Harness straps on Advocate CT not tightening evenly

akmflinn

So I was having this problem with my B-Safe, now it's happening with the Advocate. The straps are tightening unevenly, and when I loosen them one of them feels like it catches on something. It will loosen to a point, stop, then if I pull again it feels like it releases from being caught on something and loosens a little more.

I lowered the headrest to the lowest position so I could see the splitter plate, and when I tighten the straps (with no baby in the seat) it looks like the splitter plate gets hung up on something also. It doesn't slide up evenly and smoothly when I pull the strap to tighten the harness--one side goes up higher than the other and it looks like it catches. It is REALLY ANNOYING to me that the entire back of the seat is covered in plastic so I can't see what's happening.

I did remove the HUGS (are they still called that?) from the straps because I couldn't get a good fit on my 3-month-old with them on, so I had to unhook the straps from the splitter plate to get them off then rethread them. I think they are threaded correctly, but it's hard to tell because, again, the back of the shell is completely covered with plastic so I can't see.

Any ideas? I can get them both tight enough so I can't pinch any webbing, but one is tighter than the other and my baby hates it!
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There have been a few issues with the ClickTight convertibles with some of them coming attached wrong from the factory. Carseatblog just ran an update on one of them, actually. I would encourage you to follow both ends of each harness strap to their attachment points and make sure they are correctly connected. You should be able to check the splitter plate attachment end by lowering the harness, loosening it all the way, and pulling down at the bottom to check it. Another benefit is that if it's catching, sometimes loosening and tightening all the way will fix it. If it's correctly attached all around and loosening and tightening doesn't fix it, you might want to try a different position in the car for installation- to see if some vehicle contour is causing a weird angle pressing on the splitter plate or another part of the seat on one side while tightening.

If none of that helps, seats have been known to come with one strap abnormally long or short. You should then call Britax and they should help you fix the problem, by giving further instructions or replacing the straps or seat for you as they deem appropriate.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC