Question Help with convertable

Corbinsmama

I have been looking at a new convertible for my daughter for months. I thought I had it down to the true fi premier but one question to the dude at BRU had me feeling like it was a terrible decision. I have a Honda civic 2008 and my son in a nautilus behind the driver. Dd is not a full 20lbs at 14 months so she will rf for a long while.

-is the TFP going to fit?
-is there a better option?
-guy recommended the symphony because of better head guard protection.

Also the guy was making me feel like an idiot because I have my skinny son in the nautilus. He's 2.5, 33lbs and 37in long. We ff him at a year because that was what we were told back then. Is he alright in this seat??

ADS

hrice

The Civic is a small vehicle and the True Fit is a very wide seat that does not fit well next to other seats.

If you have the means to do so I would purchase a new seat for both of your children and save the Nautilus for later. At 2.5 your son should still be RF for at least another 6 mos.

What is your budget? Maybe you could go with a Radian ($150+) and a Scenera ($40). You could RF your 2yo in the Radian and your baby could RF in the Scenera. When your baby outgrows the Scenera RF you could switch him to the Radian (rear facing) and move your oldest back to the Nautilus. The Scenera could then be your back up seat just in case.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Like most seats, the Symphony must be mechanically reclined rear facing. It doesn't need to be at only one angle, but it must be reclined.

The True Fit Premier may fit in your car. Not sure. It was a tight squeeze in my husband's Audi A4, so I got the regular True Fit. BRU lets you try seats out in your car, though.

The Symphony is much shorter than the True Fit since you can only use it rear facing to the second click up on the headrest.

Ignore 99% of people who work at BRU. They read the boxes and know nothing. I've argued with many of them about why three year olds shouldn't be in boosters, and how no, it's not illegal to skip the infant seat.

Try out the Premier in your car, see how it works. It'd be a great seat for a long and skinny kid.

A 2.5 year old is not terribly horribly unsafe in the Nautilus, but I'd try very hard to rear face him. At least to three, preferably closer to four years old.

Wendy

hrice

Corbinsmama said:
Thanks for the info. I asked about trying it out but got the 'corporate doesn't like us doing that' excuse.

At BRU? I have never had an issue trying seats there. They take my license at CS and off I go.

And I wanted to clarify my previous comment about the True Fit. I fell quite confident that it will fit in a Civic. My concern was it fitting next to another seat in there.

tanusscott22

I've got one behind the driver, and one behind the passenger in our Audi A6, and they fit quite well. They can be as upright as a 35 degree angle for older kids who can sit up on their own, and have good head control. That should give you some more leg room if you need it. Not really sure what it puzzles with, but our Radian fits well enough between the two TF. :)

On a side note, it has so many easy to use features, I honestly like it better than my Radian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC