Getting all the specs straight

U

Unregistered

OK, I'm just trying to get all the wild strands of info out there straight for my own use. Can some generous soul please tell me if I've got this correct:

Car: Honda Odyssey

DS1: 3 yrs, 34 lbs, FF, Eddie Bauer Summit Booster, using 5-point harness, attached with LATCH system (installation inspected by certified car tech at local police carseat station). Shoulders still below highest strap-level for 5-point harness.

DS2: 17 months, 26 lbs, RF, Marathon, attached with LATCH, also inspected. Shoulders still below highest strap level.

Things I think I know to do:

At 33 lbs, DS2 must be turned FF
At 40 lbs for either, we can no longer use LATCH. Top tethers cannot be used either, we've reached Honda's max.
At 40 lbs or height limit, DS1 must begin using seat as booster with vehicle seatbelt (This is seat's limit. Goes to 100 lbs as a booster.)
At 65 lbs or height limit, DS2 needs a new seat.

Many thanks for helping me make the safest decisions...

ADS

mominabigtruck

Honestly, what I would do is when your ds2 hits the rfing limit on the marathon (33lbs) I would put him in the summit booster with the harness and put your ds1 back into the marathon. That way they're both harnessed and you won't have a latch issue.

mommy2jana

I agree with the PP, when DS2 turns FF, put him in the Summit and DS1 back into the MA, if your DS1 will last in the Summit until DS2 has met the weight limits for RF. That would be the best way to not have to buy another seat. And would keep DS1 harnessed longer.

I didn't know there was a weight limit on the top tethers....I think you can continue to use the top tethers after 40 lbs....but if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

My 3 yr old DD was just about to outgrow her Summit harness height-wise, but then I had a car accident last week and I'm replacing her seat with a MA.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I agree with the previous poster, but I would also say that you may want to continue to use the top tethers. Yes, they're not rated above 40 pounds, but their job is not crucial to the installation of your car. They are there to reduce head excursion. Required, no, not if you're not using LATCH, but highly recommended. It is very likely they will fail, but if they do it'll be after most of their job is done, and it doesn't affect the installation of the seat at all, not like the lower anchors failing. It's a parental choice. Most of us will continue to use the top tether after the weight limit.

Wendy

lovinwaves

DS2: 17 months, 26 lbs, RF, Marathon, attached with LATCH, also inspected. Shoulders still below highest strap level.

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but if your son is rear-facing then you want his straps to be AT or BELOW his shoulders. :)

scatterbunny

OK, I'm just trying to get all the wild strands of info out there straight for my own use. Can some generous soul please tell me if I've got this correct:

Car: Honda Odyssey

DS1: 3 yrs, 34 lbs, FF, Eddie Bauer Summit Booster, using 5-point harness, attached with LATCH system (installation inspected by certified car tech at local police carseat station). Shoulders still below highest strap-level for 5-point harness.

Things I think I know to do:

At 33 lbs, DS2 must be turned FF
At 40 lbs for either, we can no longer use LATCH. Top tethers cannot be used either, we've reached Honda's max.
At 40 lbs or height limit, DS1 must begin using seat as booster with vehicle seatbelt (This is seat's limit. Goes to 100 lbs as a booster.)
At 65 lbs or height limit, DS2 needs a new seat.

Many thanks for helping me make the safest decisions...

Yes, at 33 pounds DS2 must go FF.

Yes, 40 pounds in the weight limit for the lower anchors in your Honda. But you should keep using the top tethers for any forward-facing seat. See these links for an explanation of why:

http://www.saferidenews.com/html/LATCH_P8.htm
http://www.saferidenews.com/html/LATCH_P49.htm

At 40 pounds or when DS1's shoulders are over the top useable slots of the Summit (second-to-top headrest position) or when the tips of his ears are over the top of the seat shell he has outgrown the harness and must use the seat as a booster. I make this distinction because the stated height limit is not what matters; when it comes to height what matters is that the shoulders are level with or below the top slots and that the tips of the ears are below the top of the seat shell.

At 65 pounds or when DS2's shoulders are over the top useable slots of the Marathon or when the tips of his ears are over the top of the seat shell he has outgrown the Marathon and needs a new seat.

But I agree with everyone who said that when DS1 gets too big for the Summit in harnessed mode I would switch the boys. Reason being, both boys would be harnessed, which is safest. 4 years old and 40 pounds is the bare minimum for using a booster, so if you can get away with using the Marathon FF for DS1 for awhile, that would be ideal.

K

Kymbers

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but if your son is rear-facing then you want his straps to be AT or BELOW his shoulders. :)

You are correct and they are, indeed, below his shoulders. I checked when we went to the grocery store -- the car tech moved them up a slot, but that's because he's growing like a maniac.

K

Kymbers

Thank you all! I guess it just goes to show how locked you get in your ideas... I never thought to just switch them if the weights/heights work out OK. Given the rate that DS2 is growing, he is much more likely to hit 33 lbs before his older brother reaches 40 or the height limits on the Summit.

The Honda specs do say that the top tethers max-out at 40 lbs, but it seems that leaving them tethered doesn't detract from the safety of the seat, so we'll leave them tethered.

Many thanks again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC