He can loosen the harness

Sarabela

Neil has been reaching down and loosening the harness on his boulevard. He isn't doing it every time we are in the car, just once in a while which worries me because I might not see that he has done it until we get to our destination. When I have noticed that he has done it I pulled right over and made sure he knew that was a no-no. Anyone have any tips on what to do in this situation (other than the obvious behavior modification type of thing)? Like is there something I can do to the seat/cover to make it so he cannot physically do it anymore? I have 2 covers for each seat, mosaic which has the velcro flap and barrington which has the sewn down the sides flap and I switched to the barrington thinking he would not be able to do it with that one but he can, the flap is shorter than the velcro one. I was thinking of sewing down the velcro flap on the mosaic because the flap is longer and I dont think he could reach up under it if he couldnt lift the flap.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can sew down the flap. I don't know what to suggest about the one with the new cover that has it sewn in already. Maybe sew the hole smaller? I'm not sure. I'd call Britax and double check, maybe, that it'd be ok for you to sew the cover shut completely and then put the strap under the cover so it only comes out by his feet. PITB, but it may be what needs to happen.

Wendy

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
What about calling Britax for the trainer kit? It was intended for the MA, but aren't the harness adjuster mechanisms the same?

Susan

Sarabela

What about calling Britax for the trainer kit? It was intended for the MA, but aren't the harness adjuster mechanisms the same?

Susan
Cool thanks! I didn't know there was such a thing and I just called Britax and they said yes, they would ship me 2 trainer kits. What exactly are they?

crunchierthanthou

The training tool is a little plastic guard that makes it so the lever can't be reached from above.

If he's able to maneuver to loosen through even the slit type cover, you may want to check harness tightness to start with. It should be tight enough that you cannot pinch a horizontal fold over his shoulder.

Sarabela

They are definitely tight enough, my DH complains that he thinks I tighten them too much. Can't pinch anything. The cover I have with a slit is much higher up than the cover with the velcro flap so it is actually easy for him to reach, if only they made the newer covers with the slits have the flap as big as the older ones with the velcro I think he would not be able to reach it. Let me see if I can take pictures to show you what I mean. Here, I would have put the boys in for the pics but they are napping.
Barrington cover, slit type
IMG_0001-3.jpg

Mosaic, velcro flap
IMG_0002-4.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC