crotch buckle placement on dino radian for 5mo old

U

Unregistered

My nephew is 5mos and moving from his infant bucket seat to a Radian R120. I have a question about the crotch buckle placement. He is obviously sitting RF. He is cloth diapered so has a very padded diaper area and with the buckle in the first slot it is so far under him...really makes it hard to get a tight fit when pulling the straps as the buckle has to come up from under him when being tightened, if that makes any sense. Can I move the crotch buckle to the second slot (there are only three), but the space from the first to the second is spaced out further than from the second to the third for some reason. But I can get a much better fit when its in the second slot. Is it ok to have the crotch buckle in the second slot for a 5mo old who is RF???

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The manual states, I believe, to use the outermost one over 30 pounds forward facing. I don't know if that means it's not allowed rear facing or not.

Wendy

geekKT

I have my manual in front of me, so for what it's worth, though this is a brand new Canadian RXT so you may need to check your own manual, mine states on page 37:

For children 5-30 lbs:
Harness buckle can be directly above its buckle slot, or forward of its buckle slot. (the pictures show the strap coming up vertically, or at an angle coming from somewhat under the child as being okay)

If harness bucket strap angles sharply back towards child, move buckle to a rear buckle location. (the picture shows an example where the strap comes from what would be far in front of the child and angles back toward them as not okay)

For children over 30lbs:
Always use forward-most buckle location.

There's no mention of RF/FF in this section of the manual for me at all.

Jessica61624

geekKT said:
I have my manual in front of me, so for what it's worth, though this is a brand new Canadian RXT so you may need to check your own manual, mine states on page 37:

For children 5-30 lbs:
Harness buckle can be directly above its buckle slot, or forward of its buckle slot. (the pictures show the strap coming up vertically, or at an angle coming from somewhat under the child as being okay)

If harness bucket strap angles sharply back towards child, move buckle to a rear buckle location. (the picture shows an example where the strap comes from what would be far in front of the child and angles back toward them as not okay)

For children over 30lbs:
Always use forward-most buckle location.

There's no mention of RF/FF in this section of the manual for me at all.

Same thing mine says.

MommaMia

I contacted Diono directly about the wording. My daughter is just over 30# (but still RFing) and the forward-most crotch buckle position is way too far away from her.

Diono's response:
"Per our engineers, the manual is correctly written and meant for the FF position.. Albeit, not very clear, it is okay to use the buckle slot that best fits your child in the RF mode. As you can see from the pictures, the Radian is in the FF position on page 37. . Buckle position is important in FF position due to forward pelvic movement of a child in a frontal crash. During RF crash test, there is no safety concern because of the way a child moves during a frontal crash. It is much different than FF. If you need further explanation, please give me a call!"

geekKT

Good to know on Diono's response, thanks! You're right, in the picture the seat is forward facing, but I guarantee I would not have put all that much thought into it after reading the way it's worded and there being no actual mention of the direction.

Sounds like any slot is still okay for RF, and with the OP's nephew being 5 months I'm sure they can use whatever slot fits him best.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC