Question DIONO RADIAN harness/belt troubles

Em1

I am new to using my baby's DR100 so please bare with me if I don't make much sense. I lack the technical terms for the moment.

I am having troubles with the harness/belt. For some time now, I noticed while trying to tighten it properly, the left shoulder belt is looser than the right one. I keep starting over again and again but one shoulder belt is always looser than the other no matter what I do. I looked in the back if it's twisted by any chance or something might be loose but found nothing wrong. I also did not temper with the Tech's original installation - I am too chicken to do that. :D

I use the pull from the back method to tighten up the safety harness on my baby.

I know I am the one doing something wrong because I lack enough knowledge and exercise.

I would very much appreciate if y'all would help me realize what am I doing wrong and how can I correct the harness issue.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If it's been happening the whole time it's possible one strap is longer than the other. This has been known to happen with Radians. Did the tech have you install and teach you? This is just the situation when you need to be able to do it, because it could be different length straps or a strap caught underneath, and the way to tell is to take it out, check the routing, check the strap lengths, etc. :)

MUTigers

I have had the same problem with my radian. Two things help fix it: (1) make sure the chest clip is straight, for some reason that affects it on my seat, and (2) re-centering the child's hips in the seat. When both of these are done my straps are equally tight.

FWIW, I've checked my straps and they appear the same length (I should probably check them when not attached to the seat though...)

Mercuria

I have this problem sometimes when I accidentally get the body pillow caught under the harness at a hip, but if it's always happening, and always the same side, I'd suspect the seat.

Could you take some pictures? And try comparing there harness lengths without the baby in the seat?

On another note, we prefer that techs teach you to install rather than do it for you and send thou on your way. That way, you won't get stranded if, say, a mechanic uninstalls the seat (it's been known to happen). Here's a list of some techs on this board who can help:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=59135

ETA: I've had the "uncentered baby" problem, too. It's so automatic for me to scooch him over when it happens, I didn't even think of that! If you always load baby from the same side, you could look into that, too.

Em1

I have this problem sometimes when I accidentally get the body pillow caught under the harness at a hip, but if it's always happening, and always the same side, I'd suspect the seat.

Could you take some pictures? And try comparing there harness lengths without the baby in the seat?

On another note, we prefer that techs teach you to install rather than do it for you and send thou on your way. That way, you won't get stranded if, say, a mechanic uninstalls the seat (it's been known to happen). Here's a list of some techs on this board who can help:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=59135

ETA: I've had the "uncentered baby" problem, too. It's so automatic for me to scooch him over when it happens, I didn't even think of that! If you always load baby from the same side, you could look into that, too.

Thank you for your response.

Yes, I can take some pictures in the morning. I am not sure if the strap is the real problem but if it's a reoccurring issue with this particular brand, than I might have a defective strap.

I am waiting on DIONO CS to send me a body pillow since the R100 does not come with one.

The Tech (I found her here by asking for help in my very first thread) did answer all my questions between me running my mouth like a broken record on other things and running in and out of the house with the baby. She also explained the carseat to me before installing it and showed me how to install it. I blame myself if I didn't pay close attention. :) Luckily, I have her phone number and I can contact her for help.

I usually do scooch my little one one last time before the final "harnessing" and do one last check on the seat, straps, her. Yes, I usually get her ready from the passenger's side. It's my comfortable side and where I sit during car rides all the time (I was never a fan of the front seat). I also admit that I am paranoid and I fear accidents now that I have my child's life in my hands.

I have had the same problem with my radian. Two things help fix it: (1) make sure the chest clip is straight, for some reason that affects it on my seat, and (2) re-centering the child's hips in the seat. When both of these are done my straps are equally tight.

FWIW, I've checked my straps and they appear the same length (I should probably check them when not attached to the seat though...)

I don't have the courage yet to remove the straps but I will call the Tech and ask for a bit of education on it again.
I will definitely try to pay attention to your advice. Thank you!

If it's been happening the whole time it's possible one strap is longer than the other. This has been known to happen with Radians. Did the tech have you install and teach you? This is just the situation when you need to be able to do it, because it could be different length straps or a strap caught underneath, and the way to tell is to take it out, check the routing, check the strap lengths, etc. :)

Thank you for your advice.

Before I made the thread I used the Search option to look for similar issues and I did read about a couple of ladies having problems with the straps (one that I can remember off the top of my head is the strap length - one can order shorter straps on their official website if the default one is a constant nuisance).
It might be the straps considering others had similar problems. I will ask the Tech about the strap length and routing. I am sure she can show me and explain if she can identify the problem.

Yes, she did explain and showed me. I ran my mouth too much and distracted myself with going in and out of the house with the baby. She definitely did her job properly.

Mercuria

I'm glad to hear that you have access to a good tech!

I know what you mean about being distracted/excited and not remembering things. It happens to me too :)

It really does sound like the seat, though, and not something you're doing wrong. Based on my experience with their CS, they'll probably send you new straps for free, if that's the problem.

Em1

I took some pictures earlier in the day. Photobucket is being a butt and won't resize the pictures. I am sorry in advance for the hugeness.
Please, excuse the dirt inside, I haven't had the chance to take the car to be properly cleaned. It was also raining+snowing. :eek:

DSCF6598.jpg

DSCF6596.jpg

DSCF6597.jpg

DSCF6599.jpg

Another question that I have regrading the DR. Is it allowed to have both seatbelt and latch mechanism in the same time to keep the carseat in place?
The Tech installed the carseat only with the seatbelt but I added the latch, as well. I'm paranoid.

DSCF6600.jpg

MUTigers

I took some pictures earlier in the day. Photobucket is being a butt and won't resize the pictures. I am sorry in advance for the hugeness.
Please, excuse the dirt inside, I haven't had the chance to take the car to be properly cleaned. It was also raining+snowing. :eek:

Another question that I have regrading the DR. Is it allowed to have both seatbelt and latch mechanism in the same time to keep the carseat in place?
The Tech installed the carseat only with the seatbelt but I added the latch, as well. I'm paranoid.

NO! I'm sure techs on here can tell you more but it is absolutely not allowed to install with both seatbelt and latch!! Use one or the other, NOT both! The seat has been crash tested with each by itself not both together so there is no proof using both is safer. Using both could actually cause more harm than good.

I don't want to sound mean, this is just a big thing I have picked up reading on here!

Mercuria

Not only that, most vehicles don't allow LATCH use in the center position. It may be allowed in your vehicle, but it's likely not.

I'm having a hard time seeing which strap is looser. Could you talk me through what I'm seeing? Thanks :)

Em1

NO! I'm sure techs on here can tell you more but it is absolutely not allowed to install with both seatbelt and latch!! Use one or the other, NOT both! The seat has been crash tested with each by itself not both together so there is no proof using both is safer. Using both could actually cause more harm than good.

I don't want to sound mean, this is just a big thing I have picked up reading on here!

You do not sound mean. :)

I took off the latch immediately after I saw the replies. Thank you for your warning.

Em1

Not only that, most vehicles don't allow LATCH use in the center position. It may be allowed in your vehicle, but it's likely not.

I'm having a hard time seeing which strap is looser. Could you talk me through what I'm seeing? Thanks :)

I removed the latch. I am not sure if it was allowed. It's a 2009 Ford Escape.

The problem I am having now that I removed the latch and left it with the seatbelt as it should be, is that the carseat is no longer tight. It slides back and forth with the angle adjuster if I test it. :doh:

It's the straps in the back. It gets stuck, than one of the straps looks loose and when I try to tighten both straps on my baby, the left one is looser than the right strap. There is no balance.

I am sure I make no sense!

DSCF6599-Copy.jpg

jacqui276

Can you pull both straps off of that metal plate in the back and pull them tight and measure to see if they are the same length?

chasitymarie08

CPS Technician
I am the tech that helped her with the Radian initially.

I plan to go back and help her with the install again within the next couple of days and try to diagnose the issue with the harness. I do believe the issue is how it's resting on the splitter plate.

I'm going to toy with the install and see if the seat belt may be causing a tilt/loosening issue. If so I'll teach her how to use a locking clip.

To confirm, I do not think her car allows the borrowing of LATCH but I have misplaced my LATCH manual and plan to order a new model soon. :)

Em1

The CST just left. Chasity identified the problem and explained everything I need to know while showing me how to reinstall the carseat.

I will let her explain better since she know the CST ligo.

Thank you all for your valuable advice.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC