DS outgrowing Britax Frontier 85...help!!

jawynn

DS is 4y 9 mo, 50 lbs - Britax Frontier 85.

This week, I had to adjust the carseat to the highest harness level (approx. 20" seated height). I know based on his age and weight he is "legally" eligible to ride in the Frontier 85 as a booster. However, I am VERY VERY hesitant to switch him when the time comes in the next few months as he outgrows the harness height. Not only because I know he is safer in a harness, but because he is active and I know he couldn't sit properly at all times in a booster. (And in my opinion, I really don't think any child could make it to 85 lbs. in the harness if the harness height only goes to 20 inches.)

Is there ANY other carseat with a higher harness height that DS can stay in longer than the next few months?

Thanks!!

ADS

asch884

As far as I know the Frontier 85 is the tallest harness height at 20 inches. The only thing that goes taller are special needs seats and unless you have a child with a diagnosis they are very expensive. My son has Autism we could need one of these seats someday but because he is diagnosed with autism our insurance will help pay for it.

Could you maybe try the booster from Britax. The Parkway SG it has the secure guard that clips onto the lap part of the seat belt to stop the kids from sliding under the belt.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
My bored kid had about 1/4 inch to grow, and that took him almost a year. I wouldn't worry a whole lot.

henrietta

Can't the SG clip be purchased separately from Britax and used w/the Frontier 85? I thought I read that here??? If that's allowed, that could be an excellent solution for him--and if Britax allows locking the shoulder belt--you're doing even better!

(The SG clip attaches to the lap belt and to create a 4th point b/t their legs, like the crotch strap).

henrietta

(BTW--Holy torso kiddo!!! He sounds like my nephew!!!)

misstj9

Can't the SG clip be purchased separately from Britax and used w/the Frontier 85? I thought I read that here??? If that's allowed, that could be an excellent solution for him--and if Britax allows locking the shoulder belt--you're doing even better!

(The SG clip attaches to the lap belt and to create a 4th point b/t their legs, like the crotch strap).

yes there is, I just read a bunch of older threads on here about it, and looked it up on Britax's site: http://www.britaxusa.com/accessories/secureguard-clip.

My DS2 is in a Frontier (the older style with the 18.5 inch slots) and at 5y 8mo and 47" (16.5" torso), he still has another click on the headrest before he's outgrown it. I'm surprised your DS is outgrowing it already!!

luckyclov

Holy schnikes, how tall is he?!:eek:

My 47.5", VERY long torso'ed, 7-year old DD still has between 1/2-3/4" inch to grow in her Frontier85.

Like others have mentioned, the FR85 is the tallest harnessed seat on the market. If he's truly outgrown it in harness mode, there isn't a whole lot of option left but to get him booster trained. You can purchase a slide/secure guard clip from Britax to use with the FR85.

Sometimes kids reach a point where they stop growing for awhile, too. So if he's got a bit of harness room left, it may take longer to outgrown then what you're thinking. My DS1 stayed the same height for a year once.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
My ds has about a 16.5 to 17" torso at the same age as OP's son and I know that he's quite tall in the body for his age. He has 3 harness positions left on his Frontier XT.

How tall is your son overall? Are you feeling for the plastic when you check the harness height? Sometimes the cover holes sit lower than the actual slots in the shell itself.

Hopefully he's just finished a growth spurt and has awhile left yet. I'd also try installing the seat more upright if it's in more reclined right now. Pushing the seat towards the vehicle seatback before tightening it up should result in a more upright install.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC