Question getting harness tight enough in infant carseat (PICS)

ProudMomof5

The carseat is a compass I400, I just got it for my 5week old, a little over 9lbs.
Anyway I love this carseat, and he fits in it great, and I will continue to love this seat if you all can tell me this is all right.

Basically the harness has to go through A LOT of carseat... like foam, and the actual cover before even getting to baby. Not only that but its a layer of softer foam, and a small space in between that foam and the actual cover. So, it's a lot. I keep thinking about how you can't use anything between baby and carseat, and I know that this is the seat itself, how it was made, but it just seems like the harness could have a lot of give, especially in a crash, it definitely could be compressed easily. I can compress it with my hand, but the baby doesn't weigh enough to compress it as far as my hand can - if that makes sense.

Anyways I have pictures, because as far as I have read, no one is too familier with this car seat.

This is how it looks under the head rest.. you can kind of see how deep it is, and the two layers of foam.
August2008185.jpg

This is showing me stick a pencil all the way back to the shell, remember, besides the foams there is a small gap between the soft foam and the cover
August2008186.jpg

This is how far the pencil goes in from the cover to the shell
August2008188.jpg

Here I lifted off the seat cover so you can actually see the foam. Maybe I am just not used to nice carseats.... the scenera and the snugride have NO foam. BUT then again, the radians have some but its not this much of a huge gap that can easily be compressed. ((the distance seems shorter with out the cover on because of the gap between the foam and the cover))
August2008187.jpg

Please tell me what you think! I want to post a review on this carseat, but i need to get this part figured out first.
Like I said, I like this carseat, other than being a tad worried about this.
Thank you!!!

ADS

ProudMomof5

oh, in the first picture you can see the shadow on the foam, it kind of gives you an idea of how much space is between it and the cover.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If that's the way it came out of the box then that's the way I'd use it. I wouldn't think twice about it.

Wendy

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
If that's the way it came out of the box then that's the way I'd use it. I wouldn't think twice about it.

Wendy

:yeahthat:

And the white foam isn't going to compress in a collision - That's EPP foam. (I think that's what Compass uses anyways.)

I also think it's deceiving overall because the harness is on a sliding mechanism, so the distance that the pencil is going in is actually behind the shell. Really there's only about 3/4" of comfort foam (at most) in all of that and nothing more. :thumbsup:

Remember that anything that comes with the seat has been crash tested with the seat - and they used a heavier dummy with the seat which would have compressed the foam some. Really though, there's not going to be much compression in terms of the seat cover because baby is going to slide up during the rotation of the seat. It's different from a snowsuit because that snowsuit can prevent the harness from physically being tight enough and when it compresses the child will have more room to "ramp" up the seat back. The comfort foam won't have the same result. :thumbsup:

So as long as you're able to tighten the harness so that you can't pinch a fold at the collar bone, you're perfectly fine. :D

ProudMomof5

:yeahthat:

And the white foam isn't going to compress in a collision - That's EPP foam. (I think that's what Compass uses anyways.)
I meant the carseat cover compressing into the comfort foam and the comfort foam itself compressing. :)

I also think it's deceiving overall because the harness is on a sliding mechanism, so the distance that the pencil is going in is actually behind the shell. Really there's only about 3/4" of comfort foam (at most) in all of that and nothing more. :thumbsup:

Oh, I see... you are right. :) I just checked it out, the actual shell is about 3/4 of an inch higher than the sliding mechanism.. that makes me feel a lot better.

Remember that anything that comes with the seat has been crash tested with the seat - and they used a heavier dummy with the seat which would have compressed the foam some.

that is what I thought, but I was feeling unsure because I haven't heard a whole lot about the seat at all and its just so different than the snugride... where there is no foam at all. :)

Really though, there's not going to be much compression in terms of the seat cover because baby is going to slide up during the rotation of the seat. It's different from a snowsuit because that snowsuit can prevent the harness from physically being tight enough and when it compresses the child will have more room to "ramp" up the seat back. The comfort foam won't have the same result. :thumbsup:
that makes sense.... but how about the bundle me's, I know they are not tested with the carseat, but yet they don't have padding anywhere on the baby, just behind the baby. I know that can compress too, but if I were to buckle him into this seat with out the cover I'd have A LOT Of extra harness there. Even with leaving the comfort foam. I guess it's probably more that the cover doesn't touch the comfort foam that is bothering me, it seems so far out there. I actually like the comfort foam... I was just thinking that all that combined, the comfort foam, the cover being so high above the comfort foam and thinking that the sliding mechanism was actually the shell was alot put together.
Thanks!

TerisBoys

that makes sense.... but how about the bundle me's, I know they are not tested with the carseat, but yet they don't have padding anywhere on the baby, just behind the baby. I know that can compress too, but if I were to buckle him into this seat with out the cover I'd have A LOT Of extra harness there. Even with leaving the comfort foam. I guess it's probably more that the cover doesn't touch the comfort foam that is bothering me, it seems so far out there. I actually like the comfort foam... I was just thinking that all that combined, the comfort foam, the cover being so high above the comfort foam and thinking that the sliding mechanism was actually the shell was alot put together.
Thanks!

Bundle Mes and other things can cause the harness to not be lined up correctly though and introduce a 'false fit'. For example, the BundleMe may pull the harness down lower than the slots, and the weight of the baby will hold it there. The straps seem tight, but when (heaven forbid) you wreck, the baby will ramp up the carseat IN the BundleMe and there's slack in the harness you didn't know was there.

The cover will stretch one the baby is in the seat. It should stretch down to meet it if you press on it.

ProudMomof5

Bundle Mes and other things can cause the harness to not be lined up correctly though and introduce a 'false fit'. For example, the BundleMe may pull the harness down lower than the slots, and the weight of the baby will hold it there. The straps seem tight, but when (heaven forbid) you wreck, the baby will ramp up the carseat IN the BundleMe and there's slack in the harness you didn't know was there.

The cover will stretch one the baby is in the seat. It should stretch down to meet it if you press on it.

oh I never thought of that.
The head support that came with the seat isn't lined up with the slots either, so could it have the same effect?
I try and line it up, but then it doesn't fit around the baby's head. So, the slots in the head support may be pulling up on the harness some. I'll have to double check for that. I am pretty sure I am getting it tight enough regardless, there is no slack in the harness at all when it's on him.
Hopefully that is all right.

ShumNum

Senior Community Member
I found that the head support that comes with the Compass does tend to make it more difficult to put baby in the seat correctly. I preferred to remove the head support and use receiving blankets rolled on either side of the baby to support his head.

It's a great seat and don't worry about the space created by the comfort foam, EPS foam, etc. Just follow the pinch test for the harness and you'll be fine!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC