Diono in a Dodge 2002

U

Unregistered

I read the manual for our Dodge 2002 caravan and it states that you cannot rear face car seats at all in this vehicle!! I am not at all happy about this.. We got a diono radian rxt to do extended rear facing. The anchor system is only for forward facing.. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The top tether anchors are for forward facing only. You can rear face using the lower anchors or the seatbelt without an issue.

Are you having installation issues we can help you with?

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Yes, Please! The only lower anchors that I could find were on the floor. Also the seat belt is not locking like it should.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The seatbelt locks at the buckle, not at the shoulder. You don't have lower anchors, but as you found you do have forward facing top tethers.

So you'll thread the seatbelt through the rear facing belt path, add weight to the seat, and pull the seatbelt tight. It helps if you pull by the buckle on the shoulder belt portion. That way you know you're getting the lap belt tight. Give it a firm handshake under the belt path with your non dominant hand and check for less than 1" of movement.

Wendy

tiggercat

My understanding is that latch was standard in caravans starting in 2001 (my 2002 has lower anchors and top tethers in both captain chairs). Have you visually inspected the seat for anchors at the bight? Do you have capt chairs or bench seating in the second row?

Fwiw, radian rearfacing was not compatible in my van in the captain chairs using a seatbelt install due to forward leaning buckle stalks further forward than the belt path. Latch install was fine.

One more edit: latchplate in older caravans tend to slip, I have to flip mine a half twist to force them to lock, or use a locking clip. OP's mileage may vary, of course.

mom of six

I used to have a 2003 Dodge caravan. Maybe I can help.

Do you have captains chairs or a middle bench? There should be latch anchors and a tether anchor on each of the captains chairs or two sets on the bench if you have the center bench.

There should be one tether anchor in the center if you have a full bench or slightly off center if you have the split rear bench.

I was able to install a rear facing radian on my captains chair with the seat belt.

Shoot me any questions you have. I don't have the van anymore so I can't take pictures but we had it for 6 years and installed A LOT of car seats in it. I had radians and a frontier and comfort sports and SnugRIde 22s and a snugride 32 and several boosters at various times in that van.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC