Got Piper's seat inspected today, and a question about a carseat I saw

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The tech who inspected Piper's seat was pleased with where the stalk and latchplate were in relation to the seat, so I feel a bit better about it. I'm still a bit concerned that in case of an accident it's going to pop out (it popped out once on me while I was installing her seat and I flew out of my truck, but it's also held RFing while we were rearended). He said that if I could put a lot of pressure on the head of the seat toward the front and it didn't pop then it'd be ok. Doesn't quite make sense to me, there's no way my body can simulate a crash situation, but what do you guys think?

Also, he had never seen a rearfacing tethered seat (Britax Wizard). He said his instructor said there would be new things out there, and so he was tickled to see it. He and the other two firefighters (I don't think one was a tech, just out to learn, that one made a comment about when is time to forward face) were chuckling at my install since when they shook it my car rocked back and forth. LOL

I'm pleased that I'm apparently in the 2% that actually has a seat in correctly. He did suggest that I put the belt UNDER her cover rather than over, it's parental choice but it's a bit better under (makes sense, the cover will compress a little during an accident) so I'll move it at my next chance.

Now here's my question. This carseat was parked next to us today in the parking lot. What is it, how old is it, and is it safe??? The straps were twisted up like braids practically, and I didn't see the strap coming out the bottom to tighten them. The seatbelt installing it seemed to have slack in it too. I did get a picture of the license plate, so if it's something reportable I can call the non emergency line. Sorry about the glare, it was a bright day today and this was taken with my cell phone.

weirdcarseat.jpg

Thanks!

Wendy

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
It's hard to be sure from the photo, but that seat bears some resemblance to a thinly padded basic version of the Century Accel and those were made until 2002 or 2003, around the time Graco bought out Century and renamed the Accel the Graco Comfort Sport. It also looks a lot like a Cosco Touriva with the cover barely covering the front edges of the shell, the paper clip style chest clip and 3 harness slots. The Touriva was discontinued last year and the newest ones had a two piece chest clip, so it's possible one with a paper clip single piece chest clip is expired but not a sure thing. I had a Touriva with the single piece chest clip with a DOM of April 2001. Both the Touriva and Accel had those horribly twisty straps.

At any rate, whatever that seat is, it looks like it's missing a crotch strap and buckle, and that's a big problem. :(

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
It looks most closely to an accel in the pdf files. It dates them from 1999 to 2003. How the heck do straps get that twisted? One or two small twists i can seat happening but how do you do that without trying? Scary! They must think its uncomfortable for the child. At least it's harness is in the right slots i think that seat requires top slots for FF.

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
childrestraintsafety said:
slung over the side of the seat?

That is what it looks like to me, so the buckle is not missing its just in the seat, the sheild locks into that slot. I have no clue how the straps got that twisted though! Evenflo made a seat that looked like that in 1997 or 98. I used one for a 2 year old I babysat for. It was the first car seat I ever read the manual too. LOL It was brand new so it actually had the manual.

Its not safe with the straps like that and depending on when it was made it might be expired.

Rachel

Lea_Ontario

I'm by no means an expert, but it looks like our Cosco Regal Ride seat. I've replaced the cover - but the original was that blue with the hashes on it even.

Ours has a manufacture date of 2004-04-14 on it, and it is a 5-point harness.

RegalRide.jpg

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
That is definitely a Century. Could be a 1000, that I'm not sure of. My son had one 9 years ago. I think it was a 'T' shield. And if it is, that would actually make twisting the straps even harder! The only thing I can think of is it's likely gone through the wash. Either way, it's not safe.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Is this illegal enough to call the police over? I have her license plate number (if I could find out her info I'd send her a note and a link) so they can pick her up when they see her. Or is she not breaking any state laws? We all know she's tempting the laws of physics with this one....

Wendy

Splash

I'm thinking it's not illegal. The kid is in a seat. That's the only law in most areas.
However, that person purposely twisted those straps like that. They are too prefectly corded to be an accident. Especially since that's a t-shield seat, and it's not possible to twist straps in it except when threading them! The parent probably thought it looked cool to braid them, so she did.

Unsafe, you bet your life. Illegal? Probably not.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Splash said:
Unsafe, you bet your life. Illegal? Probably not.

It's not my life that's being bet on. :-( I'll see if I can find something out from the license plate, though I doubt it.

Wendy

Michi

I don't think it's an Accel - I had the 2001 model, and it was a 5 point and had a much nicer chest clip. Actually to me it almost looks like an OHS seat with the shield missing ????

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
Notice in the cover there Are slots for a five point harness. There is no harness coming out of the cover in the hip area as it should though. I have seen many 5 points that people route as 3 points when they are putting the harness back on after a wash. Unless for some strange reason the cover was made with slots for a 5 point harness even though it is only T-shield seat....

U

Unregistered

Yeah, it could even be an OHS Touriva without the shield or an OHS Accel if there ever was an Accel w/OHS. Those straps look like someone curled them with a spiral curl curling iron!

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
If it is a t-shield (i thought it might be but i couldnt tell) its most likely the centruy 2000 STE. It looks like it could be an evenflo scout but the harness slots are too close together. The touriva/regal ride has really spaced slots too so i dont think its one of them.

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
Does NC have a number to call? Here I can call 1800tellchp (chp is california highway patrol) they will use the license plate number to send information to the owner. If they see them they might pull them over but if they can't find them then they get info.

It looks like a centruy seat to me. I am guessing its at least 7 or 8 years old, it looks like onse I used 8 or 9 years ago! Oh and some sheild and 5pt harness seats were made using the same shell so that could be why therey are slots for hip straps, or they just did it wrong when they put it back together. I have seen people do that. I stopped a family at church who had thier 5pt infant seat threaded to be a 3 pt. I couldn't figure out why it looked so wrong. I ended up fixing it, then going out to their car and fixing the base and the older sisters seat. LOL We knew them so I wasn't some stranger. They were thrilled to find out I was a tech, after that lots of people asked me things. Too bad that was the only good thing about church. LOL

Rachel

U

Unregistered

OMG I had this seat its an over the head sheild one with the sheild missing! i had it 6 yeas ago for babysitting i recognize the cover! wow thats really bad!

Clarissa

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Dsunny1 said:
Notice in the cover there Are slots for a five point harness. There is no harness coming out of the cover in the hip area as it should though. I have seen many 5 points that people route as 3 points when they are putting the harness back on after a wash. Unless for some strange reason the cover was made with slots for a 5 point harness even though it is only T-shield seat....

I was thinking I saw slots for leg spots too. Seems like someone wired it up to make it more 'convenient'. I can't imagine those straps being comfrotable! I saw some pretty folded straps on Saturday at my check, but not like that!

lynsgirl

Whatever it is, it has to be an OHS or T-shield (guessing OHS), because it has the spot in the shell for the shield to buckle into. A 5pt would have a crotch strap/buckle. This is the sickness you are getting from forums like this, Wendy:D - seeing horrid things in other people's cars and just.not.being.able.to.resist.looking.......Trying hard to not turn my head as I walk by what I just KNOW is a car seat....not working. AGH - shouldn't have looked. Now I feel sick, etc. :p and LOL. It's not funny, really. But the irrestistible urge to look sometimes is. Dh won't even listen to comments anymore if he's with me ("you really can't save the entire world, honey" kind of thing), so I just be quiet. My kids have started noticing things at stop lights, in parking lots, etc, though....VBG.

Amy :) CPST and Mom to 3 great kids, all in seats and new baby coming in October

melaniev

when they made all those century seats alike - t-shield, OHS, 5pt, they used the same covers regardless of which model you bought. the whole thing down to the straps and shield was identical. when i had my 1st kid 10yrs ago there were a LOT fewer choices of carseat so everyone i knew had maybe 1 of maybe 3 models and we could all compare. none of us knew how to put them in so we all shared our disastrous installs too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC