Help w/ Radian or other seats KNOWN to fit, please, 3 vehicles

Catalytic

Radian XTSL, rearfacing (yes, the boot is on)

(Ignore everything about the Silverado, it's installed rock solid in there right now, I'll do the tether in the morning when I can see the floor/under the seats)

2006 Hyundai Santa Fe, 5 passenger...really need something in the center, but I'll live with an outboard if I absolutely have to (that means putting my 13 yr old in the front seat, which I do not like at all, thus the preference for a center install)

2009 Chevy Silverado 2500, CREW cab, 5 passenger...HAS to be center, we travel in this vehicle and the cupholders/armrest thing in this seating position kills a passenger riding in this seat

2004 Chevy Venture, extended wheelbase, 8 passenger. I prefer the center seat in the middle row of seats, but I will deal with somewhere else in the vehicle if I have to. I have NOT tried to install in this van yet, but I know a CPST who has done successful RF Radians in one, so I can pick her brain about this one later. This vehicle isn't running right now, so it isn't a priority at all.

Silverado is a MAJOR priority, we are going on a 5-hour trip in less than 2 weeks, I HAVE to find something that works in the center of this truck before then.

OK, so I have tried the Radian in the Hyundai and the Silverado today, crappy installs in both.

In Hyundai, tried center and passenger side, didn't try driver side because son and I were melting, will try that tomorrow. (The seat splits on the passenger side of center, I read somewhere that could cause tilting)

In the center, I can't get it tight. That is probably due to a piece of plastic where the seat folds. On the passenger side, I can get it tight, where if I try to move it side to side at the belt path, there's less than an inch, but the slightest upward motion and the seat tilts badly toward the center. SK recommended not using the locking retractor on the seatbelt, use a locking clip instead, well, that isn't going to happen, because the female end of the buckle is pulled up into the RF belt path and I can't get my hands in there to try to connect the male part to it. Tried with the stalk twisted up to 3 times and without being twisted.

Someone please tell me what the "issue" with the SuperLatch is? I much prefer seatbelt installs, but this might be doable with LATCH...I know it has a problem with loosening on some seats. Someone said that the baby can kick it or loosen it with their feet? Is that the problem, or does it loosen on its own?

Any opinions on the Mighty Tite? Does it help? SK said it HAS been tested with the Radians, and I know it can't be used with other seats. I'm willing to try it if it will help, because I really want to keep the Radian.

Done, it installs well in the center of the Silverado. In the Silverado, the same tilting problem when I lock the seatbelt. When I try a locking clip, if I use it so the seatbelt would be tight enough, we can't buckle it, even with hubby pushing the seat down, or my considerable weight in the carseat. If I loosen the clip just enough to buckle, there's well over an inch of play. (Moral of the story, do not use a 90lb 12 yr old to do a plus-size woman's job! When I did the first locked seatbelt install, I had my 12 yr old in the seat...when I climb my large behind in there, it's goes into the seat cushion quite a bit more :rolleyes: It no longer tilts and has very minimal movement at the belt path, which I think will be easily eliminated with another adult to ratchet the belt back while I stand in the seat tomorrow) Pics below for recline comments.

SK is sending me a list of techs tomorrow that have been trained on the Radians in my area, so hopefully I can catch up with one of them ASAP, but they are about 30 miles away and obviously I can only drive one vehicle at a time. I need it installed in the Hyundai for everyday use, but in the Silverado in a few weeks, so I guess I need to take both vehicles, unless they find some trick to stop the tilting, and that may solve the issue in both vehicles.

Any advice, tips, tricks? I know the Radian can be a pain, but I'm pretty limited on seats locally, so I'm doing trial and error by mail right now.

I've also tried an Advocate CS in the Hyundai, didn't get a good install with seatbelt or latch (first time I'd ever seen a bad latch install). Center install wasn't happening at all, the plastic was definitely in the way.

Graco SmartSeat was probably the most perfect seat for a center install in the Hyundai, because of the base design, it went over the plastic at the seat fold. Unfortunately the harness wouldn't tighten enough, so it went back. Ugh.

Musical carseats again, hubby is ready to kill me :D He thinks we are only buying ONE convertible...I'd like to let him keep that disillusion a little bit longer, so if the Radian is a no-go in either the Silverado or the Santa Fe, I need seat recommendations.

If I need a different seat, my priority is highest RF limit, weight wise (I have short kids), and next is highest harness weight FF (hubby really wants this to be the last harnessed seat we have to buy, but I'll buy a Frontier later if I have to, that's several years away, not going to stress over it right now)

Installed in the Silverado, center seat, shoulder belt, ratcheting:

installed.jpg

Standing back for recline comments, the truck is on level ground (someone mentioned a SmartPhone app that will measure the recline??? Can I have the name of it?):

recline.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I'm not sure about installing the Radian in your vehicles, but I can address some of the other issues in your post until someone else can respond to the install questions. :)

Super LATCH issues include children being able to loosen it with their feet and also it loosening on its own. Some people have had various issues, and others haven't. I personally haven't had an issue with the Super LATCH loosening on my Radian.

The Mighty-Tite can damage seat belts, so it's not recommended for use with the Radian or any other seats because of the damage it can cause.

If you don't find any satisfactory help with your Radian from the list of techs from SK, you might want to check out this thread for techs from this board that might be near you. You can contact techs on the list close to you by Private Message or start a thread like "Looking for a tech near (whatever location)" as well.

Other RF seats to consider weight-wise would be some seats with a 40 pound RF limit, like the Evenflo Triumph 65, the Evenflo Momentum, and the Graco My Ride. The My Ride does tend to install very reclined FF, but I loved it as a RF seat. (And I went with the "replace it with a Frontier" route when my son outgrew it RF ;)).

Catalytic

Super LATCH issues include children being able to loosen it with their feet and also it loosening on its own. Some people have had various issues, and others haven't. I personally haven't had an issue with the Super LATCH loosening on my Radian.

The Mighty-Tite can damage seat belts, so it's not recommended for use with the Radian or any other seats because of the damage it can cause.

Other RF seats to consider weight-wise would be some seats with a 40 pound RF limit, like the Evenflo Triumph 65, the Evenflo Momentum, and the Graco My Ride. The My Ride does tend to install very reclined FF, but I loved it as a RF seat. (And I went with the "replace it with a Frontier" route when my son outgrew it RF ;)).

Thanks Bree! I'm scratching Mighty Tite from my vocabulary now. Hmmm, that Super LATCH issue does concern me, I read where other people check it before putting the kiddo in it, but if it *does* loosen on its own, I would assume it could do it while the seat is occupied, as well? Will have to think on this one some. BRU near me does have at least the MyRide, I'll head over there ASAP and try it and the others, if they have them, in the Hyundai if I can't find a solution to make the Radian work.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Thanks Bree! I'm scratching Mighty Tite from my vocabulary now. Hmmm, that Super LATCH issue does concern me, I read where other people check it before putting the kiddo in it, but if it *does* loosen on its own, I would assume it could do it while the seat is occupied, as well? Will have to think on this one some. BRU near me does have at least the MyRide, I'll head over there ASAP and try it and the others, if they have them, in the Hyundai if I can't find a solution to make the Radian work.

I believe that some people have noticed that the seat loosened after removing a kiddo from the seat, so I think it's possible that the Super LATCH could loosen while the seat is occupied. I'm not really sure, but I figured I'd bump this thread for you so maybe someone with more knowledge about the Super LATCH topic (or the Radian angle and your other vehicles) can answer. :)

Cath3114

I'm not sure how much help this will be to you, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

I have a 2002 Santa Fe. My dad has a 2009 Silverado (possibly 2010, not exactly sure). I'm sure there are differences between the 2002 and 2006 Santa Fe, but again, I'm not sure. I don't recall when they changes body style.

I don't have Radian experience. But I have installed my MA 70 in both vehicles, using LATCH, with zero problems. I have done a center seatbelt install using lockoffs in the Silverado. Easy peasy. I can't do a center seatbelt install (lap only) in my Santa Fe, because the seatbelt was chewed half through by my lab.

So there's one seat most likely compatible with both of your vehicles. HTH!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Catalytic

I'm not sure how much help this will be to you, but I'll throw it out there anyway.

I have a 2002 Santa Fe. My dad has a 2009 Silverado (possibly 2010, not exactly sure). I'm sure there are differences between the 2002 and 2006 Santa Fe, but again, I'm not sure. I don't recall when they changes body style.

I don't have Radian experience. But I have installed my MA 70 in both vehicles, using LATCH, with zero problems. I have done a center seatbelt install using lockoffs in the Silverado. Easy peasy. I can't do a center seatbelt install (lap only) in my Santa Fe, because the seatbelt was chewed half through by my lab.

So there's one seat most likely compatible with both of your vehicles. HTH!

Is the MA 70 the Marathon 70? Did you install it RF? (Specifically asking about the Hyundai, I think anything will probably install well in the Silverado, though I have only tried the Radian, Keyfit30 (bases, didn't try the carseat alone), and Advocate CS.

I can get the Radian tight in the Hyundai, outboard, with a seatbelt or LATCH. It doesn't move more than an inch at the belt path side to side...but if you apply any upward pressure, it tilts badly toward the center of the car (I'm installing it passenger side).

I had the same tilting problem with the Britax Advocate CS...I could lay it down sideways on the seat, LATCH or seatbelt installs. Bought a Scenera from Target today, it doesn't even pretend to play nice in the Hyundai. First problem, it won't begin to install at 45°. I think it installs at about a 25° angle, it's as upright as it would be FF. Ignoring the horrid angle, it doesn't begin to install tightly enough to only move an inch. 3-4" at best.

SK does NOT allow pool noodles for Radian installs, it will void the warranty, and I'm not sure it would help anyway, unfortunately. I've sent pics to the SK CPST of the Radian in the Hyundai, she said it's a compatibility issue, buy a new car or drive the Silverado LOL. (It was a joke, she wasn't seriously suggesting I get a new car)

I know the 2011 Santa Fe has different rear seating than my 2006 does, but that's the extent of my Hyundai knowledge. I don't know what other years have the same seat style :( (Bought it from my mom when she bought the 2011, for hubby to drive to save gas. Then my van had a meltdown, but absolutely refuses to misbehave when i take it to the mechanic, so they can't diagnose it, argh. So...I've been driving the Santa Fe. I'm just going to take the van to my mechanic and he will drive it until it acts up for him...though God only knows how long that will take. It went 714 miles between "fits" the last time I drove it, persnickety thing. Daughter just changed her plans on where she is going to live when she moves out, so it's very likely I will be selling her the Santa Fe ASAP.)

I should note, I am only trying carseats in the center and passenger side seating positions. I have to have the driver seat all the way back to drive it (I'm fat and terrified of air bags), so most seats do not fit behind the driver seat. Could be these stupid pieces of plastic are interfering with the installs:

Img_5074.jpg

The piece to the right of the buckles is the major problem with the center. In addition, the bottom of the cupholder/armrest interfered with the Scenera install there.

Img_5073.jpg

Cath3114

Catalytic said:
Is the MA 70 the Marathon 70? Did you install it RF? (Specifically asking about the Hyundai, I think anything will probably install well in the Silverado, though I have only tried the Radian, Keyfit30 (bases, didn't try the carseat alone), and Advocate CS.

I can get the Radian tight in the Hyundai, outboard, with a seatbelt or LATCH. It doesn't move more than an inch at the belt path side to side...but if you apply any upward pressure, it tilts badly toward the center of the car (I'm installing it passenger side).

I had the same tilting problem with the Britax Advocate CS...I could lay it down sideways on the seat, LATCH or seatbelt installs. Bought a Scenera from Target today, it doesn't even pretend to play nice in the Hyundai. First problem, it won't begin to install at 45°. I think it installs at about a 25° angle, it's as upright as it would be FF. Ignoring the horrid angle, it doesn't begin to install tightly enough to only move an inch. 3-4" at best.

SK does NOT allow pool noodles for Radian installs, it will void the warranty, and I'm not sure it would help anyway, unfortunately. I've sent pics to the SK CPST of the Radian in the Hyundai, she said it's a compatibility issue, buy a new car or drive the Silverado LOL. (It was a joke, she wasn't seriously suggesting I get a new car)

I know the 2011 Santa Fe has different rear seating than my 2006 does, but that's the extent of my Hyundai knowledge. I don't know what other years have the same seat style :( (Bought it from my mom when she bought the 2011, for hubby to drive to save gas. Then my van had a meltdown, but absolutely refuses to misbehave when i take it to the mechanic, so they can't diagnose it, argh. So...I've been driving the Santa Fe. I'm just going to take the van to my mechanic and he will drive it until it acts up for him...though God only knows how long that will take. It went 714 miles between "fits" the last time I drove it, persnickety thing. Daughter just changed her plans on where she is going to live when she moves out, so it's very likely I will be selling her the Santa Fe ASAP.)

I should note, I am only trying carseats in the center and passenger side seating positions. I have to have the driver seat all the way back to drive it (I'm fat and terrified of air bags), so most seats do not fit behind the driver seat. Could be these stupid pieces of plastic are interfering with the installs:

The piece to the right of the buckles is the major problem with the center. In addition, the bottom of the cupholder/armrest interfered with the Scenera install there.

Yes, Marathon 70. And only RF (DD is only 1 and 20). Only on passenger side as well. Looking at your pictures, I'm trying to picture the backseat in my Santa Fe. I know I have the same buckle storage clips. Not sure about the piece of plastic on the side. But it does seem familiar. My mom and I switched cars last week, so when we switch back today, I will try to get back there and get some pictures for you (assuming it's not storming too bad from this tropical storm coming in).

Cath3114

And I also have a Scenera I've installed in both of the cars. The angle is terrible in the Hyundai. The vehicle seats slope so much. I need a large pool noodle to get a decent angle. I think it is an issue with all Dorel seats, as I had the same problem with an AOE in the same position. I needed the large noodle for a 35* angle.

I mostly use the noodle with the Scenera in the truck too, but I can get a decent angle without it. I bought the Scenera to stay in my mom's 2007 Buick Lucerna (center LATCH, yay!). It installs very well in her car.

Catalytic

Yes, Marathon 70. And only RF (DD is only 1 and 20). Only on passenger side as well. Looking at your pictures, I'm trying to picture the backseat in my Santa Fe. I know I have the same buckle storage clips. Not sure about the piece of plastic on the side. But it does seem familiar. My mom and I switched cars last week, so when we switch back today, I will try to get back there and get some pictures for you (assuming it's not storming too bad from this tropical storm coming in).

Britax seats can tether RF, right? Do you have yours tethered when in the Silverado? Both of my front seats are electric, and I can't find anything to tether to for RF on the passenger seat. I found something on the driver seat that *might* be acceptable, but we move that seat a lot, so even if it was a safe spot for a tether, it would be a real pain. (It's actually ON the seat, so it moves with the seat, that's why I'm thinking it would not be safe for tethering anyway.) Anyway, if you've found a spot for a RF tether in the Silverado, please share what it is.

If you don't mind, when you get your Santa Fe back, could you post pics of the MA70 and the Scenera installed? And tell me any tricks you used for the MA70? I didn't try extremely hard for a good install with the Advocate CS outboard, because at that point it was still imperative the carseat had to go in the middle, but I do know it wasn't the usual easy Britax install for sure. (It's been several months, so I can't remember if I tried any tricks to install it)

Daughter hasn't answered yet about whether she is going to buy the Santa Fe, so I still need to figure something out for it right now.

Are pool noodles acceptable by Cosco/Dorel for installing seats? I do have some, I didn't know any manufacturer considered them to void the warranty until SK told me that yesterday.

mama d

Can you expose a seat track for rf tethering? The part that bolts the seat to the floor board? That is they way I had it in our RAM. Just checking, I know yours could be different.

zactayaus

Yes Cosco/Dorel allows the use of pool noodles.

In our 2006 Silverado there was a tether anchor on the back of the front passenger seat toward the bottom on the left hand side that we used to tether our RF seat. I was the only one who sat there so I knew I wouldn't be moving the vehicle seat.

Catalytic

Can you expose a seat track for rf tethering? The part that bolts the seat to the floor board? That is they way I had it in our RAM. Just checking, I know yours could be different.

I know it's got some pretty stiff plastic covering it, and a ton of wires under the seat. I'll go see during daylight tomorrow if I can remove the plastic.

Yes Cosco/Dorel allows the use of pool noodles.

In our 2006 Silverado there was a tether anchor on the back of the front passenger seat toward the bottom on the left hand side that we used to tether our RF seat. I was the only one who sat there so I knew I wouldn't be moving the vehicle seat.

I will go hunt some more, but I didn't see anything there. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow and maybe you gals can help me figure out a spot for it. I'm not the only one who rides in that seat, but it won't be a big deal to tape a note to the dash saying not to move it, we keep it pretty far back anyway. The driver's seat does have to be moved frequently, so I don't want to tether on that side.

Thanks for the info about the pool noodles and Cosco/Dorel! Kinda thinking I'll go to TRU and try a MyRide in the Hyundai tomorrow, and if it works, order the one Target.com has for $100 right now. When my van is fixed, i can put the Radian or MyRide in it, and when he outgrows the MyRide replace it with something like the Frontier 85 or whatever is out then. (By then hubby will deploy or TDY or something and I'll just sneak it in one of the vehicles, lol...I'm sure a few of you ladies can understand that ;))

My daughter is going to buy the Hyundai, and since my van's battery has decided to croak while it's been sitting, I think I'll just have it towed to the shop. Hopefully it won't take too long to fix, and then the Hyundai will be a non-issue. That leaves me undecided whether to try the MyRide or just hold out for the van to be fixed and get another Radian, hmmmm. (I really don't want to drive the truck until the van is fixed, but if I don't have a seat in the Hyundai, I'll have to)

Decisions, decisions.

Cath3114

I can try to get pics in the Hyundai sometime this week. If you still need them, since you said your daughter was buying it. It's dark now and the tropical storm is here for the next couple days.

And I was able to tether in the Silverado. If I remember correctly, I had to dig around under the seat quite a bit. It was near the track more toward the center console. I should be able to get a pic of it Monday.

Cath3114

4225f490.jpg

Here's the backseat of my Hyundai, exactly where the seat is usually installed (you can see the white indents). I've had 4 or 5 different seats in that same spot. The piece of plastic has never given me any trouble.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC