FFing in a Marathon Safe?

arly1983

Or perhaps tether to a third row seatbelt that's not in use by another passenger? That'd be optimal.

What a great idea! I didn't eve think of that . You might could even work out a way to get both the FFing kids tethered and the RFing kiddo in the 3rd row.

ADS

rodentranger

If you're concerned, having you thought about swapping the MA for the TF? I love the MA rf with tether.

Will I use it when she is near the upper limits of the seat...probably not. But for now I am still using it. It is top tethered though and I am not sure I would be comfortable with it NOT being tethered.

I'm not totally uncomfortable w/him forward facing in it at this size and weight and top tethered, but since we had another seat that I could use, I went ahead and switched it. Having seen and read the info from TC, I would NOT be comfortable using it for a child much over 45 lbs, esp in those vehicles or without a top tether.

Where I stand, personally: if they were the seats I owned, I'd continue using them (TETHERED). If I had FFing kids and RFing kids, I'd try to put the RFing kids in the Britaxes and the FFing kids in the other seats. If my child was close to the limits, I might accelerate seat replacement plans. I wouldn't go out and buy a Britax for a FFing kid (but I wouldn't have before the tests either). But again, if I owned them and they fit otherwise, I'd tether them and use them.

Yeah that to all of that.
ODS is 35 lbs at 34 mos, I will not use the MA's ff for him anymore. He will ride only in my FN or TF, center install if possible. If that isn't possible, the passenger seats must be unoccupied and slid all the way forward. Can't comply with my "requirements" for my child? Then you can't take him in your vehicle.
I am now using my 33 lb MAs for YDS, who is 23 lbs at 10 mos. When he can no longer rf in them, I will likely sell them, move him to the TF for another two lbs, then buy a GN and/or XTSL. I'm hoping to rf him to at least 3 yrs. ODS only made it to 27 mos and won't go back.
I've lost my faith in Britax and won't buy another one. I'm really disappointed because I love how easily their convertibles install. I have yet to not be able to install my MAs in any of the cars I've tried. I love being able to tether rf, and my kids seem to find them comfier than the RNs. (And I love my Speedway cover!) My kids are big. ODS is already fairly cramped in the GN, which is why we went with the FN. No way he'll make it to 65 lbs in the GN.

amyd

In theory and in professional practice, I would have no problems saying that a properly used britax marathon is a safe seat.
Personally, for my own kid? No way.

This is exactly how I feel. I will NOT be using my MA FFing. In fact, I'm planning to sell it since DS is almost at the ridiculously low RFing limit (30lbs here in Canada:thumbsdown:). I would especially not use it untethered (although that statement is coloured by my Canadian-ness, which makes me, personally, feel that any untethered seat is not as safe as it could be).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC