Question Graco Highback Turbobooster in GMC Sierra

Calgarymom

My DH is laughing at me for once again turning to the internet late at night to solve my car seat woes. Prove him wrong please!

DD is almost 6 (43 lbs) and a stickler for sitting properly in her Britax Frontier in our van.

I read a lot on here about Graco turbobooster highback - thought it would be a good choice for our ~2001 GMC Sierra (4 doors, so a real back seat). It seems so FLOPPY when she is in it, the highback doesn't stay put if she goofs (on request). One thing that may be the concern is that the seat is a little curvy and the highback is not exactly flat.

We have yet to actually drive with it, but we will need to do so in the next two days, so if the Graco is a flop, I need to swap it and get a replacement and/or reinstall her Radian.

Any advice, suggestions, etc. Please and thanks in advance!
Nicole

ADS

zactayaus

We had our highback TB's in a Crew Cab Chevy Silverado (I believe it's the same as the GMC Sierra) for many, many years and we've never had an issue with them.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Would you be able to take a picture of how the booster is sitting against the seatback? If you adjust the vehicle headrest, does it change how the booster seat is sitting?

The frontier is all one piece whereas most dedicated boosters have a back that can separate so that you can use the booster as a backless booster down the road. This may make the seat seem wobbly or tippy, but provided it's in good contact with the vehicle seat, and the belt fit is good, I'd base more on what happens during a normal drive vs. just goofing around.

The only reason I ask for pictures is that you mentioned the booster seems to not be in full contact with the back of the vehicle seat. I have seen this in some vehicles before and it can pose a real problem, but in other cases it's not enough to be concerned about. Pictures aren't perfect, but it may help give an idea as to whether there's something to be worried about or not.

Calgarymom

Would you be able to take a picture of how the booster is sitting against the seatback? ....
If you adjust the vehicle headrest, does it change how the booster seat is sitting? ....

The only reason I ask for pictures is that you mentioned the booster seems to not be in full contact with the back of the vehicle seat.....

I have seen this in some vehicles before and it can pose a real problem, but in other cases it's not enough to be concerned about. ....

Thanks for the reply - I edited your text to remember to reply to all important parts!

I had already adjusted the head rest for the best fit for seat + kid belt positioning. That did help.

In words - the booster highback connects with the seat at lower back and at head, but there is a little gap right around her shoulder blades - I will attach the photos.

Finally, what about the fit "can cause a real problem"? How would it matter?

Thanks so much for your ideas!
Nicole[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thanks for the reply - I edited your text to remember to reply to all important parts!

I had already adjusted the head rest for the best fit for seat + kid belt positioning. That did help.

In words - the booster highback connects with the seat at lower back and at head, but there is a little gap right around her shoulder blades - I will attach the photos.

Finally, what about the fit "can cause a real problem"? How would it matter?

Thanks so much for your ideas!
Nicole

In some vehicles the headrest of the vehicle can push the headrest of the booster forward. Some booster manufacturers don't allow the booster to be installed in a place where the booster can't sit flush against the seat back. Your booster doesn't look too bad from pictures, I've seen some really big gaps and you just have a small one. If you're able to remove your vehicle headrest I'd try that because you might be able to get the booster more flush with the vehicle seat, but it could be ok as is - it's really hard to tell for certain from a picture.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC