Cybex X-fix plus w/ 4 yr old -- pics

nmb

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35475387@N03/
If this works... this is the first time I've used flickr.
Not great pics, taken w/ my cell phone, camera died on me not too long ago, should be getting a new one in the next day or two, when I do I'll try to get better pictures, maybe some comparison to the Nautilus in booster mode.

Images 62 - 65 are where I think the booster should be. But seems to be above the "green zone" in the picture on the booster (ie too high up); the next notch down is shown in the other 3 photos (66 - 68), it's too low and pushing on his shoulders.

Also -- seems to be too narrow to me, for my DS, he doesn't want to sit all the way back (we didn't drive, just sat in it in the garage, I still have to read the manual, figure out LATCH for it, etc....and intended for this to be a backup seat for awhile). You can kinda see in pic 64... he's sitting crooked 'cause he doesn't fit all the way back. Or seems to be, again, in just a few quick moments in the seat. And since the whole back raises w/ the headrest, it's not going to get wider as he gets taller & bigger.

I love the lab-belt fit, and the headrest, even not reclined I think it'll be great for sleeping. But might end up returning it anyway just because it's narrow, and that will probably only get worse as DS gets older. He's pretty close to the top setting too, in the pictures w/ the headrest up higher, it's at the 3rd click from the top (so 2 higher settings). For only barely 4, I would have thought it would have more room -- anyone know how this compares to the Monterey height-wise?

DS is 4 yrs 3 mos (4 mos on the 30th); 42" and 43 lbs.
Broad-shouldered and long torsoed for his age (although the torso thing has evened out more, he's in 4R pants and XS boys or 5t tops now). Not sure on measurements and can't find the tape measure ATM to measure him....torso height about halfway between the top two harness slots on the Nautilus though, about an inch above the top slot of the Radian.

ADS

armywife12

Thanks for the pics. My son is just about the exact same size so it is nice to see how yours fits. We will be booster training after his 4th birthday and I was thinking of getting this since it's on sale but I wasn't sure if it would be the best seat since his torso is on the longer side. How much growing room does yours have in the seat? Does he like it?

Kat_Momof3

I think the lapbelt fit may be TOO low... other than that, it seems to fit him well, but of course, at only 4yrs old, I'd keep him harnessed.

emars002

I am loving the cybex for my skinny minny! She was only fitting in the turbo so I was happy to find another option :)

Mom-of-Two

That's what I was saying when I commented, I don't actually think I've ever seen a lap belt sit that low before. Very interesting!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I think the lapbelt fit may be TOO low... other than that, it seems to fit him well, but of course, at only 4yrs old, I'd keep him harnessed.

That's what I was saying when I commented, I don't actually think I've ever seen a lap belt sit that low before. Very interesting!

Not good lap belt fit at all. It's so far forward that his pelvis would slide forward 4-5 inches before catching the belt and stopping. Head excursion is directly related to pelvic excursion, so that would be higher as well.

I would not use this seat for him if he were my kid.

emars002

Not good lap belt fit at all. It's so far forward that his pelvis would slide forward 4-5 inches before catching the belt and stopping. Head excursion is directly related to pelvic excursion, so that would be higher as well.

It does not fit that low on my kiddo. I wonder if its that vehicle?
DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

nmb

Hmm...I didn't know that a lap belt could be too low...thanks for the info.:thumbsup: Haven't used it at all, it's still sitting in the living room, I had him sit in it there this morning again and it's definitely too narrow for his shoulders, so we pretty well determined already that it wouldn't work for us, this will just confirm that.

I'll try to get comparison pics of the Nautilus as a booster later today, just for those curious.
(And FTR, DS does ride in the harness right now, and will til he outgrows it, I'm fairly certain he'll be 5 before he does, so not "Harnessed forever".... just couldn't pass up the deal... wish there were more options for trying out a lot of these seats in regular stores to know ahead of time if they are too small....)

nmb

It does not fit that low on my kiddo. I wonder if its that vehicle?
QUOTE]

Could be.
I didn't have mine latched in either (Not sure what difference that would make if any. Or if the latch is required for this booster). This pics were just immediately after taking the seat out of the box, to try it out and see.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

Emars002 is your seat the suede (x plus) seat? We ordered Berry too. I need to try DD out in it this weekend and snap some pic's. My DD is a skinny minny too.

Baylor

Everytime I see pics of kids in it it looks like their chest is being pushed unnaturally out. Is that how it is or is it just the pics?

Glad you said that. I thought so too and just thought it was my newbie eyes...

I don't think it looks comfortable.

firemomof3

Everytime I see pics of kids in it it looks like their chest is being pushed unnaturally out. Is that how it is or is it just the pics?

That is the exact same issue I had with mine :( My kids didn't like the Cybex because they felt like they were being launched out of it :confused:
cybex012.jpg

emars002

Emars002 is your seat the suede (x plus) seat? We ordered Berry too. I need to try DD out in it this weekend and snap some pic's. My DD is a skinny minny too.

No it is the non-plus, the silky mesh feeling seat:) I thought the suede might be too hot in GA and she has had it quite a few months now and the cover still looks great!

emars002

That is the exact same issue I had with mine :( My kids didn't like the Cybex because they felt like they were being launched out of it :confused:
cybex012.jpg

When it first came out, that was what most people on here had said so when I ordered it, I got it with free return and asked DD exactly that "do you feel like you are being launched out of it" and she was like no I love it, its the most comfortable seat I have ever had:p She prefers it over her turbo

firemomof3

It must have to do with the vehicle seat. You can see in my pic she had to arch her back in order for her shoulders to be in contact with the booster. Its such a great design, I wish it worked for us :(

luckyclov

My DS1 (8) wasn't comfortable in the Cybex, either. He said it made his legs and back hurt. I'm guessing the legs were from lack of leg support (although, he's not uncomfortable in his PW/PWSG or PB) and the back is the way he "stuck out" while sitting in it.

Nisha

I love all the features on the cybex as well as the great seatbelt fit on my DD but the seat is no near deep enough and leaves her legs unsupported. Decided to try it on a road trip (DD was begging to keep the seat because she loves it so much even though I told her her legs might hurt after a little while), 80 miles in it and she said when we go home she want's to be back in her radian because her legs/bottom hurt! =(

IMG_2788.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC