Dodge Caravan 2000 bench seat in 2001?

Baylor

I am thinking of buying another 3rd row bench seat to make my car an 8 passenger car instead of 7. I was wondering if anyone knows if the 3rd row bench from a 2000 is compatible and if it would have the 3 anchor points I have now for that bench seat.

Thanks! I am not sure this is in the right spot. I hope so!

ADS

TerisBoys

2001 is the first year Dodge minivans came with LATCH. 2000 has to have retrofit top tethers, and no lower anchors at all.

In addition, 2001 is the ONLY year that Dodge minivans had top tether anchors in all 3 positions for the rear bench. 2002 cut it back to center only if I recall correctly.

Baylor

2001 is the first year Dodge minivans came with LATCH. 2000 has to have retrofit top tethers, and no lower anchors at all.

In addition, 2001 is the ONLY year that Dodge minivans had top tether anchors in all 3 positions for the rear bench. 2002 cut it back to center only if I recall correctly.

That is good to know. I am going to leave my bench in the rear and put the car seats there. Use the new bench folded down most the time but only up when I have others riding with me. So I am not too concerned with the latch or anchors. Even if I have to put DS1 there in that bench, He is now boostering won't use latch either. I knew that my van was like the magical year for latch and anchors.. I have 5 of them for each seat position.

Thanks for that information!! I knew someone here would know!

Baylor

One more question. If I get the bench and want to tether his seat, There are anchors in my floor for the seat positions, empty ones. Could I tether to that? It would be for the booster only. Just to make sure it does not fly in a crash.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I wouldn't use that vehicle seat anchor on the floor to tether a belt positioning booster that allows tethering, or a FF harnessed seat. Only use a vehicle's designated top tether anchor for tethering FF. You can rebuckle the vehicle seatbelt for an unoccupied booster rather than using an unapproved vehicle part as a substitute top tether anchor. If you wish to continue to have top tether anchors for all rear seating positions, I'd recommend acquiring another 2001 Caravan's third row bench instead of a 2000 model's third row. As Teri wisely mentioned, the 2001 model year's third row bench already has factory equipped top tether anchors, but the 2000 model does not, and I believe retrofitting a 2000 model's third row involves installing tether anchors in the vehicle floor behind the third row instead of on the vehicle seat. Plus the 2001's third row bench as you know also has lower LATCH anchors that you could use for a LATCHable booster. This way there's also less of an unknown about any compatibility issues between the 2000 and 2001 model years for swapping the third row bench into the second row.

Baylor

Thanks. I figured I would use it only for extra passengers and keep my kids in the 2001 bench. From everything I have looked at they look compatible with the vehicle itself.. just lacks all the fun stuff my bench has for installing car seats.

TerisBoys

If it were me, I would not mix model years. At least not without checking with Chrysler-Dodge first. There were body changes between 2000 and 2001. Heck - LATCH was added, and floor mounted tethers can not be added to the 2001. They could to the 2000. Something seemingly small could make the difference between the earlier seat staying put or becoming a projectile in a crash.

If you're looking to swap out the middle 2-seat bench, you really won't gain much with the 3-seater. The middle is lap only with no headrest. If the gap between the side of the van and the 2-seat bench bothers you, another option would be captain's chairs. Which actually gives a lot more flexibility than a bench. One up, one folded, both folded, one removed, both removed. And they're a heck of a lot easier than wrestling a 3-man bench.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Do the slots and bars for the seats line up on the 2 man and 3 man benches?

They don't in the '99 my father has, or we were going to do the same thing... they just don't click in :(

Baylor

If it were me, I would not mix model years. At least not without checking with Chrysler-Dodge first. There were body changes between 2000 and 2001. Heck - LATCH was added, and floor mounted tethers can not be added to the 2001. They could to the 2000. Something seemingly small could make the difference between the earlier seat staying put or becoming a projectile in a crash.

If you're looking to swap out the middle 2-seat bench, you really won't gain much with the 3-seater. The middle is lap only with no headrest. If the gap between the side of the van and the 2-seat bench bothers you, another option would be captain's chairs. Which actually gives a lot more flexibility than a bench. One up, one folded, both folded, one removed, both removed. And they're a heck of a lot easier than wrestling a 3-man bench.

My thinking is not really gaining all three slots. I want the bench because if I put it in the middle and fold it down, My sons have access to their seats from either door and folded down I can watch them better in the rear. When I have someone else that needs to ride, I can just flip it up and gain two seats. It is not for the kids..
Do the slots and bars for the seats line up on the 2 man and 3 man benches?They don't in the '99 my father has, or we were going to do the same thing... they just don't click in :(

The 3 seater bench can be either in the front position or back. The 2 seater can only be in the front. It stinks because if I could move that in the back and the 3 seater forward, That would be all I needed.

I don't know about captains chairs.. They would ride outboard right? Is there enough room for someone to get around them to the rear? Can they be installed in the rear? I am not opposed to that.

They don't in the '99 my father has, or we were going to do the same thing... they just don't click in :([/QUOTE]

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC