Evenflo and hot car deaths

julia94115

Is this old news? (I just saw it.)

http://www.inquisitr.com/2281007/evenflo-car-seat-can-stop-hot-car-seat-deaths-says-company-how-do-they-work/

Evenflo Car Seat Can Stop Hot Car Deaths Says Company — How Do They Work?

Evenflo and Walmart announced earlier this week a product meant to prevent car seat deaths. According to CNN, when the ignition is turned off, the car seat will quickly remind drivers that an infant is in the backseat.

How does the Evenflo Embrace DLX Infant Car Seat work? The product will feature a sensor that monitors the car. The company embedded its battery-operated wireless device in the seat’s chest strap clip. If the vehicle is on, it will assume that the parent is in the car. When the sensor determines that the ignition is off, a series of tones will be heard.

Evenflo’s Embrace DLX Infant Car Seat will cost about $149, making it a very affordable bit of life-saving technology.

“It’s the first and only crash-tested car seat that has this type of technology embedded,” said Sarah McKinney, Walmart’s director of corporate communications.

“Right now, [there’s not one] actual car seat that has this technology [available on the market].”

Industry experts claim an average of 40 child deaths per year occur when parents leave children in hot cars. Last year, 31 child deaths were blamed on hot cars. This year, 10 children have already died.

Diana Marshall, vice president for baby at Walmart, noted that there are “millions of cars” in the company’s parking lots every day. Marshall issued “a challenge out to the industry,” demanding that their competitors do more to protect their youngest customers.

“Evenflo stepped up with a first-of-its-kind product aimed at vehicular heat stroke.”

These car seats are meant to remind parents of the children in their cars. However, they do not account for parents who knowingly leave their children behind while assuming they will be just fine. The devices trust that the parents understand the danger of a hot car, but many adults are ignorant. The temperatures inside a parked car can reach as high as 125 degrees inside five minutes.

Hopefully, Evenflo will come up with something to cool young children who were left when a parent opts to ignore the car seat alarm.
In An Instant (Child Safety Film - Dangers of Corded Blinds)
1Decision Bracelet - The Child Safety Bracelet
Saved (Child Safety - Vehicular Heatstroke) Featuring the resqme® Tool
One Decision Behind The Scenes Part 1: What Inspired The Director
Baby left in Hot Car (Social Experiment)

The Embrace DLX Infant Car Seat is currently available for purchase online. The product is expected to arrive in stores next month.

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
First I heard of it.
I like the simplicity. It doesn't try to figure out whether you have actually forgotten your kid, it is more like the chime that tells you that your keys are still in the ignition.

AllieK

I can just imagine baby falling asleep for a long overdue nap and that thing going off!
Posted via Mobile Device

griffinej5

I thoughtful worked somehow with your phone. I didn't realize it was the clip that made noise. I can see this getting annoying real fast, but I think I shut my car off more than other people. I turn my car off in any situation where it's safe and I'm going to be stopped for more than 30 seconds. I'd be false alarmed more often than real alarmed.

jennzee

I think hearing that noise every.single.time. you turn off your engine with a baby in that car seat would get old quick http://www.evenflo.com/SensorSafe/ I imagine some parents might take the plug out of the car or leave the chest clip unbuckled after a while.

Some might, although I imagine anybody who buys it does so largely because of the feature, and therefore wants to hear it every time they get out of the car. It would be nice if there were different tone options you could set so that one doesn't get overly annoying after time.

Dillipop

Dh asked me about this seat today and didn't think it would be worthwhile.

While thinking about it a bit, I think for a primary caregiver that has the child all the time, it could become annoying very quickly. But for a caregiver that rarely transports the baby- like my husband who has the baby rear facing in the third row and rarely has him, so when he does, it would totally be out of his routine- I think it is wonderful!

While forgetting a child in the car can happen to anyone, it seems the majority of them seem to be a parent that normally doesn't have the child in the car with them. This could work wonders for preventing those deaths, as it would rarely be used and not be annoying or easily over looked because hearing it is so common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Then there is the issue that I have never had an Evenflo rfo seat come in properly installed because of the required clearance. Ever.

julia94115

Honestly, I think it's a start.

They will get it out there and then see what works, and what doesn't and then either they or other carseat manufacturers can improve on that.

Will be interesting to hear user reviews when it comes out.

lourdes

As the mother of a baby who was left in a hot car by her husband for less than 5 minutes I think this seat is great, I do think depending on the notice it can get enoing but I think it's worth to try and I think now they need to do it for a convertible

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I think it's an interesting concept, but I would worry about all the times that you are in the in the car and don't have the ignition on. I think it is fine as long as the device is easy to unplug during those times, and as long as the beeping isn't too annoying. If it's the same kind of tone as the "your lights are still on" tone, I think it is fine. I would prefer that it somehow alert you when you open your door, though, rather than just turn off the ignition.

I also think that it is really annoying when these companies come out with ONE seat that has a feature like this. I would hate for parents to become dependent on something like this, and then when their kid moves up to a convertible, they don't have that safety net anymore. Especially since I think it is much easier to accidentally forget a kid in a RF convertible than a kid in an infant seat -- the presence of the seat itself is a reminder when you have an infant seat, whereas a convertible is in the car all the time and only sometimes has a kid in it.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I expect that if it's popular they'll put it on other seats.

As a side note my infant seat stays in the car 90% of the time. It only comes out if I'm running a really quick (under 5 minutes) errand and it would take too long to deal with buckling or if baby is really really sound asleep and I'm hoping (usually futility) she'll stay that way for a few minutes.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC