Display Car Seat

A

Adreea Walters

So my husband works at a big chain store and asked me which car seat I wanted him to get and sent 2 pictures which had the "display only not intended for sale" label on the headrest. I asked if he was intending on getting the display model which he asked why and I said it states clearly for display only on it and he said that they are there because the store won't profit from the sale of it...and a lady that works with him said she worked in a factory that manufactured carseats and the displays are the same and typically made better so people will want to get them. I don't trust that it will be safe. Does anyone have knowledge about this?

ADS

DogznKatz

Our program had display seats donated. Some were labeled as such and others were not. I called the manufacturers and each one said they were NOT to be used in cars.. I can tell you the most if not all were missing components. We chose to use them for demonstration purposes at various tabling events in our community.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I totally agree with DogznKatz. The display seats I come across are almost always missing components and have been abused in some manner, whether that's been dropped or something else. Not to mention having someone else's kid's dirty diaper in it—ew—if they tried it out. Do you feel comfortable enough to know how to rethread a harness, if necessary? Know what's missing from the seat? I'm not even sure I'd trust some techs *I've* trained to be able to do that without more practice with me (which they get at checkup events). Our point is a safety item isn't a place to cut corners. There are nice, safe carseats for really reasonable prices if you need suggestions for a new out-of-the-box (or bag) suggestion.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I know that at least one company uses seats that did not pass quality control as "display models."

If you live in a state where proper use is required (Most states) using a product marked as display only would technically be illegal, which might hold some sway in an argument.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC