Helping with configurations and new car

Healthymama

hello
can someone tell me what would be the best configuration and which carseats/boosters for a 2013 grand caravan?
i have 4 kids, two in boosters and two in 5pt harness. my youngest is 18 months going on 19months and in a RF chicco nexfit zip Captains chair behind passenger.

My oldest is in captains chair behind driver in a graco connext. she isnt tall enough to sit with out one. She has a 16 inch short torso from shoulder to bottom. she is going to be 11 years old in the 6th grade in August.
My second daughter is almost 9 yrs old on may 25th but she is super short, short torso. (dont know measurements) she is using a Graco Turbobooster with out the back. Model number 1770586!

she sits in the back side 3rd row behind captains chair and behind passenger. the seat sits weird too. My son is in the middle 3rd row using a Diono FF, He is 5 yrs. we have 1 spot left and its on his side behind my oldest where she sits in captains chair. she sits the BEST there. this is why i moved her in captains chair because her booster sits just perfectly, her seat belt lays on her chest just great too.

the problem is we have no room for a 5th child. My husband wants my oldest out of a booster. He knows all our kids are short (so are we) but he said to me No 5th kid if i dont sacrifice something. either buy a ugly big van that seats 10 (which we dont need or want) or no more kids period.

The cars we have looked at are the Dodge Durango, Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna ( i dont like ) Toyota Sequoia, Honda Pilot, Nissan Rogue that seats 7, Nissan Armada, Nissan Quest, Dodge Journey.

One thing that is making us getting another car is that our van has No AC or Heat in the 2nd and 3rd rows... My kids are literately sweating there behinds off during the summer months. we live in a very hot dry area.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Odyssey is a gift to parents with kids in seats. Great belt fits, headrests, tethers everywhere, and easy to install. A 2011 or newer will be like this.

The Caravan is just not a family friendly vehicle. The belt fit on the sides in the third row can be quite poor for a backless booster. The one and only tether in the third row is in the "center" but tends to take up both seats if you install there (though installing with the belt actually puts it more in the center. Handy if your child is over 38-42 pounds, the LATCH limit of the Radian).

What may work best for now is the rear facer in the third row passenger side, Radian third row center with the top tether, and boosters in the second row.

Wendy

Healthymama

The Odyssey is a gift to parents with kids in seats. Great belt fits, headrests, tethers everywhere, and easy to install. A 2011 or newer will be like this.

The Caravan is just not a family friendly vehicle. The belt fit on the sides in the third row can be quite poor for a backless booster. The one and only tether in the third row is in the "center" but tends to take up both seats if you install there (though installing with the belt actually puts it more in the center. Handy if your child is over 38-42 pounds, the LATCH limit of the Radian).

What may work best for now is the rear facer in the third row passenger side, Radian third row center with the top tether, and boosters in the second row.

Wendy

i have my son in the 3rd row center with seatbelt and anchor no latch... i love my 18 month old in the captains chair because its easy for me to put her in and out. i wont put her in the back with him. i cant give her toys, her drink or hold her hand from passenger. and i have back issues so me getting in and out with a 20lbs baby is too hard.

what is a good high back booster that will fit in the 3rd row outboard?

Healthymama

I thought i posted?
What is a good high back booster that will fit in the back for my daughter thats 8? she has to stay outboard in the 3rd row. I dont want to my put my 18 month old in the back with my son. its just too hard for me to get in and out with a 20 something pound baby. i have back issues. its too hard for me to comfort her, see her, give her toys, drink.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Your posts stay in moderation.

The Evenflo Big Kid will hopefully still fit by height. It's a good fit in your third row. Unfortunately, there are many high back boosters that have poor belt fits there.

Wendy

Healthymama

Your posts stay in moderation.

The Evenflo Big Kid will hopefully still fit by height. It's a good fit in your third row. Unfortunately, there are many high back boosters that have poor belt fits there.

Wendy

sorry i forgot! i didnt mean to double post. My husband and i decided that we are gonna just buy the Honda Odyssey after purchasing a new home this summer, furnishing it, paying off debt etc :)

so the evenflo big kid will fit in the 3rd row outboard? just for now in the Grand caravan? I found a certified tech that lives 45 mins away. we are gonna meet up around the second week of june.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
sorry i forgot! i didnt mean to double post. My husband and i decided that we are gonna just buy the Honda Odyssey after purchasing a new home this summer, furnishing it, paying off debt etc :)

so the evenflo big kid will fit in the 3rd row outboard? just for now in the Grand caravan? I found a certified tech that lives 45 mins away. we are gonna meet up around the second week of june.

Yup, it'll fit third row outboard. Nearly anything will fit in the Odyssey, but the Big Kid fits in the Caravan.

No i havent! I dont think i ever seen one.
how much are they?

Amazon.com, and $20.

Wendy

Healthymama

Has the OP considered Safety 1st Incognitos for the oldest two kids?

oh there backless boosters? i actually want/need a high back booster for my soon to be 9 yr old. i dont know if this matters but she has pdd-nos (autism and asperger symptoms) shes very short around 48.2lbs at 8yrs old and 47 1/2 inches tall. she has a short torso too.
when she sits in the graco turbobooster (no back) the seat belt kinda still lays close to her face. I dont have a picture sorry

Healthymama

Yup, it'll fit third row outboard. Nearly anything will fit in the Odyssey, but the Big Kid fits in the Caravan.

Amazon.com, and $20.

Wendy

yeah thanks. no i want my 8 yr old in a high back booster in my caravan. my other daughter is fine in her connext. this would work if my 8yr old was taller and didnt need a high back booster.

Cnidaria

(Edit: simulposted with the last 3 posts!)

The Incognito is a "booster after the booster" for really big kids that don't like being seen in a booster, but don't quite pass the 5-step test yet. It has a 60 lb weight minimum. They cost about $20. Review from an 11 year old: http://carseatblog.com/24482/ellies-safety-1st-incognito-kid-positioner-review/

The outboard 3rd row seats of the Caravan/T&C often don't work with backless boosters, though, because the seatbelt ends up too far forward of the shoulder.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Your nine year old is ok in a high back? Some kids on the spectrum need or want the hugging of a harness over a high back, but if she does well in a high back then that's a fine option for her. For small kids you can use a high back practically forever. :)

Another option if it's not the sides of the booster she wants, but just doesn't want the belt on her throat is to get a backless booster with a belt guide. Would that be an option? The Incognito doesn't come with one, but there are several backless that do.

She's also not heavy enough for the 60 pound minimum on the Incognito.

Wendy

Healthymama

The Incognito is a "booster after the booster" for really big kids that don't like being seen in a booster, but don't quite pass the 5-step test yet. It has a 60 lb weight minimum. They cost about $20. Review from an 11 year old: http://carseatblog.com/24482/ellies-safety-1st-incognito-kid-positioner-review/

The outboard 3rd row seats of the Caravan/T&C often don't work with backless boosters, though, because the seatbelt ends up too far forward of the shoulder.

okay thanks for the tips. but shes 8 and turning 9 in a week. she needs a highback booster to keep the belt away from her face. my 10 yr old also sits fine in captains chair with the connext. i cant put her in the back either. and my son likes being in the 3rd row center. our van just sucks lol. i cont want my 18 month old in the 3rd row. its just too hard for me and my back to get in and out and then i cant really attend to her.

Healthymama

Your nine year old is ok in a high back? Some kids on the spectrum need or want the hugging of a harness over a high back, but if she does well in a high back then that's a fine option for her. For small kids you can use a high back practically forever. :)

Another option if it's not the sides of the booster she wants, but just doesn't want the belt on her throat is to get a backless booster with a belt guide. Would that be an option? The Incognito doesn't come with one, but there are several backless that do.

She's also not heavy enough for the 60 pound minimum on the Incognito.

Wendy

ok so yes. im getting confused now. So i think yes, a back "less" booster would be perfect with a belt guide path like my older one. Madison (8yrold) doesnt have one. we lost it. So im going to now ask which 3 top under $50 backless boosters are best for the 3rd row back?

My oldest is fine in her seat so no need to buy a new one.

Healthymama

I watched the video. super simple, but that girl is really tall! I will need a belt guide path. what are some backless boosters for my 8yr old that come with it?

Cnidaria

I thought you said you wanted a high back booster? Sorry someone got you confused with talking about the Incognito. Give the Evenflo Big Kid highback a try.

Healthymama

I thought you said you wanted a high back booster? Sorry someone got you confused with talking about the Incognito. Give the Evenflo Big Kid highback a try.

I wanted a recommendation for high back too. i am getting confused. im being told many different things every where. on facebook on car seat safety group i was told a High back evenflo amp will work outboard in 3rd row. here im being told a backless booster wont fit right because of the seat belt. the incognito isnt good for my child because shes only 47lbs and needs the seat belt to lay on her correctly. she isnt tall enough for it. she is short, she doesnt grow every much within a year. she has developmental issues, among other things like i said previously. so shes always going to be short.

anyways. i decided on the Amp, i was told it would work. so we will see!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Amp/Big Kid/Big Kid Amp/Big Kid Sport have the same belt guide for the high back. So definitely a good choice.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC