GMA to talk car seats this morning!

ChristyH

They just brought up that they are going to talk about whether or not you really have to strap your kids in a car seat with the Freakanomics guys.

Can't wait to see what they have to say about this :rolleyes:

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Ugh, I hope the Freakanomics guys clarify what exactly their data said and don't say anything to encourage parents to ditch car seats on national television. Though, I believe GMA did cover the "rear-face until 4" research back in April and that really didn't have an impact on the public, so maybe it won't matter what the Freakanomics guys say in terms of what people will do.

::er!ca::

This makes me sick.

The last thing we need is for people to start throwing the freakonomics bull out to the public when we're trying to educate on car seat safety.

danivdp

Hrm. I hope DH doesn't see this. He'll be PO'ed that I just bought seats for the boys to be harnessed again :mad:

He's all about "just put them in the seatbelt" :rolleyes:

TheNimpsGirl

Loved all the mis-use as well... bundle me's, loose harnesses, low chest clips... overall great waste of air time space.

Wiggles

I'm actually impressed with the discussion--they flat out stated that carseats are a 'little' safer and they talked more about misuse than no-use. I wish, however, that they'd ended the discussion with resources for parents to learn how to properly install a carseat and thus reduce/eliminate misuse.

I'm NOT impressed with the representative use of carseats in the clip.

MomToEliEm

I am guessing since they are promoting their new book, we will see these guys on more TV shows and in articles. I guess that means more posts from parents will show up on messageboards across the web talking about this. Luckily we have a few sites with info already disputing these guys findings, though I would love to see more (maybe on carseatblog.com - I did a seach and didn't see one earlier but maybe I missed it). I am glad to see that GMA did include the response from the Center for Injury Research and Prevention.

Edited to add, I did finally find the carseatblog.com entry. I thought I had seen in before.

Last edited:

thepote

I am guessing since they are promoting their new book, we will see these guys on more TV shows and in articles. I guess that means more posts from parents will show up on messageboards across the web talking about this. Luckily we have a few sites with info already disputing these guys findings, though I would love to see more (maybe on carseatblog.com - I did a seach and didn't see one earlier but maybe I missed it). I am glad to see that GMA did include the response from the Center for Injury Research and Prevention.

Ugh! This is already popping up on my local moms' board with the freaking leader of the group posting that it shows it's ok to put 2yr olds in seat belts (which she did a few years ago, btw, claiming "adults don't understand how uncomfortable it is to have your shoulders pinned back.") :mad:

Does anyone have the links to refute the freakonomics people?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Were the authors asked what they did with their young children? Do they put their money where their mouth is?

Jennifer mom to my 7

THey covered their butts by saying you should use the carseat, but that there could be a better way, like built in boosters (like volvos integrated one) and 5 point harnesses like in race cars instead of 3 point belts.

bilbreysy

CPS Technician
Every year these authors bring up this issue - to sell their book. Just bring up a controversial issue on national TV to a huge audience and incite advocates for child passenger safety if you want your book to sell! We give too much attention to these guys!!!!

bluebonnet

CPS Technician
Ugh! This is already popping up on my local moms' board with the freaking leader of the group posting that it shows it's ok to put 2yr olds in seat belts (which she did a few years ago, btw, claiming "adults don't understand how uncomfortable it is to have your shoulders pinned back.") :mad:

I was pretty unhappy w/ that mom's post myself and my stress level went thru the roof!

Last edited:

thepote

Hi Ms Amy!!! I was pretty unhappy w/ that mom's post myself and my stress level went thru the roof! I'll try to post a proper response later, but I'm slammed right now w/ consulting work. Feel free to post a response and I'll back you up!

-Melanie
CPST in NH

I'm having a hard time being nice about it... and I don't want to deal with her inevitable 5,000-word response :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC