Flex loc installation

Jordynsmama

Help!

I tried installing my flex loc with the base and wiithout.
With the base it moves side to side a lot. The belt path is so far to the front how could it not? I recall my SR base having the path more in the middle. It seems inevitable it would move with the location of the path kwim??
Is it okay if it moves side to side??

Then with the seatbelt it is tighter but still moves side to side and I can pull up on it. Of course not all the way but some. Is that normal??

How tight should it be in there and am I missing something??? Oh yeah the manual came in spanish:whistle:

I like the seat and I like how narrow it is but it scares me.

TIA!

ADS

Kat_Momof3

it shouldn't move more than 1" at the beltpath... now, the further away from the beltpath you get, the more movement you will get.

if you are only checking the beltpath, that does not sound acceptable.

what vehicle?

crunchierthanthou

One more thing-
where do you put the latch connectors when not using them??

The manual shows that they store on the sides of the base toward the front near where they are threaded (pages 24 and 48 of the paper version or pages 7 and 12 of the pdf I linked to). It looks like there are little cubbies or something or if it's an opening maybe there are hooks on the bottom. :shrug-shoulders:

Jordynsmama

Well I got a good install with the seatbelt in both cars. But I just dont know if Jordyns PW can fit with both seats. I mean they will most likely fit to some extent but how she will buckle in IDK. Its going to be tight and difficult.
Especially b/c she will be buckling in where the other seat is.
I think with bases it will be easier though due to not having to re-install so I will have to figure it out.
Anyway thank you!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Can you install the seat closest to Jordyn's buckle with LATCH? That probably won't give her more room--it might result in less--but at least you wouldn't run the risk of unbuckling the other seat while you/she is digging around for the buckle.

Kat_Momof3

okay, then it sounds like the movement is normal (if it wasn't, knowing what cars would help figure out if it was a compatibility issue)

for fitting the booster... try and see if she can buckle herself... if not, you may need to buckle her yourself... but she's probably got a better chance of doing it herself if she usually buckles herself, since her hands are smaller.

you could also try putting her booster in the middle (assuming you have a shoulderbelt in that spot) and the infant seat on the side opposite of where she needs to buckle.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, and to clarify, when I suggested installing one of the seats with LATCH, I assumed the booster was in the middle. If not, then ignore my suggestion--you can't use LATCH in the center of the Toyota (unless it has dedicated anchors, which I don't think it does).

crunchierthanthou

you could also try putting her booster in the middle (assuming you have a shoulderbelt in that spot) and the infant seat on the side opposite of where she needs to buckle.

the OP is expecting twins. there would be an infant seat on each side.

Oh, and to clarify, when I suggested installing one of the seats with LATCH, I assumed the booster was in the middle. If not, then ignore my suggestion--you can't use LATCH in the center of the Toyota (unless it has dedicated anchors, which I don't think it does).

but even if outboard she should be able to arrange them so that the buckle for the booster is on its own. She'll probably have to be on the passenger side because most center seatbelts buckle next to the driver's side. Then it's just a matter of reaching and removes the possiblility of accidentally unbuckling the wrong seatbelt.

Kat_Momof3

okay, then it sounds like the movement is normal (if it wasn't, knowing what cars would help figure out if it was a compatibility issue)

for fitting the booster... try and see if she can buckle herself... if not, you may need to buckle her yourself... but she's probably got a better chance of doing it herself if she usually buckles herself, since her hands are smaller.

Jordynsmama

Well my car doesnt have latch unfortunately so thats out-

In my car the seatbelts all buckle toward the middle. and the drivers side buckle is next to the middle buckle. So....probably a baby on the passenger side and one in the middle? I will just leave a base always installed in the middle of my car and in the middle of my mom's. Then use the seatbelts for the outer seats. Or I will buy one more base or 2 maybe-we'll see. I like the recline better without the base though, and its in very tight in both cars also.

The only thing is in my moms rav-4 the middle seatbelt comes out of the cieling-I know for installing without the base you cant do that-but with it is it okay?? I have to check the manual on that b/c then if I cant install a seat in the middle period and JOrdyn has to be in the middle in her car we are screwed b/c I just dont think the pw will fit. She will have to do a backless which Idk if that will even fit. Her middle seat is smaller than in my altima-weird but it is. I am gonna install both seats and her PW in a minute and try it out and then have her buckle in.

I usually buckle her in anyway to lock it and make sure it isnt twisted.

I will let u guys know. Thanx

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Are you sure you can't use the ceiling-belt for installing without the base? I haven't read the manual for that seat, and I'm not really familiar with the RAV4, but there's usually not that kind of restriction. (I'm not saying you're wrong--just be sure to double-check.)

crunchierthanthou

You can use ceiling mounted seatbelts for an infant seat. They just tend to make rf seats even more tippy. The first thing to try to avoid that is to get the lap portion as tight as necessary for an acceptable install and then lock the shoulder retractor as the very last step. Let the seatbelt retract naturally and don't force any additional webbing into the retractor. If that doesn't solve the tipping, you'll probably need to use a locking clip and leave the retractor unlocked.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC