Do headwings really make a difference in side impact collisions?

HappyMommy

Hi,

Trying to decide whether or not I should get the radian XTSL or just a regular radian (65SL or 80SL). Are there any studies that show that headwings provide more protection in side impact collisions? Any reasons why you think headwings make a difference?
Thanks!

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
No, there isn't any research available to us about headwings and the potential protection they could provide. They aren't regulated or tested to any standard, so companies can claim that they provide side impact protection, but we don't actually have any numbers or statistics to prove that the headwings do provide an actual safety benefit.

I went for the Radian XTSL. I wanted the potential for the 45 pound rear-facing limit, so that ruled out the 65SL for me. The XTSL was about $30 more than the 80SL, and I decided that the extra money was worth it for the headwings. Part of my reasoning was thinking that the headwings would make a nice place for my son to rest his head while sleeping (and they do) and part of it was for the potential for side impact protection.

Right now, the seats I use for my kids all have headwings or deep sides, but I've used a Marathon before, which doesn't have headwings or deep sides compared to a lot of other seats. I was comfortable using the Marathon rear-facing for my daughter, so it's not that I think headwings are necessary. I think with the Radian XTSL, where great online deals can be found, it was worth the extra money for me.

mamabear

this is a video (made by Britax, so they refer to Britax a lot) but it's still good about explaining a lot about side impact crashes and protection:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKdKjs6rhTU"]YouTube- Car Seat Side Impact Protection Explained[/ame]

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
A couple years ago I read a book ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/Stiff-Curious-Lives-Human-Cadavers/dp/0393324826/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274300875&sr=8-1"]Stiff[/ame]--hilarious yet SOOOOO interesting) about what happens when we die, including various uses of cadavers. One of the sections was about using cadavers in crash testing, and she went into a detailed explanation about side impacts and why they're so deadly. Basically, our heads are meant to bob backward and forward. They're not meant to bend to the side. Side-impacts can cause the neck to snap sideways.

I don't know whether side wings do much (if anything) to prevent that, but it seems logical that they would. Just my :twocents:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I would think that deep wings close to the head and padded with energy absorbing material of some kind would be at least a small benefit in a side impact. Probably a little more in a rear-facing install, where the head tends to be contained better in the wings. In a front facing install, it is more likely that the head will move forward beyond the wings and they will offer no added protection at all. That is because many side impacts have some forward motion, as the vehicle being struck is often moving and not stopped.

I'm not sure we will ever see real data on something like this. It's one of those factors easily masked by misuse and other variables that cannot be correctly documented after a crash.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC