Help choosing combination booster and LATCH question

jbrighto

Hello!

I'm in the market for a combination booster seat for my son, and would like some advice.

Some info to help you help me: :)
DS is 3.5 years old, 38 lbs., and 38.5" tall.
I don't have his seated height, but he has outgrown the shoulder slots on his Graco convertible seat (which I dislike).
We have a 2005 Subaru Forester and 2006 Subaru Tribeca, however we may be trading one or both of those in on a minivan. So, I would like to go with a seat that fits most cars universally, rather than something that is good for the Subarus.

I obviously want to be able to keep him harnessed as long as possible, so I'm leaning toward the Britax Frontier (or Frontier 85, as I believe it is now?). We have loved our Boulevard, and Marathon. Is that a good choice? Is there anything else you would recommend?

Additionally, I thought there was a weight limit on the LATCH system, but I can't find anything in my owner's manuals about a weight limit. Please educate me. Either way, I believe the Frontier can be installed for harness mode with the seatbelt, right?

Many, many thanks in advance! :)

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
All seats can be installed with just the seat belt. So latch is not that big of a deal. All seats should always be tethered. Seats that you will want to look at are the Frontier 85, Graco Nautilus, and Recaro Prosport. Maybe the Evenflo Maestro also.

The Graco convertible you have is probably the comfort sport and is outgrown quickly, due to low top harness height. I will post the latch limits here in a sec.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Subaru has revised its LATCH limit since that .pdf list from the 2005 edition of the LATCH manual was published, though. The revised Subaru info. from the 2009 LATCH manual states Subarus have a LATCH installation weight limit of 60 lbs. which is the combined weight of the child plus the carseat. This combined LATCH weight limit is unique to Subaru. Other vehicle manufacturers still specify the LATCH install limit by the child's weight only, ranging from 39 to 48 lbs. depending on the specific vehicle manufacturer.

jbrighto

Thanks for the info. I will look at the other seats you mentioned. I think I dislike our current Graco seat so much that I didn't even give the Nautilus a chance.

Thanks for the LATCH limits link. I thought forward-facing seats were always tethered, but it looks like there is a limit on the tether with safety belt? Does that mean you just use the safety belt with no tether after that limit is reached?

nevaehsmommy

The graco nautilus is a really great seat. Tall top slots and the ability to convert to booster mode.And it fits most children well in booster mode as well. not all your combo or 3-1 seats do. .

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, continue to use the top tether. *IF* it fails, which we've never seen, its job will already be done. And the job is important enough, IMO to risk it.

Wendy

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Definity check out the Nautilus. To me it gets an A and your comfortsport would get an F for length of use. Many on here like. The Nautilus better then the Frontier and its $100 cheaper.

Also what position is he riding in? Outboard or middle?

jbrighto

Definity check out the Nautilus. To me it gets an A and your comfortsport would get an F for length of use. Many on here like. The Nautilus better then the Frontier and its $100 cheaper.

Also what position is he riding in? Outboard or middle?
Outboard - passenger side. Subaru didn't recommend installation in the middle seat.

Thanks, again.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
And yet they put tether anchors in the middle position.

They don't recommend it because they know it's a tricky spot. However, if you can get a seat in there they're fine with it.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC