Email from RECARO head rest support needed!!

glockchick

Has anyone contacted Britax? I was about to put the back on my 10 yr old's seat since the tips of his ears are right at the top of the vehicle headrest to give him some more growing room. Off to scour my manual.

ETA: The manual says
If needed, adjust or remove the vehicle's head restraint to allow the backrest to lie flat against the vehicle's seat back.

ADS

Syllieann

My kids are pre-booster so I'm confused on some of this but I've been trying to follow the monterey issue too. Why do so many boosters say that they need to be flat against the vehicle seat back? Most people wouldn't have an issue if it weren't for that. How does stuffing a towel in that spot make a difference?

Baylor

This is my second response from her after I replied about the Manual wording.

Hi XXXXX,

This is clarification I received from the engineer:

"You can remove the headrest as long as the child's head is equal to the vehicle seat back. If the child's head is above then discontinue use. "

Tracy, if a gap is formed with the vehicle headrest installed, then the use of a folded towel to fill the gap is an option.

Again, only you can make a final decision.

Thank you.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards,

Carol Ruscoe
Customer Service Associate
Main Number: 248-904-1570
Toll Free Number : 1-888-9RECARO (1-888-973-2276)
Fax: 248-239-1875

WHAT THE HECK!!! Why is it not in the manual then? THAT IS NOT WHAT THE MANUAL SAYS!

vtbecca

That's really interesting. Especially since my Vivo is much sturdier feeling than the turbo is. I would actually feel safer using the vivo without a headrest behind it than the turbo. In my van I have the headrest turned around so there is support but it doesn't push the seat out. I don't think that would work for the back row though. What a pain!

Becca

Baylor

That's really interesting. Especially since my Vivo is much sturdier feeling than the turbo is. I would actually feel safer using the vivo without a headrest behind it than the turbo. In my van I have the headrest turned around so there is support but it doesn't push the seat out. I don't think that would work for the back row though. What a pain!

Becca

I agree. I would think my PB is much sturdier than the TB.

Im just mad. Not about the cash but about the safety. My sons head is above the headrest. I have used it many times without the headrest. Many times.
Someone else is going to have to email Britax.. I don't think I can take another one of these answers today.

AND!!! how to I report this to NHTSA? They have to know right? Do I copy emails as proof? Is that breaking some law?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
This is ridiculous! I'm beginning to think we need a LATCH Manual for boosters!

ETA: And IMO, if this sticks it's even WORSE than the Monterey, since there's not even ambiguous wording to fall back on. What do the stickers say?

Pixels

There is no point in notifying NHTSA. There are no laws broken.

All forward facing seats have to meet a whiplash protection standard, BUT only when the seat is supported by the vehicle seat back. Dummies that have their heads over the top of the seat back are excluded from the testing. So whether or not a forward facing seat (harness or high back booster) is allowed to have no vehicle head support is entirely up to the manufacturer's discretion, and what standard they may use is entirely up to them. It's a lot like side impact testing, there are no standards in that situation so the manufacturer can make whatever decision they want.

It may very well be that a child is safer in an unsupported Monterey than an unsupported Turbobooster, but we don't know and have no way of knowing or finding out. All we know is that Diono is not okay with their booster being unsupported, but Graco is okay with it.

Brianna

Shouldn't NHTSA still be notified that the manuals aren't correct?

Does anybody have pictures of the stickers on Recaro boosters? I don't have any boosters and I'm curious if they match the manual.

Baylor

There is some liability here. They manual clearly states you can remove headrest and not just before the child out grows the seat by height.

I am using it according to the manual however but not according to the engineer..

Baylor

Shouldn't NHTSA still be notified that the manuals aren't correct?

Does anybody have pictures of the stickers on Recaro boosters? I don't have any boosters and I'm curious if they match the manual.

Ill go do that now.

Pixels

The manuals left out the part about not having the head above the vehicle seat, which I agree was a pretty big oversight. However, they are not required by law to provide that information. There is technically nothing wrong with what's in the manual.

There is a point where the vehicle headrest may interfere, but the child's head is still below the top of the vehicle seat.

CrazyBoysMamma

I'm really hoping this is another instance of a customer service person pulling answers out of their @$$. If not I guess I won't be getting Patrick a Vivo to replace his Parkway, he'll get the PB which is now useless to Aidan since his head is above the seat back and I'll be schlepping a Frontier 85 all friggen over the place. :mad:

Baylor

I'm really hoping this is another instance of a customer service person pulling answers out of their @$$. If not I guess I won't be getting Patrick a Vivo to replace his Parkway, he'll get the PB which is now useless to Aidan since his head is above the seat back and I'll be schlepping a Frontier 85 all friggen over the place. :mad:

She said that was per Engineer. :( I hear you. Im staring at my car and thinking what do I do next. Im going to use the GN as long as I can for DS1, And I have the FR85 for DS2.

But lots of shlepping. I think I'm putting PB in Dh's car because he rides in it once in a great while and its headrest don't interfere.

Craptastic.

_juune

I KNOW!! First I emailed them and got a response could I tell them what country I am in so I can get correct reply. Does anyone have one that is sold abroad that might have different wording? I looked on my seat too and there is no mention of headrest needed..
As for being sold abroad -- the Probooster looks similar to the Monza seat sold in Europe, there is a link to the manual lower in that page. There is something about vehicle seat head rest on chapter 8.

Baylor

As for being sold abroad -- the Probooster looks similar to the Monza seat sold in Europe, there is a link to the manual lower in that page. There is something about vehicle seat head rest on chapter 8.

It is a different seat with different options however.. even in this one it says

Some in-car head supports obstruct the
installation of the child seat so that it must
be removed beforehand. In this context
it is necessary to ensure that no unwanted
distance is created between the back
rest of the child seat and the back rest
of the car seat. Height adjustment of the
head support of the child seat may be
restricted due to the presence of the
car’s head support.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC