Question FF Strap Position on SK Radian XTSL

michellerw

Hi, I have a Radian XTSL (the SK one) purchased in June 2010. DD will be four in February and we turned her FF about five months ago.

The straps in the FF position are in the highest up slots and I'm noticing that they are almost even with her shoulders -- we probably have about an inch to go. She is growing like a weed right now (she ate more than me tonight) and I'm concerned about how much time we reasonably have on this seat if she continues to grow at this rate.

She only weighs about 42 lbs and her height comes primarily from her legs, so I'm a little confused about why the straps have so little space between her shoulders and the slots if the Radian supports a height up to 52 in.

Is it possible for her to use this particular seat with the straps below her shoulders? Does that present a safety concern? Thanks.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi! The height limit is not really an accurate measure of when the seat is outgrown in many cases. 1 inch of growth room is probably six months to a year, even growing fast, especially for a leggy child. While the Radians allow use with the shoulders over the top slot until ears are at the top of the seat, this is not really practical on the models with headwings, because the children tend to be pretty uncomfortable pretty quickly as that happens (I've seen them contort their bodies into unnatural positions trying to escape the pressure.) Since she's not quite 4, and will probably outgrow the seat around 5 or before, I'd recommend planning for a seat with taller slots to get her to an appropriate booster age and maturity (generally 5 1/2 to 6, able to sit still 100% of the time even when sleeping, upset, or dropped something. Some kids would be ready around 4 1/2 or 5, but since that's not a guarantee and there's not really a way to know in advance, I'd be looking around at what may be needed.)

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Is it possible you've got one more harness slot to go, and that the headwings have slipped down and are covering them? Can you post a picture?

42lbs and leggy makes me think that's possible, unless she's also tall overall.

michellerw

The odd part is that she has been historically in the 50th percentile for height. She is rocking 4T pants and leggings (5T in some cases) but 2 and 3T shirts. She is definitely her mother's daughter.

I need to pull the seat out of my car again today, so I'll take a look and take photos. Also, I noticed that the upper tethers -- more specifically the plastic -- in my 2002 Passat are looking worn and starting to crack. Are those metal reinforced or do I need to ask my VW mechanic to replace them?

michellerw

I pulled the seat out and readjusted the headwings and -- sure enough -- there was another set of harness slots.

The headwings on that seat are impossible to adjust (for good reason) so I found it was easiest to tip the seat to do it.

Every time I pull the radian out, I'm more impressed with its construction and features. Our other seat is a MyRide 65 (which she will outgrow very soon) and it's great for the price point, but I do love the Radian.

Thanks everyone!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC