Dilema - Money matters

ndondo

I would love to get BJCM single
but at $350 price tag at tjkids here in BC, Canada I could not afford it

This would be my first son

after hours of research I sort of know I will either end up with
1. Some kind of Graco Travel System $200 - $299 Canadian
2. hand me down car seat + universal car seat carrier $30
3. Quinny Freestyle 4XL travel system with car seat Used $150 - $200 from craigslist
4. hand me down car seat + Jeep Liberty Stroller/Some Kolcraft Stroller from Walmart in the US $150 - $160 USD
5. Valco - Unknown model http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nvn/bab/1398648792.html

I would like to get your opinion , what other options that would fit my budget
and still able to get some decent stroller. that I will be happy with

even this options seems to be out of my reach
1. used from craigslist Peg Perego pliko P3 $200ish Cad + Viagio Car seat $200ish
seems to be too expensive for a used item
2. New Graco Safeseat $150 + Used Car seat carrier $40 + used Peg Perego Pliko P3 $150 - $200ish
3. New Graco Safeseat $150 + used valco stroller from craigslist

are there any other options out there.
your advice is very appreciated /

thank you

Edit
After getting suggetions bellow in this thread
1. True fit $160 (hopefully I can get them while on sale) + Chicco Liteway $149
2. True fit $160 (hopefully I can get them while on sale) + Graco Ipo less than $100
3. True fit $160 + Britax Vigour $189 http://www.albeebaby.com/brvistinpl.html
4. True fit $160 + Britax blink $149 From http://www.diapers.com/

Last edited:
ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Peg Perego car seats are not wonderful to install in a lot of cars. In fact they are horrible. Just to warn you. And for that price I wouldn't bother with the stroller anyway. (The $200-- was that for a used car seat? We NEVER recommend buying a used car seat.) Ditto the car seat in number 4-- if you have to buy a car seat or a stroller, buy a car seat.

I'd just skip the travel system, personally. A universal carrier if you really need it. And get a decent used single or a cheaper one that's decent. (That would NOT be a Graco system-- stay away! LOL! There's a new Graco lightweight stroller that seems okay but the Graco strollers I've had have all crashed and burned rather quickly.) I know lots of folks love the Quinny, I don't feel it but lots do. I am a babywearer myself, though, so I almost never put a newborn in a stroller, so I should probably shut up now, lol.

ctbcleveland

If you have a newborn on the way, I'd recommend a new car seat and a universal car seat carrier. If you are in BC - winter is probably pretty rough, and you will likely want to keep the baby bundled up, in an infant car seat.

Here is the benefit of doing this - you can wait to buy another stroller in the summer once you actually know how you'll use it. I have a Chicco umbrella stroller and then a Valco all terrain stroller. These work for my lifestyle, but the Valco would be overkill for many people.

I hate graco travel systems - the strollers tend to be huge and bulky. That is why the strollers are always on sale on craigslist.

Baby Jogger is coming out with the City Micro, which will be less expensive than the Mini. That might be worth checking out. The Chicco liteway is the revised version of my stroller, which now offers a full newborn recline. Valco is also supposed to come out with a new stroller that is more affordable (per the Baby Bargains book), so that might be a nice fit. If you've not gotten that book yet, I highly recommend it.

ndondo

Yea, all I kept thinking is too minimize cost.

my dw keep telling me not to spend on $500 stroller. she thinks it such a waste of money

but I also don't want to cheap out and then end up getting a hassle full stroller , broken, and end up have to buy another one.

what if all the used car seat I mention in all the option above are from last year. they are from a friend of mine. is it still recommended to get a new car seat? any reason? or just hygienic?

Jennifer mom to my 7

Well, I would stay away from the peg, like pp said.

You would want to make sure the seat passes the used car seat check list.
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/usedseat.aspx

YOU also want to make sure the harness straps were never emersed in water. Basically, you are trusting the safety of your baby on the word of your friends, kwim? So, if you trust your friends, you most likely can trust the seat.

Heehee, and I am really surprised your dw is the one that doesn't want to spend the money on the stroller. I am a stroller junkie:)

ctbcleveland

I unfortunately have friends who I trust immensely but would not buy/borrow used seats from them.

Do they have kids consigments sales up there? They are usually in the fall and spring and are great places to buy used baby gear.

I would really go cheap on other baby gear items (like high-chairs, bouncy seats, exersaucers, etc.) and save your money on a new car seat and a used, but better brand stroller.

northernmommy

I wouldn't reccomend the Quinny Freestyle 4XL if you're going to be using it anywhere that you might need to turn :twocents: I've got one, ad while I love the big wheels and reversable seat, that beast is best when pushed straight forwards!

LuvMyCharlie

I just got a BJCMicro to use in place of my Valco Tri-mode for quick trips in and out, and I'm :love: it. It really is a bare bones BJCM. I can take some pictures if you'd like. The only thing is you'd have to by the infant car seat adaptor to go with it, because the stroller seat has virtually no recline. My 2 y.o. hasn't slept in a stroller since he was four months old, so that's no deal breaker for me. But I understand that alot of people really want and use the full recline of the BJCM.

ndondo

ok I will stay away from Peg Car seat - Thanks
and will stay away from Quinny Freestyle too

Yea. I found there is swap meet going on this saturday I am going to check it out. But you suggest not to get used car seat . so I can only look for high chair and stroller at the swap meet then

The graco carseat for $150 ad tjKids sounds good.

with the budget I have . now I need to find a stroller for $50 - $100 *cringe.. :confused: that is compatible with the graco safeseat

Now I keep hearing there is stroller that can be used from infant to todller without car seat? How is that work? how is the infant harness inside the stroller or does it even use harness at all or maybe it just laying the infant flat without harness?

I tried to look for baby jogger city in craigslist vancouver, but no luck
if you see a baby jogger city deal. please let me know :). I am willing to drive down to washington state if there is a store that sells BJCM for a really good deal
BJCM stroller seems to be the general favorite in here
it is $229 here http://www.peppyparents.com/servlet/the-185/Baby-Jogger-City-Mini/Detail
but With shipping and all. probably gonna run me upward to $300ish
what car seat does BJCM compatible with?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There are plenty of strollers with a full or almost full recline for a newborn, and a 5 point harness. You could probably even find one used for under $100. :) I brought my third home in a convertible and when we were not wearing her that's what we used-- a Maclaren with the full recline.

ndondo

any suggestion on stroller that can be used from birth to toddler?

which maclaren stroller can be used from birth to toddler?

name as much popular stroller that can be used from birth to toddler .. then I will look in to it

if I get the stroller that can be used from birth to toddler
what do you think about the idea of never use car seat on stroller?
is it okay?

that way I can just have a car seat, installed in the car .. then a stroller I can just put the baby there..

again I would like to keep it under $300 .. all for $200 (car seat and stroller) will be nice

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have a Chicco C1 (the European C1, to be exact) and really like it, mostly. However I have not seen much to impress me with their lighter-weight strollers-- and they seem flimsy to me.

If I were going for a lightweight stroller, I'd want something sturdier, or else something cheaper (so I at least felt like I was not overpaying.)

ndondo

isn't it better to buy convertible car seat (true fit) and a stroller that fit newborn to toddler
instead of buying an infant car seat + stroller + in the future another car seat?

Melanie

If it was me, I'd skimp on the high chair and other baby equipment. Most of this stuff can be bought used for a fraction of the price. A lot of things like exersauser, high chair, bigger car seat aren't needed right at birth so you could spread out the purchases if needed.

But do buy your car seats new. Unless the original owner knows a lot about seats, they could've unknowingly done something to them. Grandma could've put the harness through the washer. You really are trusting that person, and their car seat knowledge, and whoever else had access to the seat with your child's life.

So I'd get a new infant seat. A universal frame to make the infant seat be a stroller (buy it used). Plan on using this set up for 6 months or so. Then get a light weight stroller (again used if possible). Something like the Chicco one below, the Graco Ipo, or a Mac if you can get a good deal. That should get you through all inside stuff and hard surface areas until your stroller years are done. You will most likely wind up with an all terrain type stroller at some point, but it's probably more of a nice-to-have than a need.

Get one of the larger convertible car seat once your infant seat is outgrown.

I should disclose that I'm not a stroller guru by any stretch. Hence, why I have a garage full of cheaper strollers instead of a couple of nicer onces.

how about chicco strollers
it says infant - 37 lbs - any comments?
http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B001...56?ie=UTF8&searsBrand=core&mqnodeid=397733011

This has been my everyday stroller through 2 kids. It has taken a tremendous amount of abuse and is still doing great. It's been to dirt festivals, fallen out of the back of the van more than once, been loaded with probably 75lbs of luggage. I think the weight limit is 35 lbs, but I still push my 40lbr in it. I've even put both kids in = 70lbs.

It doesn't recline flat or even nearly flat. We started using it at 6 months with one of those infant inserts made for car seats. It may have been ok at 4 months or so, but wouldn't work for a newborn.

It has nice tall handles. I'm 5'2" and DH is 6'3" and neither of us kick the wheels.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC