the 3rd row.

On a better note though, a neighbor offered to pick up A from school when the school had to be evacuated. Mom told her no because he needed to be in a car seat. She then loaded up the baby and went to go stand in the lines to get him. :thumbsup:

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Honestly? I'd believe my husband that it truly just hadn't occurred to him, and then I'd try and remember that hey!! I too forget <stuff> - even really important <stuff>- sometimes, and try to act how I would want someone to act towards me when I make a stupid, thoughtless mistake. I think that getting bent out of shape because of stuff like this creates friction in marriages, and handling it maturely is super super important in regards to my relationship with dh. I personally don't want to be dressed down and berated like I'm a child, so I wouldn't treat another adult (or actually, for that matter, a child) that way.

ya, it's certainly an important issue. Yes, it needs to be talked about to make sure it is forefront in everyone's mind so that it doesn't happen again. But people forget stuff. They do. Unless you have reason to believe dh is lying to you, or it is a pattern of behavior, etc...why do you need to seethe and rant and make a big deal over what sounds to me like an honest mistake? I just don't see what good it does anybody.

Last edited by a moderator:

zactayaus

Honestly? I'd believe my husband that it truly just hadn't occurred to him, and then I'd try and remember that hey!! I too forget <stuff> - even really important <stuff> - sometimes, and try to act how I would want someone to act towards me when I make a stupid, thoughtless mistake. I think that getting bent out of shape because of stuff like this creates friction in marriages, and handling it maturely is super super important in regards to my relationship with dh. I personally don't want to be dressed down and berated like I'm a child, so I wouldn't treat another adult (or actually, for that matter, a child) that way.

ya, it's certainly an important issue. Yes, it needs to be talked about to make sure it is forefront in everyone's mind so that it doesn't happen again. But people forget stuff. They do. Unless you have reason to believe dh is lying to you, or it is a pattern of behavior, etc...why do you need to seethe and rant and make a big deal over what sounds to me like an honest mistake? I just don't see what good it does anybody.

Well I didn't make a big deal about it at all to dh other than saying that he needs to remember that ds needs to be in a booster and that he is not anywhere near big enough to be in just a seat belt. I honestly don't think dh even knew I was mad. I spoke to him just like I would to someone at a car seat check. I would never talk down to anyone and I'm sorry if that's how it sounded. I just needed to vent here because I couldn't do it to my dh or he would have known how truely pissed I was. And to be honest I can't even say I was that angry, more sick to my stomach.:( DS did get a stern talking to though because he needs to be more responsible about his own safety despite the fact that dh should have been up on that one.

ETA: And it kind of hurts my feelings that someone would assume that I talked down to or belittled my dh or anyone for that matter.:(

The booster in a back pack or the bubble bum is a good idea. I'm going to see if his top side booster will fit in his soccer back pack and if it does that will be it's new home.:)

monstah

I don't know how angry I'd be. I once let DS ride in my SIL's car to a family party and we ALL forgot to take his Oobr back out when they left. They drove from NY to NJ without realizing they had an empty HBB in their car. :doh:

I get what you're saying about your son not caring about the booster seat. My DS is the same way. He'd hop into anyone's car without a care but DD1 is crazy car seat safety conscious. I once forgot to buckle her in and she threw a fit that scared the crap out of me. :p

Here's to it never happening again! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

T4K

I love the lite rider in a bag idea. Like an emergency bag! You could even stuff clean undies and toothbrush in it. Because, well, ya never know.

luckyclov

Honestly? I'd believe my husband that it truly just hadn't occurred to him, and then I'd try and remember that hey!! I too forget <stuff> - even really important <stuff> - sometimes, and try to act how I would want someone to act towards me when I make a stupid, thoughtless mistake. I think that getting bent out of shape because of stuff like this creates friction in marriages, and handling it maturely is super super important in regards to my relationship with dh. I personally don't want to be dressed down and berated like I'm a child, so I wouldn't treat another adult (or actually, for that matter, a child) that way.

I certainly can't speak for ALL adults, but the vast majority of adults likely possess the maturity to express themselves tactfully and thoughtfully when they're pissed/disappointed/anxious/frustrated/whatever. I know I can; I do it often. And I bet the OP can as well. To assume otherwise is offensive and finger-waggy and I can see why the OP's feelings were hurt. Mine were borderline pinged and this isn't even my situation or thread (though I'm in the "super pissed" category).

bnsnyde

I'd be very, very mad.
I'd explain to DH that child never goes anywhere without a booster, ever.
And I'd explain to the child the same thing.

This is tough because 99% of people out there don't follow best practice after the legal limit (and even then they don't always). There are hardly any 9-year-olds in boosters here. So I think it takes being very, very proactive to keep your kid safe.

skaterbabs

I'd be very, very mad.
I'd explain to DH that child never goes anywhere without a booster, ever.
And I'd explain to the child the same thing.

This.

We've been in that situation. Joy is above the LEGAL age, but still too short to 5 Step. DH has driven her places (less than 5 miles) a couple of times without her booster because he left it at home or whatever (he doesn't always keep it in his car.) Needless to say, I absolutely WILL take his head off over it. It never would have occured to him to do that with either of the boys at 8, yet he seems to think it's no big deal for Joy - who is shorter than either of her brothers at the same age? Heck no!

On the flip side, a few weeks ago FIL & MIL took Gregory (almost 14 NOW! :eek: ) and Joy with them to pick up some shelves they'd bought, and so Joy's LBB was moved from MIL's car to FIL's car. They forgot to move it back, and a couple of days later MIL needed to take Joy to the rink for a lesson. It was one of those days, if I'd known I could have left MY spare, and if we'd thought about it we could have grabbed it out of FIL's car. Nope. Neither happened. So what did MIL do? She called DH, made him bring her the booster for HIS car, and got Joy to her lesson, a few minutes late, but WITH the booster. As I told her - she did the right thing. I'd have been furious if she'd gone without, and as irritating as it was that Joy was late for the lesson, I'd rather that than have her ride in MIL's Tahoe without a booster.

If my MIL can get it, my hubby sure as heck can!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC