Question Fitting 3 car seats in Hyundai Santa Fe - Canada

U

Unregistered

We own two Hyundai Santa Fe SUVs. One is 2005 and one is 2007. We don't have the option of buying a bigger vehicle as we are expecting baby #3. What brand/make of car seats can I fit side-by-side in either Santa Fe? We have a 4.5 year old (not quite 40 lbs yet) in a combination seat with 5-pt harness (Evenflo Maestro). We have a 1.5 year old in a combination seat (forward facing - Eddie Bauer in one vehicle and Safety 1st in the other). We still have to buy another infant car seat as our other one expires a couple of months after baby comes. It's obviously more affordable to buy new car seats instead of a new vehicle if it's possible to fit three side by side. Please help! Thank you!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Re: Fitting 3 car seats in Hyundai Santa Fe

Welcome. Congrats on #3! When is the baby due?

Are you aware that your one year old would be up to 534% safer rear facing, and does not yet meet the AAP's bare minimum of two years to forward face? Most of us here would recommend rear facing well beyond that as well. http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/

What is your budget for new seats? Do you definitely want an infant seat, or would a convertible from birth also be an option?

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Re: Fitting 3 car seats in Hyundai Santa Fe

Baby 3 is due at the end of January 2013. We actually had my 1.5 year old rear facing, but couldn't get it tight enough. I waited for the region's car seat clinic list to come out to get it checked and secured properly, but they kept canceling the clinics (I live in Ontario, Canada) and insisted I wait for the next one (not done by individual appts). Hoping to get a friend's friend to help me out.

I'd prefer to have an infant car seat carrier for the new baby for the ease of snapping it into a car base and allowing baby to sleep. I'm not concerned with the price. If I have to get 3 new seats, I will. Anything is more affordable that getting a new vehicle :)

Thx so far!

Nimommyof2

I think for three across it'll probably be easier if you get a radian/diono seat and than depending you might use it for the older child ff or the younger RF. How big is your 1.5yr old? How much room does the older child have in the maestro?

U

Unregistered

I live near Oshawa. I was thinking of Getting two Diono Radians and a Graco Snugride (behind my seat) based on external seat width measurements that I found online. But I want to be sure it will fit before I spend the money. Diono's aren't cheap lol.
My 4.5 year old has lots of room in the Maestro. It's a big seat and he's just over 35 lbs. I plan in keeping him in a five-pt harness way past the 40lb minimum requirement. My 1.5 year old is lean but tall (not sure exact inches. 33?). She seats in the Eddie Bauer or Alpha Omega depending on what car she's in.

canadiangie

Hi,

My mom has a 08 Sante Fe. :)

I put three seats in her vehicle quite often. You will be fine if you get a Diono Radian for the middle. And if you really want to keep things simple, you could get another Radian for the outboard seating position, or stick with your Maestro. For the new baby, a Chicco KeyFit or Graco Snugride 30 (not 32 or 35) would wrk great.

I typically do a rear facing Britax Boulevard or Graco MyRide 65 behind the driver for my 2 year old; a forward facing Radian for my 5 year old middle; and a Graco TurboBooster for my 6 year old behind passenger.

Congrats on your expanding family, by the way.

Can we walk you through getting your toddler's seat installed rear facing? Or possibly help you find a technician close to you who can help in person? Please let us know. As Wendy said he's far more protected if he's positioned rear facing.

tiggercat

HONEYhas3 said:
I and welcome.

Where in Ontario are you located?

If you can give us an idea of where you are located, there are a bunch of us in Ontario who may be able to help get your little one safer.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC