Help me to think this out, I need new seats.

PrairieGirl

Currently I have an almost 3 year old DS RF in a TF, I think he is about 32lbs. Also an 8 month old DD just about 22lbs growing out of her snugride.

I do have a Roundabout (the older one that RF to 30lbs and FF to 40lbs).

The vehicle that they are in most is a GMC Sierra crew cab.

Here are my concerns:
Considering the fact that they are RF in a truck, and the rear window is so "close" I'm thinking that is is really important to use seats with a RF tether. So that leaves me with Britax Marathon, Advocate, Roundabout, or Radians, right?

I was wondering if it would almost be better to have my DS in the True Fit FF in the truck, as opposed to RF with his weight and no RF tether.

Also, I find the TrueFit really hard to reach the adjuster that is pressed up against the truck seat RF. Are there any RF seats that are better for this issue? On longer rides my DS often complains that he as an "owie back" and I feel bad for him that the seat is not comfortable. So I would love a comfortable seat.
The Radians just don't seem so comfortable looking to me. They are so narrow, where do they put their arms, and how do they sleep in them?

I'm also concerned that the Radians RF will be so tall to even fit in the truck.

I've kind of been looking at seats, and the Graco myride looks like a nice one. If only it had a RF tether.

I watched a lot of those crash test videos that TC had, and the Britax Marathon FF worries me. Would all Britax seats be similar in that situation?

So far it makes sense to put DD 8 month old RF in the Roundabout, that should last her for a while. I really love that seat. How about the new Roundabout with the higher weight limits? Did they make the seat taller as well?

So I've been going in circles in my head, and I always end up with Radians as the answer. But maybe I am missing something, and I wanted more opinions. And I don't know all the differences in all the radians either.

Is it okay to have RF seat in a truck without a tether?

Is the Graco myride comfortable and easy to adjust compared to the TF?

We have a second vehicle (a car), and I am not opposed to buying 2 more seats so that we don't have to be moving seats all the time. I'm thinking that in the car, it is not so important to have a RF tether. So moving the TF to the car and getting a different seat for RF the 3 year old in the truck is an option.

Sorry this is a long post, it sort of reflects the reasoning that is circling around in my head!

ADS

featherhead

Hmm, I would be nervous, too, without rf tethers. I think I would definitely try the Radians, if you can. They are comfy, don't worry:) My dd will be 3 in June, and she is rear-facing in a Radian. She loves to drape her legs over the sides, etc. And she sleeps in it no problem.

The Roundabout50 is the same size as the Marathon, but only rated to 50 lbs. The up side is that I'm pretty sure it has a 35 lb rear-facing limit. As for the TC videos, I'm pretty sure all the large Britax converitbles use the same shell. I personally would not use a Britax ff, but others that have seen the videos would. It's up to you.

Some find the MyRide easy to adjust rear-facing, but I don't. The adjuster isn't buried the same way the True Fit is, but it is still VERY hard. I think that's about the only thing I dislike about the MyRide. I much prefer the harness adjuster on the Radian.

PrairieGirl

Thanks for your advice featherhead! I think I should find some radians and try to see if they fit. Another thing that I've noticed about radians is that they have a low profile. The other seats seem to sit up high on a base usually.
Is the lower radian a lot safer because the kid is sitting lower? Does it work that way? Are they still able to see out the window happily sitting so low?

I am a bit confused as to all the different radians. Are all those cushions and inserts that I see on them only for small babies? For a three year old would I even be using those?

The Roundabout that we have with the push button adjuster is really nice. I might consider that seat again, just for that feature. But that is good to know that you find the radian okay to adjust RF.

featherhead

Thanks for your advice featherhead! I think I should find some radians and try to see if they fit. Another thing that I've noticed about radians is that they have a low profile. The other seats seem to sit up high on a base usually.
Is the lower radian a lot safer because the kid is sitting lower? Does it work that way? Are they still able to see out the window happily sitting so low?

I am a bit confused as to all the different radians. Are all those cushions and inserts that I see on them only for small babies? For a three year old would I even be using those?

The Roundabout that we have with the push button adjuster is really nice. I might consider that seat again, just for that feature. But that is good to know that you find the radian okay to adjust RF.

Sunshine Kids seems to think being lower makes them safer. I tend to agree. It's more like part of the car. My 2 year old can see out the window. I'm not sure exactly what she sees, but she usually knows where we are going, etc.

There are three different models of Radian. The 65 is the base model, nothing extra. The Premier is the next step up. It has extra cushions to support babies. Those same cushions can also be used for head pillows for toddlers/preschoolers. The XT is the top model. It has reinforced head wings which would most likely be a benefit in a side impact collision. Right now I have the 65 version, which is nice enough. If you get the newest models, which are called the 2010 model, they have higher rear-facing limits. The 65 is 40 lbs, the Premier and XT are 45 lbs. I'm hoping to get an XT for the higher rear-facing limit, and because I really like the Ventura cover:)

The Roundabout does have a really nice adjuster. I'll explain a little about the Radian adjuster. It is a ratcheting system. So you have to pull hard several times, and you will feel it tighten a little bit each time. I find it very easy. The MyRide I can pull all I want, and it just doesn't seem to tighten. It also feels like I am moving the whole seat when I try to tighten it. So I much prefer the Radian:)

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
We have a Radian, and both my 4yo FF and 3yo RF find them super comfy. Here are a few pics. My 3yo RF in the Radian for a trip that was 5-6 hrs each way and never complained.

Last edited:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Another seat to consider for the truck is the Truefit Premiere. It doesn't tether rfing, but is has this giant paddle thing that you flip forward to lay against the vehicle seat that acts the same as a tether. The harness adjuster is much more accessible on the Premiere also.

For your current Truefit, after you install it tightly, if you take a couple of small rolled washcloths and wedge them against the vehicle seat on both sides of the harness adjuster, it will hold the vehicle fabric out of your way and make it easier to adjust.

featherhead

Another seat to consider for the truck is the Truefit Premiere. It doesn't tether rfing, but is has this giant paddle thing that you flip forward to lay against the vehicle seat that acts the same as a tether. The harness adjuster is much more accessible on the Premiere also.

For your current Truefit, after you install it tightly, if you take a couple of small rolled washcloths and wedge them against the vehicle seat on both sides of the harness adjuster, it will hold the vehicle fabric out of your way and make it easier to adjust.

forgot about that one! Though it will only be available April I believe.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC