Going to Disney - What seat(s) to take???

What seats should I bring to Disney???

• Radian

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Turbo or Confidence Booster

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • none

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
I could be wrong, and please correct me if I am, but isn't the Radian 80 FAA certified, or is it too big like the husky. If it is certified chances are that she could fit into that.

She probably could, but I'm not going to purchase one just for her to sit on the plane with. She sits in her Husky 85% of the time at home and doesn't need another seat.

When I purchased her first Husky when she was just over 3yo (outgrew her Advantage and FPSE early), the Husky was the only long term option for her. We purchased a Graco CarGo at the same time to use as our secondary seat.. specifically because I knew we were flying during that year and wanted her harnessed on the plane. Dd outgrew the CarGo just after 4yo and we got her another Husky.

Yes we will be purchasing a new seat for ds before February, but my first priority is getting a seat that will fit my son long term... if dd can use the seat for the trip - bonus.

ADS

harnessed4ever

There's bound to be someone in your area who has a radian 80 and would be willing to lend it to you for your trip. If you read my previous post, you could probably get away w/ a borrowed marathon. As long as she's not WAY too tall for it, a little bit of upward curve in the harness shouldn't be too bad.

Minniemouse

Senior Community Member
There's bound to be someone in your area who has a radian 80 and would be willing to lend it to you for your trip. If you read my previous post, you could probably get away w/ a borrowed marathon. As long as she's not WAY too tall for it, a little bit of upward curve in the harness shouldn't be too bad.

We have a Boulevard and she's already too tall for that, so I'm not thinking that a Marathon will be much different.

Most of my friends have Huskies or Regents... with a few Apexes thrown in. Noone I know has any Radians.

I'm pretty tapped into the local CPS community and out of all the techs I know...I'm the only one that has a higher weight seat over a Marathon/Decathalon/Boulevard that I know of.

If dd was 5yo or younger and this height... I would worry more about her not being harnessed on the plane. During our trip dd will be 6.5yo so I'm not as concerned.

harnessed4ever

how much higher are your DD's shoulders from the top slots of the boulevard. Even better strap her into it and grab a pic of her shoulders and where the harness meets it's slot.You can sometimes bend the rules for airplane use because the physics are different. Even at six a harness on the plane is still important. When Lyra was 6 she rode in a marathon that was a bit small for her on a plane, and it most likely saved her life. We got hit by a huge storm and had to make a rough landing at a local airport due to engine trouble. across from us was a girl about Lyra's age who wasn't harness and she was getting thrown all around.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The physics on board a plane vs. in an automobile do differ to some degree, but not enough for me to agree with continued use of a carseat on board a plane when that carseat has been outgrown by height or weight per the seat manufacturer's instructions. :twocents: Doing so is counter to manufacturer's guidelines, which do not say it's okay to continue to use an otherwise outgrown seat on planes only. An outgrown seat is also likely to be uncomfortable for the child in terms of shoulder room, and also poses the issue of possible spinal compression when the child's shoulders are above the top shoulder harness slot/position.

harnessed4ever

you know you're probably right. I just think that having a 6 yo in a lap belt should be avoided at all costs. Either way, breaking the rules saved Lyra from from getting severe injuries, so I stand by what I said. In a car the rules should be followed to the dot, though

Connor's Mom

you know you're probably right. I just think that having a 6 yo in a lap belt should be avoided at all costs. Either way, breaking the rules saved Lyra from from getting severe injuries, so I stand by what I said. In a car the rules should be followed to the dot, though

I don't think that car seat rules should be bent for any reason. Even a slight risk of something happening because the seat is too small is not worth it. :twocents:

And I don't care how good of a friend I am, I would not loan out a $270 seat for their trip. First of all, most people that shell out that much money on a seat don't have other HWH "extra" seats laying around so what would they use for their child while theirs is loaned out. Second, you never know how someone is going to treat your seats, they might not take as good a care of them as you do. Plus what if they get a hold of a rouge flight attendant that insists they gate check it for some reason and they do it?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I voted Turbo for the simple fact that IF you happen to have seatbelts on the shuttle van you could whip it out and use it in the van... otherwise it's neatly stowed away in luggage.

However, now I'm totally changing my mind. lol
I would take the Radian. It installs easily on the plane and will keep your figgety guy still. We took our Radian to Disneyland with us and we also took a shuttle from the airport to the hotel... however, we made sure to pay the little extra and get a shuttle VAN not a shuttle bus, so there were seatbelts and the Radian installed super easily on ours (15 passenger van).

If you have a shuttle bus taking you there will be no seatbelts. You could still use the Radian on the plane and then fold it up for travel to/from the resort.

Edited to add: I agree... NEVER use a child restraint that does not fit according to manufacturer's instructions!! That is totally wrong to suggest and BAD ADVICE!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC