Honda Odyssey 8 passenger 2008

sunflower

How many top tethers does it have, and at which seats?

Someone is selling theirs locally now for $13,000. It has 100,000 km., fully loaded with the extras, and all maintenance was done at Honda. Very well maintained. It's a friend we know well, so we know all the facts are correct. (It's about $3,000 more than our Grand Caravan 2010 with 70,000 km.)

We're considering getting it, as it will be way easier than our Caravan with the car seats, and allow one more child to fit in. My kids are really small, so the fact that the middle seat is narrower is not much of an issue, especially since both the Foonf and Radian fit in that space.

Due to limited tethers in the Dodge, our stats will be different in the Honda.

Can 3 boosters fit in the 3rd row?

10 & 8 yr. olds in a NBB. (Harmony)
Almost 7 yr. old in the Parkway SGL.
Almost 5 yr. old in the Foonf FF.
1.5 yr. old Foonf RF or Radian RF, whichever will fit better, though the Radian will then be needed for the next child, and DD will probably still be RF at that point. (I don't like bucket seats.)

Thanks so much!

Both RF kids are currently in the back and after 3 years of climbing to the back, or going in through the trunk, it's beyond annoying.

ADS

lgenne

I believe there are 4 tether anchors total in that generation: one in each captain's chair, and 2 in the 3rd row, although I'm not sure which seats have them in the 3rd row.

When do you expect baby #6?

katymyers

A 2008 would have five tether anchors total, there are three in the third row. The only seat without one is the center seat in the second row.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
A 2008 would have five tether anchors total, there are three in the third row. The only seat without one is the center seat in the second row.

Yep.

That second row center seat is tiny, by the way. Your oldest might five step there by the time you need it, otherwise a small booster or select rear facing seats are all that work there.

If you're looking for more useable three across options a Sienna 8 passenger of the same generation may be for you. (They also don't have the transmission issues known to occur in Odys of this era.)

sunflower

Don't know yet for #6. But I don't want to need to buy another car for a long time, and do not enjoy my Dodge.

Can 3 boosters fit in the back, or do I need to put 1 car seat with 2 boosters?

Thanks again.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It depends, but a harnessed seat would make things easier in the back. By the way, the center seatbelt geometry in both rows isn't great for backless booster (and sometimes high back or five stepper) riders.

sunflower

It depends, but a harnessed seat would make things easier in the back. By the way, the center seatbelt geometry in both rows isn't great for backless booster (and sometimes high back or five stepper) riders.

I could try the HBB in the center back, otherwise put the FF Foonf there. The center middle can have the Radian RF there, so that should fit. My DH and I are both short, so no issues with how far reclined it is. Though I'd leave it empty for now, as it isn't needed yet.

Do you have issues with your transmission as well? Did they all have issues, or not? I can ask them if they had problems, and if it was changed.

Thanks again.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We made sure to buy one that had already had the transmission replaced. The original ones are prone to sudden failure through at least 09.

I am not comfortable with the install of a rear facing radian on the second row center seat because of the way it hits the seat. As a tech with lots of radian experience, I do not believe it is acceptable per their rules the way it installs there.

The new ClickTight convertibles might work there but I've yet to try them. The Coccoro worked but you don't have that up there...

sunflower

I'll try the Foonf, and also see how my oldest fits there.

Thanks. I thought it would be smooth sailing with an Odyssey!!

henrietta

I'll try the Foonf, and also see how my oldest fits there.

Thanks. I thought it would be smooth sailing with an Odyssey!!

HAHAHAHA!!! That made me laugh!! ;);););)

There's no such thing in this case (lots of kids with car seats in the same vehicle!)

We bought an '09 Ody at the end of May. This generation Ody has 3 full sets of LATCH (second row captain's chairs and center of 3rd row) and a total of 5 top tether anchors. There is no top ta for the second row "plus one" jump seat.

Adding: In order to access the third row from the side doors, you have to be able to slide the outboard captains chair forward, and you cannot slide it forward with ANY harnessed car seat installed in the center. There isn't enough room to do so. You also have to pick up & move any booster that's on that seat, in order to slide the outboard seat forward. That isn't that difficult. In addition, others are right on--the ceiling mounted seatbelt for the center seats isn't always a great fit for booster riders. It hits my boys really high on the neck in backless boosters and is difficult to use with high back boosters. Only my nephew, who is about 55" tall & really long torsoed, has decent shoulder belt fit in this location in his booster. This isn't the worst thing in the world, but it's not the best either. I just wanted you to be aware of it. This is why a previous generation 8 passenger Sienna may work better if/when you add a 6th child and you want to all ride together (including hubby & all kids in the back). The middle seat in it is larger and it's more convenient to use day to day with 6 kids. (-; Or a 2011 or newer Odyssey.

I'm betting your 10 year old would fit well in the middle jump seat when needed, either with a Safety First Incognito (that's what seems easiest in that spot to us) or a Harmony (or maybe he'll 5 step there by the time you need it) and your youngest could be rear facing next to him in either the Radian or the Foonf with no problem. We have plenty of room to get hands in & buckle that middle seat next to the Cocorro, which is narrow like the Radian & Foonf. A forward facing harnessed child could go in the middle of the third row...and I would try installing both ways to see which works best next to the other kids, as long as that child isn't over the weight limit for LATCH.

We haven't had any transmission issues, and I don't think ours has been replaced. I haven't heard of transmission issues in the 08 and up...I thought that applied to the 01-05 or 06...and I didn't want those years for that reason. There are recalls on airbags on a bunch, but mine (so far) doesn't fall under them.

All that said, we LOVE our Ody. We only have 3 children, but I frequently drive friend's kids and my niece & nephew.

It sounds like a pretty good buy to me, esp as it's from a trusted friend and serviced properly.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC