HELP!!!! Completely and utterly frustrated w/Radian install in '04 Civic.

Farm_Mama

We LOVED our Radian.... until DD reached the 40lb limit for LATCH in our vehicle. We don't actually own a scale, but I'm pretty sure that she's there or darn close so I wanted to be on the safe side and switch to seatbelt. However, I could just absolutely positively scream now!!! I CAN NOT get the stupid thing tight enough. And frankly, it doesn't even make sense. The seat belt is so tight that the shoulder belt portion is smashing into the seat where it comes up on the side. I did my very very bestest(for an 8mo preggo gal) and then I had DH tighten some more, unbuckle and twist the buckle stalk twice and rebuckle. He could BARELY get it clicked back in because it was SO tight but when you grab the side of the darn seat it moves like crazy. WHAT ARE WE DOING WRONG?!?!?!?

Just so you have all the info... we installed FF facing, passenger side outboard, w/top tether, not reclined.

Since I can't get it tight enough for my comfort, I'm considering moving DD (5yrs/40ish lbs/46") to our FPSV until we get this figured out(NOT FULL TIME!). We've got LOTS of driving to do this week and I'm not at all comfortable with the Radian right now. Or, would I be better off using LATCH for now?? Seems that I've read that LATCH bars are standard for every vehicle and the limits are purely up to the manufacturer and that Honda is just ultra conservative. So I don't think I'd be uncomfortable using LATCH for the week if that gave us a tight install. Is that bad??

Thanks in advance for your help!

ADS

Farm_Mama

I will go try it reclined right now. **crossing my fingers and hoping that helps!**

As for center.... even if it did work, it would be a very short term fix as the baby coming in a couple weeks will be in a RF Radian and that MUST be in the center. We'd have to ride on the dashboard to fit it outboard.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Did you try not locking the belt until it was tight? That helps. Also, some positions in some cars definitely need the recline mode.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Try it with the recline. It makes an insane amount of difference.

Also, something I discovered in our VW (not sure if it's relevant, but worth a try) is this...

In this pic, the install was way too loose:
IMG_1554.jpg

Here it's rock-solid:
IMG_1553.jpg

The only difference is that in the second pic, I started with just a small gap between the base of the carseat and the bight. When I tightened it, I compressed straight down - don't push it back at all, just focus on pushing down.

Pixels

Follow the tips here http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=28939

I have an 02 Civic. The first time I installed the Radian FFing seatbelt, it was super super loose. I read ^ that thread, followed the tips in it (mainly reclining the seat and positioning it away from the bight), and got it in snugly. It's not quite rock-solid, but it is definitely moving less than one inch at the belt path (which is the requirement).

Don't forget to do up the top tether. Connect it to hold it out of the way, but don't tighten it, before you do the seatbelt. Tighten the seatbelt, then tighten the tether. The top tether does not have to be super tight like the seatbelt does. Just take out all the slack.

BW1426

I agree with everything the PPs have said. Here's what I do when I have to install with a lap shoulder belt:

1. Put seat in recline mode.
2. Pull seat away from seat bite.
3. Route seat belt through, but don't lock belt yet. buckle it. Make sure your top tether is accessible when for when you'll need it in the end.
4. Undo velcro slot of cover closest to belt and pull. If the belt is too close to the seat, I unbuckle and twist the belt stalk down (you can do this up to 3 full 360 degree rotations--but you'll likely need help holding and buckling at some point when doing this).
5. Pull slack out through the velcro slot (kneel into the seat).

The biggest tricks are making sure the seat isn't flush with the bottom back of the radian and getting that belt stalk twisted down if need be.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Farm_Mama

WOW!! I followed all of your suggestions to the letter (recline, pull away from seat a bit, push DOWN not back) and holy cow it is tighter than it has ever been!! EVER. With latch, I was always able to get an 'acceptable' install, but now I really know what 'rock solid' means.

Thank you all SOOO much!! I love my Radian once again. :love:

Nisha

Not pushing the seat all the way back has made a HUGE difference in DH's car - I was so happy to learn that tip!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
It's such a funny seat that way - you wouldn't think such minor adjustments could make such a huge difference!

I'm glad you get to love your Radian again. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC