EZ-on and 86Y.... tell me about them

Mommypooh

I have a friend with 6 children one is in a car seat RF and the rest are in boosters, but the two middle seats only have lap belts and they have been using them with boosters. The baby has to be outboard due to dad's leg and he can't climb in to get him in. So how do these work? How do you know which one to use? Do you use them with a booster? Could a child buckle themselves in with one of these? This is a temporary fix until they can afford a new van, they are working on it but it is hard.

Thanks.

ADS

Jenifer

Hi,

Go to www.ezonpro.com They have wonderful customer service, and I believe they have a distributor in New Albany, OH. Booster seats cannot be used with a lap belt only - - ever. This would be a viable solution and cost effective. I haven't priced them lately, but the harness system is affordable.

I have used the 86 Y with a booster in our program a couple of times. The booster is necessary with smaller children to keep the lap belt lower. The system requires adding top tether hardware (they include the hardware and instructions). It is all tested.

I was at a conference where an EZ On rep was presenting and was impressed with the customer care. They are most familiar with their product and the manufacturer should be contacted in any case.

tiggercat

What are the ages and weights of all of the kids?

I would think that an EZon would be difficult for a booster aged child to buckle independently, but perhaps there is an older sibling that could help?

Or, is there one or two children that are small enough to go back into a 5 pt harness?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
www.ezonpro.com > definitely contact customer service (you'll probably need the vehicle year/make/model info)

My daughter had the Kid-Y + RideRyde booster for a lap belt in my father's '99 F150 plow truck. She was about 4 & she was capable of buckling herself: because the "female" receptor part of the buckle was immovable without a flexible fabric stalk. We simply never unbuckled the chest clip so she just lifted it over her head. The adult merely checked the lap belt tightness.

EZOn customer service was extremely helpful for me. We also had the 86Y for my older niece & I even rode in it a couple times (mostly as encouragement to my niece in the Husky). I do believe that the 86Y can be used with any booster, but always consult the manufacturer.

The only tip I have is not to forget that when kiddo is buckle in for the 1st time, the lap belt should be tightened *before* the harness :twocents:

Mommypooh

They will not buy another car seat. We have been down that road I finally have them to the realization that the lap belts are dangerous. The kids are 4 years turning 5 next month she is like 43 lbs, there is one that is 5 turning 6 next month like 47 lbs, just turned 6 46 lbs, 7 year old 48 lbs and then an 8 year old turning 9 in December that is like50 lbs. Then the baby that is RF. They want to use the boosters they were given by the car seat check. My friend thought of buying them 2 harnesses or seeing if we could encourage them to buy them.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
As long as the boosters or the vehicle seatbacks extend up to at least eye level, it should be OK -- www.ezonpro.com customer service should hopefully be able to discuss use of the 86Y with certain boosters.... Don't forget that they'll likely have to install top tether anchors (unless there are enough unused seatbelts behind the kids to use as tether anchors: check with the manufacturer, of course)

Good luck :thumbsup:

Mommypooh

I don't know I am not happy about that. They went to the fire station which has techs at it and they were given 5 boosters 3 high back and 2 no back. No one told them anything about the lap belts in the center. They were also told when the kids were 8 to take them out of the boosters.

There are 4 lap shoulder belts in the back and 2 lap only belts. One Lap shoulder is taken up by a RF Car seat.

Mommypooh

Yeah I am not very happy with that. But this is also the same station that put locking clips on my RF BV instead of figuring out my seat belt issues. I ended up down town where that tech got my RF lockoffs to work and then I took a lesson from all of you to flip my latch plate since I have locking latch plates and they were slipping.

Not the best place. They also don't know anything about the regent and just tugged it and said it was fine didn't bother to check my install on it. So I have very little care for that place.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC